Swapping perm for fixed-term role?

Man of Honour
It is possible that an opportunity may come up at work to move out of my existing permanent role into a new role at the same company. I don't have full details of the position yet, but it does appeal to me. One snag is that it would be a fixed-term (2yr) role. I am confident that I could get another job afterwards, and have a large savings pot to fall back on, so job security isn't as paramount for me as it might be for others.

Has anyone done anything similar or any other thoughts on this?
In terms of negotiations for the new role, if it gets that far, how would you play it? The role itself is not inherently any more senior than my current role, but if I'm swapping a stable role for a something with an end date then I feel I should be able to command more money.

Some pros and cons of the two positions are outlined below:

Current job
+Feedback suggests I am generally well respected by team, peers, management, stakeholders etc
+Gives me a broad range of exposure, most days are different
+Stable position with good job security
+Good work ethic in the team, reliable people happy to help each other out
+Potentially a stepping-stone to a more senior role in future
+Lots of interesting stuff to get involved with and exert influence over
+Excellent line manager and good peer support network.
-Broad nature of the role makes it difficult to give adequate focus to any one facet
-Typically spend about 75% of office hours in meetings which makes it difficult to get much done
-Very busy so work a lot of extra hours and still have a massive ageing to do list
-A couple of responsibilities I don't enjoy that can get quite stressful
-Relatively high level of accountability / responsibility (people, budgets, systems etc)
-One or two people that can be difficult to manage at times
-Potentially exposed if key team members were to leave

Potential different job
+Very focused position on a large programme
+Exposure to a lot of senior people in the organisation so good opportunity to raise my profile
+Feel I have a lot of relevant experience whilst also capability to learn more
+Already involved in the programme so have a good foundational knowledge, also has strong ties to my current team so can harness those relationships
+Believe I would enjoy most of it and have more capacity to add value than I do currently
+If it goes well could be a good reference point for the CV
+No or very limited line management
-Risky as my current role would be backfilled, meaning I could be out of a job in a couple of years
-High profile, focused role means potential to be made a scapegoat if things don't go to plan (high stakes, potential to be out-manoeuvred by experienced political operators). Just generally more politics, on a programme where underperformers have been fired.
-Potential to involve a fair bit of (undesirable) overseas travel
-Probably a bit more isolated in terms of less direct support from line manager etc

Caporegime
I'd ask for more money and go for it... keep your CV/linked in up to date. Talk to recruiters etc...

Do well at the role, play the game politically, go for interviews every so often and at the end of your fixed term ask for more money.

It actually seems ideal for asking for more money if you're confident you'll perform. Ordinarily if you didn't have that 2 year cliff then threatening to leave unless they pay you more could sour relationships... but when you've got a default option of you leaving after 2 years then the onus on them is to give you a good offer to stay on.

You deffo need them to pay you more up front too, you're taking on risk + letting them off the risk of having to pay redundancy etc... if they don't want the role in 2 years time.

Associate
I guess only you will know but your negatives on the potential job certainly sound like they are worse than your current one so I would think why move?

Man of Honour
OP
Main reason is my current role I am basically working flat out all the time, there just isn't enough time to do everything even putting in 2-3hrs extra every day which means:
1) I have to do a lot of stuff to a mediocre standard rather than a good standard which wears you down after a while due to personal pride
2) It feels like a massive house of cards that is about to fall down, all it would take would be 1-2 of my senior people (who are overloaded themselves) leaving to give me a massive problem
3) I rarely get any free time on weekdays
4) Taking holidays is stressful because it just means an even bigger backlog of work to return to

The new job is also a bit more predictable compared to my current role where I get blindsided by some random issue every week, whether that be staffing issues, conflicting project requirements, unexpected system issues, vendor negotiations, urgent high priority requests etc.

Associate
Main reason is my current role I am basically working flat out all the time, there just isn't enough time to do everything even putting in 2-3hrs extra every day which means:
1) I have to do a lot of stuff to a mediocre standard rather than a good standard which wears you down after a while due to personal pride
2) It feels like a massive house of cards that is about to fall down, all it would take would be 1-2 of my senior people (who are overloaded themselves) leaving to give me a massive problem
3) I rarely get any free time on weekdays
4) Taking holidays is stressful because it just means an even bigger backlog of work to return to

The new job is also a bit more predictable compared to my current role where I get blindsided by some random issue every week, whether that be staffing issues, conflicting project requirements, unexpected system issues, vendor negotiations, urgent high priority requests etc.
Ok so now you have added in them negatives the potential job now sounds like maybe the right move, but I would want more money as you will maybe need to save a buffer in case at the end of the 2 years you have to find something else

Back
Top Bottom