1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch for home network

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by theleg, Jan 13, 2020.

1. theleg

Capodecina

Moved into a new house which has ethernet cables already in the walls leading to the loft where it looks like some kind of network equipment was removed.

Id like to put a switch in there to link to a couple of wireless APs and run lines to the TVs and PCs in the house but also have some PoE to run some cameras etc.

Is there any reason I would need more than a relatively simple unmanaged 24 port PoE jobbie? Can anyone recommend something that would do the job?

2. ChrisD.

Capodecina

If you don't think you need more then you likely don't, just make sure the PoE of the switch you go for matches that of the PeE devices you're using.

3. WJA96

Capodecina

Which APs are you using? Do you know the PoE standard they require?

4. theleg

Capodecina

Nothing has been bought yet but im liking the unifi stuff

5. WJA96

Capodecina

Then open a vein and buy a Unifi switch. The Gen 1 16-port PoE switch (US-16-150W) is still decent and offers full 24V and 48V PoE on all 16 ports. The Gen 2 (US-16-150W Gen2) only has 8 48V PoE ports but it does have a tiny display that you'll never look at once its installed in the loft.

6. thebandit

Hitman

As a slightly more budget minded alternative you could go for the TP-link equivalent kit (EAp225/EAP245 AP's and TL-SG switches), that's the way I went, very pleased with it, set and forget.

7. theleg

Capodecina

is there a 24 port, unmanaged POE switch from tplink? i cant seem to find one.

8. WJA96

Capodecina

It rather depends what you mean by Unmanaged? Pretty much by definition, a PoE switch has to have some management built into it. Whether you mean a Level 2 switch vs. a Level 3 switch then yes, you should be able to get a Level 2 PoE switch.

TP-Link JetStream T1600G-28PS appears to be what you’re after.

9. bledd

Don

How many aps you thinking?

Don't HAVE to get a Poe switch, could just use an injector..

10. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

This, when you buy UniFi APs they have an injector in the box, a single AP will cover a large 4 bed house if placed in a central location. No need for a POE switch if you only have a few devices.

11. theleg

Capodecina

I am planning on two APs but probably 4 or 5 cameras. How do the injectors work?

12. bremen1874

Capodecina

For that number of devices, a PoE switch would make more sense than using individual injectors.

13. bledd

Don

Yup.

How many wired devices you planning?

14. bledd

Don

Generally Poe switches are only fanless when 8 or less ports are capable of Poe.

15. theleg

Capodecina

probably about 10ish

16. BowdonUK

Mobster

That's a lot of ports.

I always go with the Netgear brand of switches. Never had a problem with them.

I have 2 switches on my network. Router from upstairs to the first switch, then I cabled the upstairs and put another switch near my computer that i have my pc, consoles and tv plugged in to. All work flawlessly.

On the network downstairs I have an CCTV NVR unit plugged in to the router and can get a live feed to my computer upstairs.

17. Avalon

Soldato

At a desktop level, I agree, the GS10x series has been a well proven mainstay of the industry for a long time. However when you start talking about business class switches (rack mount, 16-48port), Netgear has some unfortunate history, it’s not so bad in the US where the old blue style pro switches have lifetime warranty and it actually means something so when the caps go bad they still get replaced, the UK doesn’t receive the same support which kind of sucks. Zyxel and TPLink tend to offer reasonable semi-managed/managed switches with PoE at reasonable prices that are solid performers, I tend to buy 5-8 port Ubiquiti PoE switches for spur use, core tends to be whatever I have to hand or is reasonably priced on the bay of thieves.

18. theleg

Capodecina

Big delay but thanks.

Decided to go for this switch with an eap245 and eap225.

19. ~cw

Associate

Good choice, looks quite similar to the Zyxel GS1920-24HPv2 I bought for workshop use last year but about £100 less :eek: