Switch speaker location? 5.1 (Front right to rear right etc)

Soldato
Hello All,

My brother-in-law is looking at getting a home theatre set up (I've asked in another thread about AV Receiver / speaker recommendations). However, I've just found out he want his TV and Projector in different places.

Is there a way to easily switch speakers i.e. the front right speaker in the Projector configuration will be the back right when watching the TV etc?

Cheers,

Soldato
Is he currently using an AV receiver?

Make some extensions from to back using Banana plugs/sockets and speaker wire, label up and connect as needed. There is probably some fancy mechanical switch available too.

Man of Honour
He's going to need to spend more money than allocated in the other thread.

First, there's no easy way to run a system with speaker switching in the way he wants. Entry and mid-range AV receivers just don't have the sort of speaker matrixing that would be required to two different set-ups. The other issue is that the distance and delay settings would be out for one of the two configurations.

The closest you're going to get is to buy a 7.1 AV receiver that supports the Zone 2 function. In effect, he'd be splitting the room in to two zones. Zone 1 would be 5.1. Zone 2 runs simple stereo. Each zone operates independently of the other, even to the point where part of the amp running Z1 is switched off while Z2 is happily playing.

To make this work, he's going to have to decide which end of the room gets the 'big' sound and which runs just stereo. There's no right or wrong here; it's just what works best for them. It's tempting to think that 5.1 sound should go with the TV, but I'd argue that most TV viewing is casual, so better-sound-than-the-TV through some decent stereo speakers is really all that's required. Leave the 5.1 for big sound to go with the big picture when projecting.

Soldato
OP
He's going to need to spend more money than allocated in the other thread.

First, there's no easy way to run a system with speaker switching in the way he wants. Entry and mid-range AV receivers just don't have the sort of speaker matrixing that would be required to two different set-ups. The other issue is that the distance and delay settings would be out for one of the two configurations.

The closest you're going to get is to buy a 7.1 AV receiver that supports the Zone 2 function. In effect, he'd be splitting the room in to two zones. Zone 1 would be 5.1. Zone 2 runs simple stereo. Each zone operates independently of the other, even to the point where part of the amp running Z1 is switched off while Z2 is happily playing.

To make this work, he's going to have to decide which end of the room gets the 'big' sound and which runs just stereo. There's no right or wrong here; it's just what works best for them. It's tempting to think that 5.1 sound should go with the TV, but I'd argue that most TV viewing is casual, so better-sound-than-the-TV through some decent stereo speakers is really all that's required. Leave the 5.1 for big sound to go with the big picture when projecting.

Thank's again, I don't think the budget is set in stone so a few more £ could be found...any recommendations on a AMP capable of 2 Zone's? He was originally looking at the Sony STRDN1080 which has great reviews and looks like it could do the job? If he went for this would your choice of speakers change?

Thanks again!

Man of Honour
The STR-DN1080 is okay. Sony amps have improved considerably with the launch of the 1080. They've lost the hard, strident edge that made high volume or long duration listening a bit of a chore.

The 1080 appears to have Speakers A/B as well as Zone 2. (Note: A manual I downloaded says that only the USA and Canadian versions have Zone 2 speaker terminals on the rear. I've just checked and they're correct. The American continent version has a dedicated set of terminals alongside the Surround Back / Height / Bi-amp sockets. The Euro version doesn't, but instead adds Zone 2 to the function list of the software switched sockets.)

I had a think about using Speakers B (Sony calls it 'Front B'). You might be able to use this with the 2nd HDMI Out (Out B) to create the second zone and have digital signals working for it.

The speakers for Zone B/Speakers B should either be something big enough to do acceptable bass, or be a second sub/sat system but with just two satellites and - this is important - speaker terminals on the sub.

Soldato
Can't comment too much but have the STR-DN1080 and a pretty fantastic unit for the price. Only compared with few mind so not going to say I have heard everything, but got 0 issues driving my speakers without needing to crank the power up and it sounds great. Likely saw the same reviews I did which is why I grabbed it and been impressed since. Great punch and dynamics.

As someone mentioned above, it does have a zone 2 which only has two output connectors. You can manage that zone independently (power Amps for that zone on/off separate, volume, input etc).

However it does not like he will need zone two, sounds like he wants the same speakers, but shift around their position based on use of TV or projector unless I am reading things incorrectly. Not sure how that will work without unplugging / plugging back in again. Easiest would be to just throw on some banana plugs I would have thought and shift cables around. Will only take a minute or so with cable labelled and plugged up but laborious and usually the speakers will be calibrated for one option or the other (cannot see an option to save multiple calibration profiles). I mean at this point he could use 5.1 as someone suggested with the TV, then unplug the two speakers when using the projector into the second zone. Means he can keep zone 1 calibration settings at the expense of Stereo only.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all for the responses,

@lucid, Think (unless there are compelling reasons not to) my brother in law is going to go for the STR-DN1080, he's up'd the budget to £1000 and looking at getting the "Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 Slim Speaker System" (these have past the domestically pleasing test), would these be OK with Sony? He's going to go multi zone and have stereo for the TV and 5.1 for the Projector, or could he go 3.1 and 5.1? (as a center speaker would be presumably be better for the TV, if this isn't possible stereo will be fine as it's still a big upgrade from the TV speakers)

As ever advice appreciated.

Cheers

Soldato
Thanks all for the responses,

@lucid, Think (unless there are compelling reasons not to) my brother in law is going to go for the STR-DN1080, he's up'd the budget to £1000 and looking at getting the "Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 Slim Speaker System" (these have past the domestically pleasing test), would these be OK with Sony? He's going to go multi zone and have stereo for the TV and 5.1 for the Projector, or could he go 3.1 and 5.1? (as a center speaker would be presumably be better for the TV, if this isn't possible stereo will be fine as it's still a big upgrade from the TV speakers)

As ever advice appreciated.

Cheers

STR-1080 would not have any issues with the 7000i package. Will have more then enough power to power those speakers.

He would need to be aware that he would still need to rearrange two speaker cables if using 5.1 for projector then moving to stereo for the TV (assuming it will be the 5.1 system)? Zone two uses different binding posts on the Amp.

He will not be able to go 3.1 and 5.1, zone 2 only has stereo channels. On the main zone you can go 3.1 however (get all variations in between, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0, 4.1 etc when calibrating it)

Will also add, if he is not adverse to refurbished unit with year warranty, if he is quick, Sony centre do refurbished units for £279: https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-21757-sony-str-dn1080-strdn1080ceka.aspx I picked mine up from there, and worked flawlessly since, mine had one of the metal corners bent, but hidden away so can't see the unit and otherwise works perfect. Others may come with other cosmetic issues etc, but could be worth a think I suppose.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the link, just missed out...it was there when I first clicked, spoke to brother in-law clicked again and it was gone...gutted!

He'll buy another couple of speakers and use them for the TV, again cheers

Soldato
Buy all accounts the STR-DN1080 is pretty great but i choose the Denon 3500H over it which is, in my opinion, is a level higher for pretty much the same price, if you can find one below £500 bite that hand off!

Back
Top Bottom