Switch woes

Soldato
I have been asked to help set up a managed switch as a simple router (is that the right word?)

Basically he wants everything to see everything else on the network.

I have tried:
1) enabling DHCP and setting a manual IP address (192.168.0.1) for the switch, but the PC isnt getting access to the network.
2) using an old sky router to try to give the switch an ip address, but that didnt work either
3) various other half-relevant guides online mentioning vlan... tagged... trunks... etc

Im getting horrendously confused :confused:

Can someone provide some clear instructions to get it set up as a simple router please?

e.g.
1) reset to factory defaults
2) connect via serial to CLI
3) enable ip routing
4) assign a manual IP
5) etc

Associate
As far as I understand it each machine that is on the network will need a username and password adding to it in order for each of the other machines to connect to it, repeat this process for every single machine. After that it's a matter of sharing whichever drive/folder needs to shared and granting access to it.

Stoner81.

Soldato
If you want everything to see everything else then you want just want a dumb unmanaged switch, so ignore all the managed stuff about trunks and VLANs.

Simply plug everything in to the switch and it should work.

Caporegime
Can you explain what you want to do in full, but don't try and take shortcuts by saying "like a simple router" as this is introducing confusion.

Soldato
OP
Can you explain what you want to do in full, but don't try and take shortcuts by saying "like a simple router" as this is introducing confusion.

The idea is that there is a computer which has some software to manage CCTV IP cameras for home security.

To connect all the devices together, we have a switch as the nodal networking device (HP Procurve)

There is no internet access to be concerned with - all of this is meant to be a single offline network.

Are there any other fundamental details you need? :)

Caporegime
It doesn't sound like you need to do anything to the switch in that case. Just reset it to defaults and plug everything in. You will need to use static IP addresses as there won't be a DHCP server on the network.

Soldato
If you had a standard unmanaged switch if you would assign each a device a connected to the switch a static IP and they should all see each other. Since you are a using a managed switch this adds a layer of complexity i'm not familiar with.

Soldato
If you had a standard unmanaged switch if you would assign each a device a connected to the switch a static IP and they should all see each other. Since you are a using a managed switch this adds a layer of complexity i'm not familiar with.

A managed switch on default settings generally just acts like an unmanaged switch.

Soldato
OP
Without anything acting as a dhcp server all the cameras, and the pc will need static IP addresses.
It doesn't sound like you need to do anything to the switch in that case. Just reset it to defaults and plug everything in. You will need to use static IP addresses as there won't be a DHCP server on the network.

So, do i need the sky router at all? im hoping not

Id rather set all the ips statically anyway.

But do I set them on the switch, or on the devices (or both) ?

and is the switch meant to have its own IP address?

Soldato
Set all the IPs on the devices themselves, you can't set them on the switch (At least not on any kind of switch that I've ever used). The switch itself doesn't really need one unless you want to login to the Web GUI to mess with the settings.

Associate
I might be wrong but no-one has yet asked what the switch is?

I see its a HP Pro but what's the model?

So, do i need the sky router at all? im hoping not

Do you use it as your internet line? If so then the answer is yes.

Id rather set all the ips statically anyway.

Make sure you keep a list of what you have assigned. Make sure your DHCP pool has no overlap with your static assignment otherwise that'll be fun to diagnose when someone brings their phone in to work and it wont connect.

But do I set them on the switch, or on the devices (or both) ?

Static addressing can be done on the device where its "Pre configured" with its address. You can also use static mapping where the DHCP server as a list of what IPs to assign to what devices. Its still dynamic assignment but you can controll who gets what.

and is the switch meant to have its own IP address?

Yes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom