Switching.

Associate
I'm an avid gamer/computer programmer/web developer and I do a lot of work/gaming on my main computer (rig specifications below).

I'm just wondering, has anyone ever gone out and bought an apple product, more specifically an iMac (I'm buying the iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz model on Thursday) and then later thought "Oh, maybe I shouldn't of done that?", I'm having second thoughts now.

Why am I thinking this because, although yes:

- The 6770m can play most games at a decent level.
- The top of the line 21.5" iMac is an outstanding machine.

I like customisability and although Ram & HDD's are interchangeable on the mac, it is not as customisable as my PC.

You're probably thinking, "It's not Thursday yet, you've not bought it, why are you thinking like this?", well, I've already ordered it and i'm paying the family members who let me purchase this early on thurs when my Uni loan money goes in .. and then I'll back on track money wise.

I absolutely love Macs and what not and their operating system is second to none, but has anyone else ever been in a situation such as mine? or are you all extremely happy and not a person with doubts such as I?

Associate
OP
I can't wait for the newer versions, I don't really care about the new Ivy bridge personally, I just think for me, it's a bad call because the 6770m? it's not going to offer me any kind of outstanding performance is it? so..

I think I'm going to send it back, tbh.

Edit: I was thinking about sending it back > going to ebay > getting a cheap 2011 MBP from someone there > and then work on my pc parts and what not, that seems like a good route.

Associate
OP
Just a note on the GPU: The 6770m will be much slower than the desktop 6770, plus the gaming performance on OSX will be no where near what the 6770m will do on windows.

Even in Bootcamp? I mean, I absolutely love macs, I find myself more productive while using them, but as it stands at the moment, I barely play on my xbox, I'm always gaming on the pc on games such as: BF3/D3/WoW/etc.

So yeah, I don't think it's a good choice for me anymore. (The Mac) :/.. This is a disappointing day.

Associate
OP
Do you guys think then I'd be better suited with a Macbook Pro 13" along side my current rig with maybe a tweak or two? (new gpu/ssd) and then use that combination? that seems more fitting for my situation right?

Associate
OP
Ah I see, yeah that's the problem I'm facing, even if I go ahead and get the 13" mbp for £850, I'm not sure how much I'm going to have left for computer parts? maybe £500 - £700 but I've got to put like £200 away for food for the month, I'm going home and the mother wants a bit for keep and what not, it's just one thing after another.

I do only really want a new keyboard/ssd/GPU but even that comes close to like £500, >.<

TOO MANY DECISIONS!

Back
Top Bottom