Switching.

Associate
I'm an avid gamer/computer programmer/web developer and I do a lot of work/gaming on my main computer (rig specifications below).

I'm just wondering, has anyone ever gone out and bought an apple product, more specifically an iMac (I'm buying the iMac 21.5" 2.7GHz model on Thursday) and then later thought "Oh, maybe I shouldn't of done that?", I'm having second thoughts now.

Why am I thinking this because, although yes:

- The 6770m can play most games at a decent level.
- The top of the line 21.5" iMac is an outstanding machine.

I like customisability and although Ram & HDD's are interchangeable on the mac, it is not as customisable as my PC.

You're probably thinking, "It's not Thursday yet, you've not bought it, why are you thinking like this?", well, I've already ordered it and i'm paying the family members who let me purchase this early on thurs when my Uni loan money goes in .. and then I'll back on track money wise.

I absolutely love Macs and what not and their operating system is second to none, but has anyone else ever been in a situation such as mine? or are you all extremely happy and not a person with doubts such as I?

Soldato
I agree with Raymond that I wouldn't buy an iMac now full stop, as there are rumours of a refresh within the next couple of months. If you can wait, I'd wait.

I bought a Macbook Pro last February, and I love it, but I don't use it enough as a mobile device as I thought, so I'm going to be swapping it out with an iMac when the refresh happens :)

I haven't really missed the customization I got with my PC... the OS is very easy to use :)

Soldato
Ivybridge iMacs (and MacBook Pros) should be arriving in the next month (give or take) so I wouldn't buy an iMac right now.

However as for buyers remorse. Never had that with any Apple product I've purchased. I don't game on any of my Macs though so YMMV.

Soldato
If you've already ordered it (unless you intend to send it back) then you've made the decision already, no point doubting it now.

If you need it for Uni, you need it for Uni, doesn't matter whether there is a better version coming in a couple of months time.

Soldato
Apple have a no questions asked 14 day returns policy, incase he wants to return it and wait. I personally would wait, but I'm in a position where I can wait :p

Associate
OP
I can't wait for the newer versions, I don't really care about the new Ivy bridge personally, I just think for me, it's a bad call because the 6770m? it's not going to offer me any kind of outstanding performance is it? so..

I think I'm going to send it back, tbh.

Edit: I was thinking about sending it back > going to ebay > getting a cheap 2011 MBP from someone there > and then work on my pc parts and what not, that seems like a good route.

Associate
OP
Just a note on the GPU: The 6770m will be much slower than the desktop 6770, plus the gaming performance on OSX will be no where near what the 6770m will do on windows.

Even in Bootcamp? I mean, I absolutely love macs, I find myself more productive while using them, but as it stands at the moment, I barely play on my xbox, I'm always gaming on the pc on games such as: BF3/D3/WoW/etc.

So yeah, I don't think it's a good choice for me anymore. (The Mac) :/.. This is a disappointing day.

Soldato
Even in Bootcamp? I mean, I absolutely love macs, I find myself more productive while using them, but as it stands at the moment, I barely play on my xbox, I'm always gaming on the pc on games such as: BF3/D3/WoW/etc.

So yeah, I don't think it's a good choice for me anymore. (The Mac) :/.. This is a disappointing day.

My Macbook Pro has a AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB and it holds up well against current games. Obviously the iMac has a bigger resolution of screen, so it'll be a little worse.

The iMacs use mobile graphics cards, probably due to size and heat issues with desktop graphics cards. But dumping my gaming rig (PC) for a Macbook Pro, after thinking that I would be bitterly disappointed with the gaming performance, I was pleasantly surprised :)

Soldato
Let's be honest, if you are an avid gamer you probably shouldn't be buying an iMac unless you are going to have a gaming PC as well.

I am an avid Mac user and for most tasks they are fantastic, not to mention the build quality and finish are both excellent. However for gaming you will be much better off with a custom built PC.

Soldato
6770M = 5770M with a few tweaks

5770M = 5570 - a card that is 2 generations old now.

BF3 at 40fps (they don't mention the res though) on low? No thanks.

I don't think you can change the HDD on an iMac anymore, they use custom power connectors.

Associate

Look at the link Vinnie posted above. Thats the sort of performance you'll get from a 6770m in Bootcamp. In my limited experience gaming on OSX I got about half the frame rate that I would running under Windows.

Associate
OP
Do you guys think then I'd be better suited with a Macbook Pro 13" along side my current rig with maybe a tweak or two? (new gpu/ssd) and then use that combination? that seems more fitting for my situation right?

Soldato
That's what I do. Powerful PC + Macbook Pro is the best of both worlds in my opinion.

+1

I couldn't recommend a mac for purely/mainly gaming purposes. Having said that, the 6770M handles WoW nicely when I'm away from my desktop and I'm craving some gaming. Wouldn't even attempt BF3 on it though, the fans alone would drive me round the bend.

P.S. I know most setups can handle WoW, but this is on mainly ultra settings ;)

Soldato
Let's be honest, if you are an avid gamer you probably shouldn't be buying an iMac unless you are going to have a gaming PC as well.

I am an avid Mac user and for most tasks they are fantastic, not to mention the build quality and finish are both excellent. However for gaming you will be much better off with a custom built PC.

Yeah obviously you'd be better off with a separate gaming PC, but after spending the money Apple want for a computer, you're gonna be poor :p

I don't play nearly as much gaming as I used to, but on the occasion where I do fancy a game (For example, I fancied playing Fallout 3 again at the weekend), the Mac handles them pretty nicely :) (However, you'll find you require Bootcamp for most games, not enough have been converted for Mac users at the moment...)

Associate
OP
Ah I see, yeah that's the problem I'm facing, even if I go ahead and get the 13" mbp for £850, I'm not sure how much I'm going to have left for computer parts? maybe £500 - £700 but I've got to put like £200 away for food for the month, I'm going home and the mother wants a bit for keep and what not, it's just one thing after another.

I do only really want a new keyboard/ssd/GPU but even that comes close to like £500, >.<

TOO MANY DECISIONS!

Soldato
Looking at the computer in your sig and the fact that you're considering spending £500+ ON TOP of that says to me an iMac probably isnt the best fit for you. I'd go with the MacBook and just pace yourself with the PC upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom