Sym XS125-K

Associate
Hi,

I bought the Sym XS125-K bike just before Xmas while it was on their free insurance offer... I managed to get a lock, helmet and jacket thrown in too, so I'm all up and running on my first bike. I'd like to know a bit more about the bike, but cannot find ANYTHING about it online. A couple of reviews but no real details.

The manual that came with it looked like a photo-copied print-off, so I guess you can say that there's very little support. I'm familiar with Cars and the basics of their innermost workings, so was looking forward to being able to work on the bike, for things like servicing, but I can;t find anything.

I've been advised that it's a copy of another more mainstream bike, so I was going to look for some documentation on that.... but I don;t know what it's a copy of.

Anyone any ideas?

many thanks

mike

Associate
OP
Looks a lot like the Yamaha YBR 125 to me, might be worth trying to find a book for that?

As above, looks like a YBR copy.

See if you can find a forum based on the YBR's CB's etc or find a Hayne's manual online and have a look to see how similar they are.

Its a standard 125 so easy enough to get advice when it comes to tinkering with it.

The guy who parked next to me at work has a 2010 model YBR and it's similar, but not the same. I'm interested in the hosing because I have a couple that are just vented to atmosphere and hanging loose, which doesn;t seem right to me. The bike rides fine,a nd there's no oil or fuel coming out of them, so I'm trying to understand what they do.

When it's stopped raining I'll get a photo and post that up...

I'd like to know where to check the oil on this. The break fluid is obvious where that is, but there's no dip stick. I appreciate that these smaller bikes don;t have dip sticks, so how do you check oil levels?

Associate
OP
At least one of the 'tubes' will be an overflow pipe attached to the bottom of your carb to prevent flooding and there should also be one or two breather pipes for the engine. It's completely normal on all bikes to have these loose 'tubes'.

As it's a cheap Chinese bike I'd expect the oil level to be checked using a dipstick. If so, take a look around the bottom end of your engine and it should be obvious which cap is your dipstick.

If not, there'll be a sight glass at the bottom side of the gear box.

There may be a small circular viewing window near the oil filler that you can use to view the oil level.

Wonderful guys +trust

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at the bike when I get it out next..... when this rain heads off.... :(

Associate
OP
FYI, there is a dip stick on the bottom casing - I'm assuming that is the gearbox.

Likewise there is a drain plug at the bottom of said casing. I finally found the manual and had a read... Surprisingly all the detail was in there, despite it being a rather flacid looking publication.

Associate
OP
If anyone is ever in any doubt about these bikes, I've been delighted with mine over the past 6 months. It;s a shame that the screw heads aren't actually chromed, as they'd mostly rusted.

Good points:
Cheap to buy
Cheap to run
Fun
Came with insurance
...and jacket
...and helmet
...and lock
...and a half tank of petrol!!!

Not quite so good:
Takes some getting-the-knack-of starting it
Neutral can be hard to find
Top Speed says 70... comfortably it's 50 though
Rusts...

Associate
OP
Bike went in for it's first FREE service a few weeks ago. They adjusted the brakes, which threw me (almost quite literally) the first time I rode it after. The garage I bought the bike from "The Scooter Centre" in Fazakerley have been really good imho. One problem developed a couple of days later - the clam shell that clamps over the handlebars that houses the throttle has become un-anchored and now turns freely. This means that when I rev the whole throttle assembly moves.

When I got home I removed the entire assembly off by removing the two screws and then un-clamping the "throttle-clam" to see if anything was broken inside. Nothing looked broken, so I tried tightening up the screws... No change. Throttle plus the clam that the throttle is anchored to still all move as one when accelerating.

Next I tried wrapping some electrical insulation tap around the handlebars to increase the diameter of the handlebars, and give the clam something to "bite" into as I tighten up. Now I couldn't tighten the clam up tight enough for it to fit snugly. Grr.

In desperation I took a detour on the bike on my way home from work, and they immediately looked at the problem, and ordered a replacement part, all under warranty!

Bike's being dropped in tomorrow AM, and should take about 30 mins to fix. Still very happy with my XS125-k. I'll shove some pictures up of my pride and joy...

I can't wait to do my full bike license. If this is what a scooter/moped class bike is like, I'm sold for life. I've been driving for 20 years nearly, and I've never had this much satisfaction from a car.

Associate
OP
Nice one. As the bike's new, It'll be going back to the place where I bought it. I wan't to keep up the warranty as it's valid for 3 years. The bike's worth next to nothing second hand, so I want problem free motoring for as long as I can. If however I keep the bike beyond that, the link looks awesomely useful, so thanks-a-million for that. It gives me an idea of prices of things which is always useful.

The manual is the same as the printed one that came with the bike. A+ searching skills my friend.... :)

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk normally lists anything you'd need for a chinese bike however only one Sym model is listed.

This might be the manual that you already have: http://www.sym.com.tw/admin/upload/...5-K.pdf?PHPSESSID=8d7ab7912872d593ee70722d83b which gives you the basics but nothing indepth.

I googled for Sym owners club and found two forums but neither have a section for your particular bike.

It'll have a chinese clone engine that will be very similar to Yamahas engine.

Associate
OP
The garage has replaced the Clam part under warranty, and all is well again. One of the mirrors fell off shortly after, but I managed to park up and retrieve it before someone ran over it. The sticky back to the mirror wasn't sticky enough evidently, or just wasn't making good enough contact with the handlebar attachment.

up to 1600km on the bike so far, the longest trip being about 20km. I'm really starting to get the bug! I've enjoyed coming into work since I got the bike, which is unheard of!!! :)

Associate
OP
110km/h!!!!!!!! No way. You must have been a quivering wreck when you got off!!!! Mine vibrates and feels like parts are going to start dropping off when you get to 85km/h - I've not been above that yet....

Associate
OP
I'm not sure about using Super. It's a different, higher RON rating, which could POTENTIALLY damage the piston head. I'll stick to the regular stuff while the bikes under warranty

What was your like for resale value? What did you pay (new?) and what did you get rid of it for, and after how long?

I picked mine up new for £1600, and that came with insurance, helmet, chain, L Plates and a half tank of petrol. What would I reasonably expect to get for it after 2 years of ownership? I'm hoping to keep it till next year when my CBT expires, and do my full test then.

I was thinking it should be worth around the grand mark, but I'm not sure as you just don't see them for sale, or at least I haven't!

Associate
OP
Just a quick update - finally ventured a little further afield than home-work. On Saturday I took advantage of the belting weather and went to see my parents in Droitwich - on the Sym :)

Due to the provisional nature of my license, motorways are off-limits, so it was A-roads all the way. A couple of stretches of national speed limit, as well as lots of hills and stuff to really open up the throttle and see just what it could do.

The bike handles really well. Sometimes I found myself understeering through some of the bends, but in the main the bike was ok. It bimbles along quite happily at 50 mph, and with a tail wind, steep downward hill, and not too strong a headwind, I managed to get up to 67mph before bottling out.

The bike feels short on power when opening up on open road - it's a 125 though, so I guess that's the reason people move up. I get it now. On hills, the bike struggled to pull my heavy load up above 50 mph - but there is 17.5 stone of me, so that's no surprise really.

All in in all I'm delighted with the bike. It's opened up a new dimension to me.

Liverpool to Droitwich, via Chester, Whitchurch, Shrewsbury, Telford, then Kidderminster was all very well, but at nearly 4 hours (including a stop for a drink and wiping the dead flies of the visor) it was a long trek.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sadd...dPGM-lwSDHrkva4KGZ_Vg&dirflg=h&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

Coming back, I just did Droitwich-Kidderminster-Wolverhampton-Whitchurch-Chester-Liverpool, which I managed on the remainder of the tank, and this was in 3 hours door to door, which was about the time that google said it'd be.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?sadd...hc_bwTcQg&oq=L4&dirflg=h&mra=ls&t=m&z=9&via=1

Petrol, the bike used 20.7litres of fuel - I really was running on fumes by the time I got to Birkenhead, and cost me 15.11 to refill. I'd done 367 km round trip, including going to and from work (21km) on Friday.

15 quid to get from Liverpool to Droitwich, and back again is the best I've managed in a LONG time. I worked out that (using UK Gallon = 4.54609 litres) the bike has averaged 50.13 mpg over the weekend, which for a commuter bike, pushed as fast as I can make it go, for nearly 7 hours is pretty good by my estimations.

I'll check the oil levels at the end of the week. I'm delighted how the bike's performed, and I'm iching to get my full license now so I can have a go on a bike that the trip doesn't seem quite such hard work.

Comfort - I must admit - 3 hours sat in one position was getting somewhat uncomfortable. I found that the bike wasn't slipping into gear quite so easily, but I'm not sure if that's more to do with me just being tired and pussy footing with the gear shift. It was certainly a rude awakening having to pull away in 1st, try switching up, miss, then drop back down to first to then try going up again. Just part of my bikes "character" I guess....

:)

Associate
OP
My YBR was getting 90+ mpg flat out along dual carriageways. You should be getting between 90 and 100.

It's definitely not anywhere near that, nor has it been since I bought the bike. A top up is usually around the £11 mark, and that's for just over 300km, which still gives me around 60mpg - the trip down to the midlands I was expecting to be lower, so the bike's running fine - just not anywhere near as efficiently as your CBR by the sounds of it.

I guess that's part of the false economy of buying one of these cheaper Taiwanese bikes.

Associate
OP
What's it feel like at 67 ? You mentioned bottling out - why?

For a 125 you should be averaging a lot higher than 50mpg! :eek:

Not enough road - or rather a corner approaching that I wasn't sure how sharp it was.

It was also getting quite breezy at 60+ mph - I couldn;t even see in the mirrors they were vibrating that much it was just blurry!

So... I bottled it... :)

Associate
OP
I see lots of claims of 90+ mpg, but I cannot find any references to bikes being that efficient...

the KMX for instance,

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/b...e-Reviews/Kawasaki/Kawasaki-KMX125-1986-2002/

comes in at 55mpg, with a top speed of 71 mph.

How are people calculating their mpg?

I did mine:

367km = 228 miles (using 1mile - 1.609km)
Fuel was measured in Litres on refill = 20.7
1 gallon = 4.54609 litres, therefore 20.7 litres = 4.55 Gallons
228 miles on 4.55 gallons = 50.xx mpg.

You sure your mpg is calculated correctly? Is mine?
I'm using a UK gallon, not US - the US gallon is 5.69 litres, which should make the number even lower.

Associate
OP
I'm sceptical that there are so many efficient bikes out there. My understanding was always that 2 stroke engines were not as efficient as 4 stroke engines. The only thing I can think of is it's my slightly larger-than-it-should-be-be frame.

I know I'm a fat blighter (17.5 stone) but are people on here THAT much lighter than me, and does it make THAT much difference?

Associate
OP
it might make some difference,also you dont know how that bike compares to jap bikes in fuel/engine efficiency

also nailing the throttle everywhere and hard braking/acceleration add to things

indeed. I'd really interested to find out what other 125 owners MEASURE their efficiency to be...

New thread time?

Associate
OP
My YZF-R125 gives between 80-100MPG depending on how and where I'm riding it.

Really? How do you know this? There's no gauge to show mpg.....

Surely 300km for £11 works out at about 100mpg?

I worked it out using:

Fuel was measured in Litres on refill = 20.7
1 gallon = 4.54609 litres, therefore 20.7 litres = 4.55 Gallons
228 miles on 4.55 gallons = 50.xx mpg.

How do you get to 100mpg?

Associate
OP
The same way you always work out mpg: brim the tank, reset the trip meter, ride until nearly empty and then brim it again. Take note of fuel used and trip meter and perform simple arithmetic.

That is blatantly wrong! Most 1litre sports bikes don't have tanks that big, let along a small 125cc commuter. The Sym website suggest you have either a 13 or 14.5 Litre tank, depending on which bit of text you read - I'd be inclined to believe 13L as that's the same as a YBR125.

That said, 20.7/1.40 = 14.7 Litres which is somewhat more realistic. Is it possible you confused the price display with the litres one on the pump?

20.7 litres at £15.11 gives 73p/liter. Either you hit 85mph and jumped back to the late 90's or you made a mistake :p

mystery solved. Numpty at the healm.

I've checked the petrol receipt - I used 11.04litres of fuel not 20 odd.

I made a mistake when reconciling my spreadsheet - instead of dividing the amount by the price per litre, I'd multiplied. Doh!

This gives a revised calculation of:

Fuel was measured in Litres on refill = 11.04
1 gallon = 4.54609 litres, therefore 11.04 litres = 2.43 Gallons
228 miles on 2.43 gallons = 93.95 mpg.

.... and I'm DELIGHTED with that!

Thanks everyone for steering me back on the straight and narrow. Apologies to anyone I doubted...

Back
Top Bottom