Synergy?

kao

kao

Associate
has anyone tried out Synergy?

At the moment i have dual displays on my PC, but i don't like running the 7950GX2 in Dual Display mode, i was thinking of just setting up one of my (slightly) redundant PCs on the secondary monitor and just using Synergy so i could stick to using the same mouse and keyboard acting as if it was dual display.

All i need to do is sort out a quieter CPU fan for the PC i was thinking of using, as even without any case fans, it sounds like a damn 747 taking off :p

Soldato
I tried it out using a Windows XP and a linux box. The install was smooth (albeit a tiny bit complicated if you're not "down with the lingo") and it worked an absolute treat. It was rather surreal watching the cursor cross between two different monitors and operating systems.

I had a few teething problems during bootup on the second system, so I kept a keyboard and mouse connected and stashed away under the desk and everything worked fine. A good, free alternative to a KVM switch :)

kao

kao

Associate
OP
sounds good, i'll be doing it with two XP systems, though once i get my linux box working i'll probably hook it up to my secondary monitor aswell (dual input) so i'll probably set up synergy on that one aswell and see how it handles 3 systems on two monitors :p

Associate
been using this for ages - and it's pretty much the greatest application of all time! if not a little quirky.

my main setup is dual-display desktop running vista with dual-display laptop to the right.

it's not 100% vista friendly at the moment, as it doesn't seem to like to work from boot so i have to enable it each time. but i used to have my server to the left as well - and if you install it as a service it works even on the login screen. but instead of ctrl-alt-del you press ctrl-alt-pause.

also, you can set up a hot-key so that the mouse/keyboard stay on the screen (i.e. become "trapped" on the pc that it's not even plugged into... so you can play games on secondary systems! it's pretty cool!

anyways, in conclusion...

SYNERGY ROCKS!!!

edit: i should note that you will find yoruself being much more careful with where the cursor is... over four screens i'm always losing the darn thing.

kao

kao

Associate
OP
yeah, scroll lock does that doesn't it (locks it onto current system). Guess i'll get this set up tomorrow then, heard nothing but positives about it =)

Associate
I've got synergy 1.3.1 running between my XP box and a 64 bit Gentoo install. There are few minor issues with it, such as replacing the '@' with an omega symbol; otherwise it works a treat.

Associate
QuantumXP said:
I've got synergy 1.3.1 running between my XP box and a 64 bit Gentoo install. There are few minor issues with it, such as replacing the '@' with an omega symbol; otherwise it works a treat.

am sure that's because the omega symbol is "way cooler"... although also "way less useful".

so kinda like gentoo :D

(which i love btw, but couldn't help myself)

Associate
pinkegobox said:
am sure that's because the omega symbol is "way cooler"... although also "way less useful".

so kinda like gentoo :D

(which i love btw, but couldn't help myself)

Omega is a very useful symbol that should be on a keyboard. Having to import symbol each time I needed it in an electronics thesis was a bit of a pain.

Soldato
Saw this being advertised on Linus Tech Tips, anyone still use it?

What's the verdict?

I'm thinking about getting it for my Macbook and my desktop Win PC

Commissario
I used to use it between two Windows systems and it worked flawlessly. No idea what it's like with a Mac though but if it's as good as the other versions, it'll be lovely and smashing.

Back
Top Bottom