SYSFAN 1 - Is it safe?

Associate
Hello, I have purchased two 120mm case fans without really thinking if they will actually work -_-

My motherboard is a http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P21--FX-.html and i currently have one 'SYS FAN 1' header on the mb free.

My question is, can i use the TX3 Fan Power Splitter Cable i've also ordered to plug both fans into, then plug the splitter into the 'sysfan 1' header or would it cause problems? The fans seem to be rated at 0.08a each which would equate to 0.16a? Though im not really sure of the max amp the sys fan 1 can handle :S

Any help would be appreciated as i dont want to have ended up wasting my money haha

Last edited:
Soldato
You're breaking forum rules by naming and linking to OcUK's competitors.

The power consumption on those fans shouldn't cause any issues. The splitter cable is odd, it isn't usual to have both tacho leads connecting back to the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Oh wow sorry! i did not realise. I'll remove the links to the products.

Could i ask why you think it's odd? I'm completely new to replacing fans so im just worried i'll plug both fans into this cable leading to the sysfan 1 and end up frying the header :/

Soldato
Splitter cables of that type usually only have the tacho lead connected for one of the fans. If multiple fans are sending tacho signals to the same header what is the motherboard supposed to make of it? It won't break anything, but I wouldn't necessarily believe any fan speed information you see.

Two of those fans onto a single header will be almost certainly be fine. If you're concerned buy a Molex to three pin adapter and connect them directly to the power supply.

Associate
OP
ah i see your point now.

Well, do you think it would be possible to cut the yellow wire on one on the leads? That way only one of the fans will be sending a signal like normal

Top Bottom