• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Associate
Hey,

Just got my new BFG 7950GT 512MB PCI-E gfx card today and I am having problems running "some" games. Some of these games are dumping out with this BSOD... http://img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00032mf5.jpg. I believe this is a driver error. The string error code is explained here at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793232.aspx and because the exception code parameter is 0xc0000005 this means that it is some sort of buffer overrun exception explained here: http://blogs.msdn.com/calvin_hsia/archive/2004/06/30/170344.aspx.

DXDiag
- DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.
- Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

Games I have that work and are COMPLETELY stable and fast:
- Half-Life 2 (Default settings).
- World of Warcraft (Default settings).
- All DirectDraw games (i.e. Console emulators).
- All OpenGL games (i.e. Unreal Tournament '99, Half-Life, etc.).

Games I have that dump this BSOD:
- Warcraft 3 (lol ?!).
- Unreal Tournament 2004 X64 Version (D3D9 mode).

Things to note:
- The error codes and addresses reported are not random numbers and always refer to the same address.
- System is 100% stable (not 99.999999%, 100%!).
- Tried official 93.31 and beta 93.81 forceware to no avail.
- Used driver cleaner to remove ATI junk.
- I cannot be bothered to reinstall Windows X64.

Spec:
- Shuttle SN25PV2
-- 350W PSU (UNDERRATED. ~29A ON 12V!)
-- AMD X2 4600+
-- 2048MB OCZ DDR400
-- NForce4 Ultra controller
--- SATA2 NCQ Hard Drive
---- Windows XP X64 Edition (Legal)
--- SATA DVDRW

ALL STOCK SPEEDS NO O/C WHATSOEVER

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
do you have nTune installed? if so uninstall it... I would get this error within a few minutes of starting any source based game and some others after installing nTune - good thing it was the only thing that had changed on my system or I'd have had no idea what was causing it...

if that fails then its likely the machine is overclocked too far or an item of hardware is damaged.

I wouldn't discount it being the machine running out of juice either - 29A on a 12v rail is 349watts - even assuming it could really do that (22-24 max is more likely) it would unbalance the rest of the system, althought a decent 350 should be upto the job.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey. I have resolved the problem. Thanks for the reply.

- I went into safe mode.
- Uninstalled display driver.
- Uninstalled processor driver.
- Run driver cleaner for all ATI components and NVidia.
- Rebooted in safe mode.
- Reinstalled updated AMD64 CPU driver.
- Reinstalled Latest official display driver.
- Rebooted in normal mode.
- Tried my games and it worked.

Cya!

Back
Top Bottom