• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

T-Rad2 installation Guide and Initial Thoughts

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
here is load temps for 1 hour

load.jpg

Soldato
Nice one rjkoneill! Great write up :)
Awesome looking cooler and great results too!

*ponders running a 4850 passively*
________
Cl72

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
hey rjkoneill what's your impression of the sound of this beast with the 2 sharkoons on then?
cant hear it at all
silent even with the sharkoons on full belt

Nice one rjkoneill! Great write up :)
Awesome looking cooler and great results too!

cheers - its a bit bulky but im happy with it

*ponders running a 4850 passively*

cool - i dont think it can run passivley
a review site i liked to earlier ran it passivley on a low end card and it overheated - lots
but the two sharkoons are whisper quiet anyway

10c lower at full load compared to idle with stock! Very impressive.

Really want something like this for the GTX 280!

i know - it will surprise me if they dont bring out a compatible version with nvidias next gen of cards - im guessing they will be a similar board layout to the current GTX 2** models.

Soldato
cool - i dont think it can run passivley
a review site i liked to earlier ran it passivley on a low end card and it overheated - lots
but the two sharkoons are whisper quiet anyway

Hehe, I dont think those fans would fit in my ickle Shuttle SG33G5M :D but the T-Rad would jusssst about fit.
Oh yeah, over 100C on a 9600 :eek: Time to check some fan dimensions ;)

Is it much heavier than the stock GTX blower?

Always good to see loads of nice pics btw (although my wallet would disagree :p)

i know - it will surprise me if they dont bring out a compatible version with nvidias next gen of cards - im guessing they will be a similar board layout to the current GTX 2** models.

That certainly would be nice but I wouldn't expect anything for this generation 260/280s due to the imminent 55mn die shrink?
________
Iolite portable vaporizer

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting review rjkoneill :)

I'm curious to know if this cooler is single slot? if running without any fans? From looking at your pictures the T-Rad2 does seem quite slim?

Soldato
Ive been looking around for some of these slim 15mm ( or less ) wide fans and i believe that zalman do an 80mm one and scythe do a 100mm one , but cant find any that make a 92mm sized low profile one.

The scythe one here ( http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/035/sy1012sl12_detail.html ) is actually 100mm in size but has 92mm Mounting holes. It is however only 122mm thick!!

The pre cut holes on the cooler however look very close together so i doubt you can fit two of these without modding :(

You would probably need low profile fans to run a sli setup if your slots are close together, as they are on some boards.

I suppose you could rig up some kind of mounting for 2 of the bigger or smaller sized fans, but i dont have my T-Rad yet so i cant comment.

Edit: Looking at the OP's photos i think the slim scythe fans i mentioned above could be made to fit if you dont mind voiding your warranty :p

If you fit a slim fan on the pre made mounting holes above the GPU then drill one pair of holes in the brackets just to the side and mount your other fan using bolts through your newly drilled holes. If you use good tight bolts you should only need to use 2 to solidly mount the fan. Using some silicon on the far end of the fan to stop vibration i think this would work pretty well for an sli setup!

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Is it much heavier than the stock GTX blower?

Always good to see loads of nice pics btw (although my wallet would disagree :p)

That certainly would be nice but I wouldn't expect anything for this generation 260/280s due to the imminent 55mn die shrink?

its quite light but then you mount the fans and the card does weigh a lot
couldnt see it flexing when installed though so it should be ok

i think TR have taken long enough to get this out - so a GTX 2** series version looks unlikley - they are making the HR03 for the gtx now though

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Interesting review rjkoneill :)

I'm curious to know if this cooler is single slot? if running without any fans? From looking at your pictures the T-Rad2 does seem quite slim?

its kind of 1 and a third of a slot

you cant run it fanless though
check out the review i linked to earlier in the thread - it used a low end card and hit 100'C!

not ideal

i tried it as a few people have posted up that question [unplugged the fans for a bit, ran crysis benchmark in windowed mode] it was similar to stock cooling at idle but shot straight up to 90'C after 3 minutes - so the fans when back on!

unless you can find some very slim fans or have a huge amount of air blowing on it from a case fan - then i wouldnt reccommend it

Soldato
its kind of 1 and a third of a slot
Thanks for that!

have a huge amount of air blowing on it from a case fan
I'm looking at a cooler running GPU in a set-up with a 120mm fan blowing straight down onto the GPU, not sure how well the T-Rad2 will cool with from above cooling?

There are very few decent single slot cooling solutions these days!

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
my honest opinion is that it would struggle dude
turning the fans off on mine proved that the only way to achieve temps like i have got is to have direct airflow

im sure with more powerful fans the results would be better - but i personally wanted silence and overclocking potential - which is what i have - so im glad to be an early adopter :)

i have plenty of fans so if you want me to try a certain config to give you an idea then i dont mind - would be interesting
got to take my mobo out to put in the thermalright bolt thru kit [that your pesky thread MADE me buy ;)] so whilst the case is apart i may as well give a few setups a bash to see what works best

Associate
Fingers crossed will be getting mine today :) So will get to try it out on a 4870, will let you know how I get on....anythings got to be better than current operating temps and noise

Quick question, rjkoneill, I know you used it on a differernt card, but is it easy enough to get the stock cooler from the board, only asking as I dont have any of the TIM removal stuff.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
yeah - well the stock cooler on any card is held on with screws = just take your time and remove the screws form the back of the card - the stock cooler should just come loose in your hand.
if you are doing it on a 4870 i would imagine it would be only the screws on the back you would need to undo

once it comes apart you NEED to clean the memory modules or the heatsinks wont stick

one of mine fell off last night when i put it in the case and i had to take the cooler apart again

if you dont have tim remover and surface purifier - i think you can use alcohol from the chemist - but as long as there are no traces of the old thermal pads on the memory

also - quick tip - make sure you look at the contact areas of the stock cooler so you know where to arrange the standard cooling - and use the slim heatsinks on the memory modules under the heatpipes

- willbo - post some pics up here when you get yours sorted as it would be interesting to see it installed on an ATI example.

also post up before and after temps if you can - i would love to see if its more efficiant with more powerful fans and the temp difference for the 4870 over stock

Soldato
Great review, hopefully will receive mine shortly. Will get some pics up.

Quick question though, I thought it would be best to put the 'pipes' to the rear of the card? Can it be mounted both ways?

Quick question, rjkoneill, I know you used it on a differernt card, but is it easy enough to get the stock cooler from the board, only asking as I dont have any of the TIM removal stuff.

Stock cooler is very easy to remove on the 4870, quite a few screws but that's about it (including 4 'core' screws). I would recommend getting some thermal remover though, you should always apply a fresh coat whenever you remove your cooler and the old paste needs to be removed. (i find Artic Silver 5 best).

Edit: ahh I see you were talking about the memory, i would imagine they would need to be cleaned well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom