Tackling these unwanted plants

Associate
Got a block-paved area that has gone wild with weeds over the past couple of months.
Area is around 35sqm and the tallest plants around 3ft high.

d7cMkst.jpg

It's a PITA to pull them as they are in quite strong in places and there are hundreds of them.
Would a standard electric strimmer cut this weed or a thicker cable / petrol strimmer needed?
Have got weed killer but am thinking the plants might be a little too big to spray.
What's the best way to tackle it?

Not an option to burn it with fire or nuke from orbit "to be sure!"
Ta

Soldato
Rosate 36 plus a sprayer. They will take about 2 weeks to die but it is well worth the wait. Don't get it on anything you want keep, it will die. It's really strong stuff but neutralises itself with contact on with the ground. Buy it on Amazon. Google it and do some research before using it.

Weed killer works best when spraying leafy plants that are growing, don't cut them down first.

Associate
Rosate 36 plus a sprayer. They will take about 2 weeks to die but it is well worth the wait. Don't get it on anything you want keep, it will die. It's really strong stuff but neutralises itself with contact on with the ground. Buy it on Amazon. Google it and do some research before using it.

Weed killer works best when spraying leafy plants that are growing, don't cut them down first.

Good advice, but i'd to it that you should apply the herbicide before the weeds flower and then set seed...or you'll end up with lots of seeds in the paving joints and you'll be back to squre one in no time.

Soldato
I tried Rosate 36 when it was overcast and quite cool, didn't seem to do anything. That was using 30ml/litre too. I then tried a few weeks later with around 50ml/litre when it was sunny and warm for a few days and it's turned all the weeds brown so looks like it's worked!

Spray them then strim them

That block paving is knackered though so your going to either need to do some work on it or accept this is going to happen over and over

They will die back naturally in the winter by the way, but like with the weed killer you will need to strim back the dead weeds considering how big they are

Edit, to clarify I mean ideally spray them, then once dead approx 10 days later strim them back

Soldato
It's fine, the weedkiller works by being absorbed by the leaves/stems once it comes into contact with the soil it is neutralised.

Not true it takes a month or longer for glyphosate to fully break down. However its usually safe to plant a few days later as glyphosate bonds with soil and so doesn't enter the plant very easily.

Man of Honour
Not true it takes a month or longer for glyphosate to fully break down. However its usually safe to plant a few days later as glyphosate bonds with soil and so doesn't enter the plant very easily.
Bonds with the soil and therefore is effectively neutralised?

Soldato
Bonds with the soil and therefore is effectively neutralised?

No, not fully, lots of studies have found trace amounts of glyphosate within the plants. Which is why in commercial environments they wait upto 6 months before planting for edible crops.

Soldato
Is it possible to do this with unwanted plants also and still not damage the soil. In some cases it would make redoing a garden a whole lot easier.

Soldato
Best way for selective killing of plants is to put some neat into a paper towel or such and rub it in the leaves. Doesn't effect anything else then. I've done it a few times to get rid of some brambles.

Associate
Could use tryclopyr, not as potent as glyphosate but will kill the weeds. Ideal for lawns as it doesn't kill grass (obviously not an issue in your case though).

Associate
OP
Talk about letting a problem escalate... I don't the use of chemicals, but in this case I think you might have to. Next time, don't be lazy!

A rented property where I'd not been round to for a while. Wasn't told by the tenant.
If that was my front or back garden it would not look like that I can assure you!

I don't particularly like to use chemicals but will do on this occasion to get it done in the time that I have free at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom