tado heating system

Soldato
I'm looking at this system too. With spring round the corner I'm waiting until next winter. But if buying today tado is my only contender.

Nest and hive just don't offer the trvs.
I certainly don't need a system that learns. I do need independent room control. Some rooms are cold and others baking at present due to house shape, external windows etc.

Particularly working at home. I go in different rooms at different times.

The living room does not need to be heated in the morning for example
Hive have TRVs, they are great.

Associate
Ordered the V3 system for new boiler next week. Will get some TRVs at a later date. All just in time for warmer weather where we don't need the heating on so much :)

Soldato
Ordered the V3 system for new boiler next week. Will get some TRVs at a later date. All just in time for warmer weather where we don't need the heating on so much :)
I'm taking advantage of the warmer weather this year to take all the rads off, swap out the bad ones, flush the system and replace the TRVs that the smart one screw into. Or at least that's the plan! :o

Associate
I'm taking advantage of the warmer weather this year to take all the rads off, swap out the bad ones, flush the system and replace the TRVs that the smart one screw into. Or at least that's the plan! :o
Good luck, similar plans here! But also windows, front door, all sorts

Caporegime
Been looking at this more. I don't want to subscribe to tado. Is this enough to not get it? Do you lose too much that it's better to look elsewhere? Ie.. Hive

Soldato
Been looking at this more. I don't want to subscribe to tado. Is this enough to not get it? Do you lose too much that it's better to look elsewhere? Ie.. Hive
Nah no need to sub. My place is small so the open window detection for instance is pointless and none of the sub features are useful for me really. The system since I installed it has been absolutely flawless. We've got two TRV's installed, one in the bedroom and one for the living room and it all works very well. The app itself is clean and easy to use though setting on/off schedules for each room could do with some QoL features like copy & pasting.

Caporegime
Nah no need to sub. My place is small so the open window detection for instance is pointless and none of the sub features are useful for me really. The system since I installed it has been absolutely flawless. We've got two TRV's installed, one in the bedroom and one for the living room and it all works very well. The app itself is clean and easy to use though setting on/off schedules for each room could do with some QoL features like copy & pasting.

The only real feature that would be nice is the geo stuff. But really. There's only two of us. It's the trv thing that really stands out.

We are in rooms quite consistently throughout the day.

Question.
Can trvs work on timers too?

Soldato
The only real feature that would be nice is the geo stuff. But really. There's only two of us. It's the trv thing that really stands out.

We are in rooms quite consistently throughout the day.

Question.
Can trvs work on timers too?
Yeah, each TRV has it's own schedule. The latest update to the app has added an 'all off' button and a 'boost' button, the latter of which sets heating to max for I believe 30mins. Both additions I've been after for a while.

Caporegime
Yeah, each TRV has it's own schedule. The latest update to the app has added an 'all off' button and a 'boost' button, the latter of which sets heating to max for I believe 30mins. Both additions I've been after for a while.

That is good.
I pretty much spend 8 hours in my office, then a couple in living room/kitchen and sleep in bedroom during the week. No need for living down stairs to be on at same time as up!

Associate
Had Tado for about 18 months. Got two thermostats and nine rad thermostats.

It’s pretty much set and forget, put it all together, asked them to make a zoning change to accommodate a thermostat and rad thermostat being in the same room.

Only issue I’ve had is about three times over winter, I’d wake up to a cold house. Apparently the internet bridge had lost connectivity to the Tado cloud, not the internet... my assumption is that there’s a daemon in the bridge that is crashing and it eventually restarts but it can take hours/days. When the cloud connectivity goes, you’re on manual. If I reset the bridge manually it comes straight back up.

Think you can work around this with home assistant and HomeKit but don’t have patience.

Caporegime
Had Tado for about 18 months. Got two thermostats and nine rad thermostats.

It’s pretty much set and forget, put it all together, asked them to make a zoning change to accommodate a thermostat and rad thermostat being in the same room.

Only issue I’ve had is about three times over winter, I’d wake up to a cold house. Apparently the internet bridge had lost connectivity to the Tado cloud, not the internet... my assumption is that there’s a daemon in the bridge that is crashing and it eventually restarts but it can take hours/days. When the cloud connectivity goes, you’re on manual. If I reset the bridge manually it comes straight back up.

Think you can work around this with home assistant and HomeKit but don’t have patience.

Interesting, my understanding is that any schedules you set up are stored locally, so if you lost connection to the cloud, they would still run as per their last 'quicksave', you just can't make adjustments on the fly. Though you can still manually turn the TRVs if needed.

Associate
Interesting, my understanding is that any schedules you set up are stored locally, so if you lost connection to the cloud, they would still run as per their last 'quicksave', you just can't make adjustments on the fly. Though you can still manually turn the TRVs if needed.

Hmmm, definitely hasn’t worked like that for me!

When down, I go in to app and all devices show as disconnected, they retain same setting regardless of schedule. You can manually adjust at the device though.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Just started getting tado.
Was hoping to. Wait until winter but the old thermostat is absolutely garbage.
Got.1 trv and thermostat. Setting up at weekend!

Nest has no trvs so that was a no go.

Hive. Was a contender but decided tado as got most reccomendations

Back
Top Bottom