Take Me Out... Blind Date on steroids, and one of the best cheesy shows on TV at the moment.

Caporegime
OP
Old thread I know but didn't want to make a new one. I still absolutely love this show and find it absolutely hilarious. The concept is still solid, Paddy is still a legend, and its obvious that him and the girls have great chemistry. All of the girls on there seem like they are a good laugh and nice people, and barring one or two that are obviously on there for comedy relief and will never get dates, there are some real British roses on there.

Cheeky, but never vulgar, and just provides good solid entertainment. Still one of my favourite trashy entertainment programs on TV! :)

Soldato
Old thread I know but didn't want to make a new one. I still absolutely love this show and find it absolutely hilarious. The concept is still solid, Paddy is still a legend, and its obvious that him and the girls have great chemistry. All of the girls on there seem like they are a good laugh and nice people, and barring one or two that are obviously on there for comedy relief and will never get dates, there are some real British roses on there.

Cheeky, but never vulgar, and just provides good solid entertainment. Still one of my favourite trashy entertainment programs on TV! :)

Sorry I can't stand Paddy, he has the amateur "holiday camp" feel to his style that doesn't belong on national television.

Caporegime
OP
Sorry I can't stand Paddy, he has the amateur "holiday camp" feel to his style that doesn't belong on national television.

No worries, each to their own! I think he really has a warm and personable style to his gags, he makes fun of the girls and the guys but it never feels like it's at their expense. I think he's very funny, albeit obviously there is little intelligence in the gags. More observational quips.

Soldato
I have only ever caught a few episodes here and there when the missus has it on. Is it my imagination or is there a "plant" in the girls who never gets picked but is primed with witty comments?

Soldato
I watch it every now and then but has not got a patch on blind date from the 80's-90's.

Its just the format of the show that you can see what you could be going out with, gets a bit boring as some of them cows on there are so false.

Blind date on the other hand had plenty of good stitch ups and mix matches which made it far more funny. Plus Cilla is a much better host.

Caporegime
OP
I have only ever caught a few episodes here and there when the missus has it on. Is it my imagination or is there a "plant" in the girls who never gets picked but is primed with witty comments?

Two plants... the tall black girl with the killer body who is thick as mince, and the short fat girl with the irritating voice who will never be picked unless she is the last girl with her light on .

I watch it every now and then but has not got a patch on blind date from the 80's-90's.

Its just the format of the show that you can see what you could be going out with, gets a bit boring as some of them cows on there are so false.

Blind date on the other hand had plenty of good stitch ups and mix matches which made it far more funny. Plus Cilla is a much better host.

Got to disagree, I found blind date pretty boring in comparison.

Soldato
Got to disagree, I found blind date pretty boring in comparison.

Well I think your in the minority there.

At the height of its popularity Blind Date in the 1980s, 18.2 million tuned in on a Saturday night.

Take Me Out is approx 3.5 million now, the highest it's ever managed is 6.82 and that's one off.

The figures speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Soldato
The gf has been getting me to watch this a bit, its pretty funny, though I am a little outraged at some of the decent women going home with utter madmen. Been setting my sights too low... (or some are properly desperate).

The gf is not appreciating rating the women on the show or the obsession over Louis who plays the theremin! :D

Pro tip, don't watch "the gossip" bit later on, pretty infuriating watching grown adults going did you kiss?? AWWWWWWW, like teenagers.

Caporegime
OP

At the height of its popularity Blind Date in the 1980s, 18.2 million tuned in on a Saturday night.

Take Me Out is approx 3.5 million now, the highest it's ever managed is 6.82 and that's one off.

The face and landscape of TV has changed radically since the 1980's, the figures aren't even comparable for a ton of very good (and very logical, if you sit and engage your grey matter) reasons.

Soldato
The face and landscape of TV has changed radically since the 1980's, the figures aren't even comparable for a ton of very good (and very logical, if you sit and engage your grey matter) reasons.

Well before it was pulled (in 2003) it still had a average viewing figures of 9.6 million and that was enough to axe it as they thought that was too low.

Them axed figures are well over double what Take me out is. Does not say much for the show really as I can see it being pulled in the not so distant future as it's ratings are on the decline it seems from previous seasons.

Caporegime

I wasn't in the country in the 80s, but wasn't there only 4 or 5 channels? Compared to the 50ish you get on just Freeview? And then factoring in ITVPlayer viewings?

Caporegime
OP
Well before it was pulled (in 2003) it still had a average viewing figures of 9.6 million and that was enough to axe it as they thought that was too low.

Them axed figures are well over double what Take me out is. Does not say much for the show really as I can see it being pulled in the not so distant future as it's ratings are on the decline it seems from previous seasons.

In 2003 Saturday night viewing was still much more limited than now, and Blind Date was the only show of it's kind that enjoyed a prime-time slot unlike Take Me Out which is on later at 10pm. Nowadays there are lots of dating-style shows, and Blind Date was more of a "classic" format geared to all age ranges (I remember the episodes when there were pensioner son it), rather than aimed specifically at the younger crowd like Take Me Out is. Really, the viewing figure differences are easily explainable. Anyway, in 2003 when it finished it was actually down to between 4 and 5m viewers.

I'm not saying take me Out is classier (it's blatantly not, and there have been scandals around it), but I personally certainly find it more entertaining than I did watching Blind Date 8which I watched for around 10 years).

Soldato
Haha, I am sad to admit I do enjoy this show, mostly to see some nice totty.
Today's episode has been pretty funny! It would seem if you want to attract women, you need to look like a huge rugby player. 30 women lights still on. Impressive
(I thought the chick he chose was not the right one of the two)
I thought that fat guy was pretty brave to go on there, not in a judgemental sense but let be honest women are much much more judgemental about looks than they like to admit.

Caporegime
OP
Haha, I am sad to admit I do enjoy this show, mostly to see some nice totty.
Today's episode has been pretty funny! It would seem if you want to attract women, you need to look like a huge rugby player. 30 women lights still on. Impressive
(I thought the chick he chose was not the right one of the two)

Yeah the other girl that he didn't choose was a complete stunner, and when she opened her mouth it sounded intelligent too. I think he chose the other girl because she looked tattooed and bit of a naughty rock chick... but I know which one i'd rather wake up to every morning!

I thought that fat guy was pretty brave to go on there, not in a judgemental sense but let be honest women are much much more judgemental about looks than they like to admit.
It was pointless to put the really fat guy on the show. If they did their best to make him look cool then fair enough, but making him sing "the wheels on the bus go round and round"? Epic fail.

Soldato
Yeh I did think it was either he had nothing going for him that they couldn't think of anything to do. If they did that on purpose then that's very low. They probably did as you could have found something better for him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom