Talk to me about Aspartame and Talcum Powder

Caporegime
So, when I was a kid my dad covered me in Imperial Leather talc after every bath. Doesn’t seem to have done me any harm. He still uses it to this day. Stud.

I love cherry Pepsi. It’s got Aspartame in it. My mother in law literally looses control of her bowels when she sees me drinking it by virtue of the fact that the Aspartame will give me cancer apparently.

Can someone please tell me if either of the above will indeed cause my head to explode?
Sounds like someone is smelling SAF and is sticking it to the Coca Cola Man :cool:

Soldato
Its a very deep rabbit hole on the question you asking.

Talc can be contaminated with asbestos fibers, posing risks for respiratory toxicity and cancer. Studies by the National Toxicology Panel demonstrated that cosmetic-grade talc free of asbestos is a form of magnesium silicate that also can be toxic and carcinogenic.

When digested, aspartame breaks down into three components: aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol (wood alcohol). People with the rare genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) should avoid aspartame because their bodies are deficient in the enzyme that breaks down phenylalanine.

Formaldehyde is a colorless, strong-smelling gas used in making building materials and many household products. It is used in pressed-wood products, such as particleboard, plywood, and fiberboard; glues and adhesives; permanent-press fabrics; paper product coatings; and certain insulation materials.

Phenylalanine isn't a health concern for most people. However, for people who have the genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) or certain other health conditions, phenylalanine can be a serious health concern. Phenylalanine can cause mental retardation, brain damage, seizures and other problems in people with PKU.

Basically stay away. ;)

Water, booze and a banana.:D

Soldato
Radon Gas.

Naturally occuring radioactive gas that comes out of the ground and (depending on where you live) can account for nearly 50% of your lifetime radiation exposure from all sources, and is beyond all doubt a significant contributor to lung cancer.

It is estimated to cause around 3 times the amount of premature deaths per year over drink driving.

They don't put that in the news though.

99% of everything you read in the news/papers is absolute ********.

Caporegime
Johnson & Johnson had to pay out millions in a lawsuit because a woman in the states got ovarian cancer using talc.

well, because she claimed it was due to talc and a jury agreed

it isn't really conclusive as far as I'm aware, at least as far as modern talc is concerned. Though back in the day asbestos has been used in talcs and that is a bit different!

Caporegime
Radon Gas.

Naturally occuring radioactive gas that comes out of the ground and (depending on where you live) can account for nearly 50% of your lifetime radiation exposure from all sources, and is beyond all doubt a significant contributor to lung cancer.

It is estimated to cause around 3 times the amount of premature deaths per year over drink driving.

Yeah it is a risk and does seem to be something people aren't aware of, it is why people need to be careful with regards to lower ground floor living accommodation - proper ventilation in cellars/basements etc...

I slap talc on my undercarriage after every bath/shower. I don't have cancer.

smaller surface area = lower risk :D

Soldato
I slap talc on my undercarriage after every bath/shower. I don't have cancer.

I never use it I just go full on towel abuse, never had a problem to this day.

I do feel sorry for my towel, might start a charity called towel line. You been rubbed up the wrong way then call towel line. :D

Soldato
I see, well if it helps then that's fair enough.

I can sense the offence 'massive porkers' around the world are taking at this moment :D

Man of Honour
So, when I was a kid my dad covered me in Imperial Leather talc after every bath. Doesn’t seem to have done me any harm. He still uses it to this day. Stud.

I love cherry Pepsi. It’s got Aspartame in it. My mother in law literally looses control of her bowels when she sees me drinking it by virtue of the fact that the Aspartame will give me cancer apparently.

Can someone please tell me if either of the above will indeed cause my head to explode?

No, they won't. But your mother in law might get dehydrated if she's pooping so much so often.

Soldato
Its a very deep rabbit hole on the question you asking.

Talc can be contaminated with asbestos fibers, posing risks for respiratory toxicity and cancer. Studies by the National Toxicology Panel demonstrated that cosmetic-grade talc free of asbestos is a form of magnesium silicate that also can be toxic and carcinogenic.

When digested, aspartame breaks down into three components: aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol (wood alcohol). People with the rare genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) should avoid aspartame because their bodies are deficient in the enzyme that breaks down phenylalanine.

Formaldehyde is a colorless, strong-smelling gas used in making building materials and many household products. It is used in pressed-wood products, such as particleboard, plywood, and fiberboard; glues and adhesives; permanent-press fabrics; paper product coatings; and certain insulation materials.

Phenylalanine isn't a health concern for most people. However, for people who have the genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) or certain other health conditions, phenylalanine can be a serious health concern. Phenylalanine can cause mental retardation, brain damage, seizures and other problems in people with PKU.

Basically stay away. ;)

Water, booze and a banana.:D

It says aspartame is of concern if you have the rare genetic disorder phenylketonuria...

Casual paragraph on Formaldehyde pasted in as a bonus. Which incidentally is produced by your body so good luck hiding from that chemical.

Talc is casually smeared with a maybe. Very good.

Can't help feeling that site exists to encourage a sense of paranoia. Not a helpful kind either.

Soldato
It says aspartame is of concern if you have the rare genetic disorder phenylketonuria...

Casual paragraph on Formaldehyde pasted in as a bonus. Which incidentally is produced by your body so good luck hiding from that chemical.

Talc is casually smeared with a maybe. Very good.

Can't help feeling that site exists to encourage a sense of paranoia. Not a helpful kind either.

If you can call Google a site then I don't know what.

Aspartame has known to be dodgy for years, talc is a recent thing.

Google
Donald Rumsfeld aspartame approval from Searle.

It goes much deeper but you will get the picture in the end. ;)

Soldato
If you can call Google a site then I don't know what.

Aspartame has known to be dodgy for years, talc is a recent thing.

Google
Donald Rumsfeld aspartame approval from Searle.

It goes much deeper but you will get the picture in the end. ;)

So.. you literally googled a few words and copy pasted the brief it pulls from the top sorted site... ?

Google isn't a source.

Because the random formaldehyde paragraph you put in there was from here: https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/formaldehyde.html

Undermines what you're saying if all you're doing is pasting chunks you didn't read.

Soldato
As someone posted earlier, aspartame (and other artificial sweeteners) are among the most tested compounds ever and there is no real evidence to show they do any harm whatsoever. I put aspartame worriers up there with anti-vaxxers. TBH, you're doing far more damage to your body (i.e. teeth) by drinking such an acidic drink that any risk from the other ingredients in negligible.

Oh and the whole Google/Rumsfeld thing, I could probably find a website that claims any powerful public figure is in league with the forces of corporate darkness if I looked. I'd probably start at a website saying talc/aspartame cause cancer and vaccines cause autism. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Not aware that in food level dosage Aspartame has any meaningful carcinogenic properties - very very very high doses might but you'd have some quite significant other problems first.

Some people (properly not surprising) appear to have lower tolerance/higher sensitivity to Aspartame which can cause some minor issues* like more frequent migraines, etc. some flat out deny it but personally I think it is quite likely that some have poor tolerance to it - I have quite bad sensitivity to certain E numbers that most people can consume without any noticeable problems.

Talc I have no idea.

* Relatively speaking - migraines are pretty horrible :s

no denial from me, i have to avoid aspartame completely. It's in everything these days :/

Soldato
Johnson & Johnson had to pay out millions in a lawsuit because a woman in the states got ovarian cancer using talc.

No they didn't. It's going to appeal.

There is no scientific evidence which directly links talc to the cancers that the claimant had. There is zero asbestos in talc. It is made up of very fine powder so it isn't the best idea to breath a ton of it in, but it's been in use with no asbestos for decades and there has been zero link to harmful effects.

Talc is mined, and it forms next to rocks that tend to contain asbestos. A lot of talc was contaminated with asbestos particles. It's only fairly recently that it was filtered out, or replaced with other powders like rice or corn. Even after the rules were made stricter in 1973 in the US, Johnson & Johnson were found to have asbestos contamination from their mine in Vermont.

Got a link showing J&J asbestos in talc within the past 35 years?

Back
Top Bottom