Talk to me about cloud hosting... vidahost

Associate
I'm trialling vidahost at the moment for cloud hosting - it seems good and I like their control panel (a lot neater than cpanel) also a couple of benefits sound good like no emails held or lost if the server is down for any reason as the email servers are separate ect.. however I don't know if its worth the increased cost.

Its £10 a month for the cloud service and extra £10 if i want to be a reseller (I have about 15 people who get hosting off me)

However my existing hosting is standard cpanel hosting and only costs around £50 for the year.

It seems fairly good but it does have quite a few bits of downtime in the year even tho the stats say 99% im not sure.

The current provider is Aventure Host

Opinions welcomed

Personally I would always stay with a host that offers Cpanel because it's the most used control panel. If you ever wished to move hosts with Cpanel it's easy to backup and move.

Cloud hosting is good but I normally do daily/weekly backups on my site and save them when I can onto my computer. Loss of data because of a server crash is pretty rare anyways when your with a quality host.

I totally agree with the cPanel being widely support argument - couple of points of discussion

because its so widely used is it open to attacks more?

on the vidacloud you can setup packages with say www.bob.com and then use a temporary domain such as www.bob.temp.com to preview your changes to the site - so when you are ready you can just disable the temporary address and point the name servers to the hosting account you've setup - ie no downtime.

Is £240 a year considered expensive for hosting? 25 sites, 20gb space, 200gb bandwidth

As my aventure package is similar for £40? but I'm not sure I'm the right guy to tell the true value of it!

Back
Top Bottom