Talk to me about Washer Dryers?

Soldato
Hi

We are hoping to complete on our new flat next weekend. We need to buy a bunch of white goods and my parents are going to buy us a washing machine. We have a baby due in September so we were all thinking of a washer dryer (condensor) as it's a flat so probably can't put a vent to outside world.

Anyone recommend a good one under £350?

Soldato
As with anything, you get what you pay for. We had a washer dryer at our old place that was a couple of hundred quid, think it was a hotpoint. It washed well enough, didn't dry brilliantly and was very loud! When we moved to our new place we bought a Bosch washer dryer (£750) and it's really excellent. Much quieter, actually gets things dry, and from a brand that means it should last 15-25 years rather than 3-5 for the cheaper stuff.

Soldato
OP
I totally understand that and know buy big or buy twice however all our spare cash has been taken up by paying for solicitor fees etc. We're grateful my parents are paying for a washing machine at all.

Soldato
In that case just check reviews from AOL and other vendors. Do your research and then shop around to find something that works for you. There are bargains to be had with b-stock and for old clearance models but as with anything just be wary.

Guessing you don't have space for separates?

Soldato
OP
Need to go back to measure up. Might ask to go down this week to do some measuring. It's a bit of an odd layout from previous owners and we'll no doubt in the future be making changes to the layout. There is a spare space in the opposite corner to where their current washing machine is.

Associate
Thread from last year when I asked the same. We ended up with an LG which has been great for washing and decent for the small amount of drying we've done, separates would be quicker for drying but we just purchased for occasional use.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18585843

£500 though, on AO at least.

We also considered a Samsung for a little bit more, but it wouldn't have fit due to depth. A Which? sub is a good buy for a couple of months if you've got white goods to buy. Might even get away with the free/£1 first month.

Last edited:
Associate
We have the same washer, as far as washing machines go it hasn't missed a beat. But to be fair have only had it about 6 months. If you can get seperate washer/dryer. Purely because you can't dry while you wash. Its amazing how much washing a child produces!

Soldato
OP
This is the layout of the kitchen currently. Pick up the keys tomorrow for measuring up. We still have 3 weeks left of rent in our current flat so we're moving in gradually. There is space for dryer but not sure how the plumbing/water works.

3O6bGSRh.png.jpg

Permabanned
Associate
Not that it makes a difference now, but I've got a hotpoint washer dryer and I'll swear by it. Never skipped a beat in the past two years with about 4-5 loads of washing a week. I can put it to start in the morning and I've got dry clothes by the evening.

Although, because me and my misses work full time both, we don't have time to flaff about with hanging stuff up or moving clothes around, so it works great for us.

Associate
Samsung Ecobubble or LG Direct Drive - no other competition except the very expensive Miele's.

Have bought the Samsung and extremely pleased with it.

Soldato
have had a few and never found one in that kind of price range that didn't just end up with warm, wet clothes! and only drying half a washing load at a time is a bit annoying!
We have a baby and a pulley - no need for a dryer tbh

Associate
Thanks for this thread and the info within, great timing as I'm looking for a washer dryer with around the same budget. I've been browsing the LGs and Samsungs... A bit more expensive than others, as stated, but there seems to be less of a sacrifice made on the dryer side of things with them.

Back
Top Bottom