Talktalk broadband - cable or ADSL?

Soldato
TalkTalk ripped us off even though we never signed up to them. Been with Sky for around 9 years now, never had a problem that was their fault, always been when some thief has screwed with the exchange. Their support is hit and miss but I don't often have to ring it as we have protection and get free routers whenever ours breaks.

Soldato
The router from TalkTalk is absolute pants as well. Was visiting a friend who was with TalkTalk and the wifi speed kept varying from 130mb to as low as 14mb, even though I was only a metre away from it :confused:.

Associate
TalkTalk user here.

Never had any major outages in 3 years with them and speed was as advertised, DNS can be a bit flakey but I tend to use a combination of OpenDNS/GoogleDNS anyway so that's a non issue for me.

CS is overseas based but the UK based members forums are actually pretty good if you have a more technical issue than clearing out your browser history.

Recently swapped to there Fibre Large package and get 54 down 14 up, strangely I was able to order fibre with them and have it up and running a month before BT said it was available in my area.

I get no issues with speed and a very stable connection, I have never noticed any issues with throttling or had poor ping times in games. The router supplied isnt great for options or WiFi (but neither is the SuperHub from Virgin or the Hub from BT) so I just swapped it out for the Asus N66U and everything is peachy.

Nothing wrong with my connection TT Fibre (I believe all fibre except Virgin is just resold BT products)

Last edited:
Soldato
Must admit that my experience with Talk Talk was pretty much OK. I was moved over to them from when I used Nildram and the service was pretty reliable.
In fact I only moved from them to BT because for some reason they just didn't want to talk to me about fibre.
I'd fill-in online forms and send them email and they just wouldn't respond. BT however were happy to do the whole process online and moved me over pretty painlessly.
If TT had wanted to talk fibre with me I'd probably still be with them now.

Associate
I'm with Talktalk, if I have to pick two words to describe them, it would be 'absolutely disgusting'

Constant disconnects, getting 1/10 to half of the advertised speed.

I'd switch but I'm moving soon, so few more months of this horrible pain.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Disconnects probably have nothing to do with the TT ADSL service itself unless there is an issue with the equipment in the exchange.

ADSL has always been an up to service. Post your router stats.

Associate
Hey guys, im with talktalk and find their speeds terrible (getting 1mbps right now). I talked to my dad who says that we have one month left with them.
I'm thinking of switching providers but noticed this deal they have for fibre optic

£5 Fibre Medium
Free Wireless Router worth £45
Free Connection worth £30
18 month contract

Right now i believe im paying £30 a month for their essentials package. Should i just ditch them or give fibre optic a go?

NZB

NZB

Associate
Hey guys, im with talktalk and find their speeds terrible (getting 1mbps right now). I talked to my dad who says that we have one month left with them.
I'm thinking of switching providers but noticed this deal they have for fibre optic

Right now i believe im paying £30 a month for their essentials package. Should i just ditch them or give fibre optic a go?

You'd be better off just ditching them and getting fiber from someone else like Plusnet that are reliable. Half price for 6 months @ £9.99 then £19.99 after + phone line, you just missed out on £70 cashback from signing up to them through quidco i think it's £38 now.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour

Post router stats.

Associate
The router is the standard one which comes with talktalk. However due to the positioning of where it is placed, i have it daisy chained with this one which is in my room.

edit: also after talking with CS, there is a reason for my slow speeds so they are sending an engineer down.

Back
Top Bottom