TalkTalk - finally given up with them

Caporegime
Been a TT customer (on ADSL) for years, more fool me. Currently paying £45 (I know!!) for basic ADSL.

So today I thought I'd have another stab at switching. I'd tried in 2015 (how time flies!) only for Sky to tell me TT would not allow them to take over the line, so the switch failed. I basically CBA to try again until now. Meanwhile the cost of the TT service has been increasing and increasing (it wasn't always £45!).

Today I find there are no UK- (or Ire) based customer facing staff at TT. Not one. All of their customer facing staff are now in Asia somewhere. Including retentions/cancellations. I couldn't understand anyone on the phone, and the line was awful. Seriously, there are Indian scammers with better setups than TT's call centre partners. Didn't get anywhere due to neither of us understanding the other, and gave up.

Tried the live chat. And blow me down, the live chat is staffed by people who barely understand English as well. And are very pushy. Sir, you asking me now be telling me what you are want, I am fully understanding and making your outcome a success today, you no needing be having a centre calling of UK.

Sorry I'm not being racist, I just find transactions are easier if two people share a common language.

Other reasons for leaving: the TT Huawei router is absolute filth, damn thing crashes as soon as you have any serious throughput, you can feel the poor little thing overheating, and it stops serving its web interface. Full power cycle needed every few hours.

They have the cheapest fibre packages but the absolute most expensive calls, making them pretty "meh" in value stakes. £12/pm for their anytime calls is the most expensive of the major providers, negating any cheapness in the bb.

But mostly it's the lack of UK customer service staff that I can't abide. Other providers manage to have UK call centres (like Sky) so it really is terrible penny pinching in an operation the size of TT.

Oh and their out-of-contract price rises are ridiculous. It's like they want you to switch. £22/pm bb rising to £41 (!!!) outside of the 18 month contract. £22 -> £41! Wow. I guess they're after idiots like me who don't bother switching until 5 years after they ought to.

Service and reliability - fair
Any kind of customer service - non-existent (unless you grew up in somewhere like Hong Kong and can understand the accent)

Caporegime
OP
Can’t believe you are paying that for TT.

Go save yourself £10 and go get a bundle phone line and fibre with zen internet.

There is no reason why an ISP wouldn’t allow you to switch once you are out of contract.
I'll take another look at Zen, tho I looked the other month and they were one of the most expensive??

I can only say that Sky told me like a week after the switch was due to take place that TT had blocked the switch, and there was nothing they could do since TT would not relinquish the line. Googled it today and it seems I'm not the only one who's had that problem with TT...

e: Yeah Zen is super expensive. £35 for fibre + line rental, calls not included. So that's about £45 including monthly call costs. Zen don't have a call plan, only PAYG.

For comparison, someone like NowTV is £30 pm including anytime calls.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Not as expensive as what you are paying now.

Zen Now have a promise never to rise your price of your contract for as long as you are with them from day 1 of you signing up.

It can get cheaper but never more expensive.

ISPs can’t do that. What you could have done is cancelled the line, and then a week after the end date ordered a new ISP.

Caporegime
OP
ISPs can’t do that. What you could have done is cancelled the line, and then a week after the end date ordered a new ISP.
Would lose my number tho. If you cancel the line TT will put the number back into the pool of available numbers.

I'm not the one who uses the phone and that would have been more than my life's worth :p

Permabanned
Would lose my number tho. If you cancel the line TT will put the number back into the pool of available numbers.

I'm not the one who uses the phone and that would have been more than my life's worth :p

That’s what a mobiles are for where house numbers are included in minuets.

Are you out of contract now with TT?

Unless they are calling somewhere outside of the U.K. lol!

Caporegime
OP
Yeah been out of contract for years. Was out of contract back in 2015 when I tried to switch. I think my contract with Sky was from 2012 and my TT contracts was a couple years before that. Probably 2005 or something.

Soldato
You don’t contact your provider anymore. You tell whoever you want to move to that you want to move and they sort it out.

I’m also a great believer in Zen, or Daisy if you can access their services where you are. I’m 99.999% certain you won’t lose your phone number as long as you don’t move house but Zen offer ‘broadband only’ packages where they supply the broadband and someone else does your phone.

Soldato
Joining who? what you got a spare house for? Someone could be using that. :p

im not rich... just a rental, by the time in 65 or whatever the retirement age will be 423... , Joining talk because the £28 is to good to turn down. I might try the ol call up order then cancel to get a better deal trick .. lets see

Back
Top Bottom