Talktalk HG633 replacement options

Associate
Recently ive been suffering with problems with the notorious Talktalk HG633 "superouter". Not only is it unreliable but the wifi speeds are shocking frequently dropping connection when multiple devices connect at once. The Ethernet ports only support up to 100mbps too.

I want to be able to run a steamlink reliably, have a steady connection to my pc for online gaming and have a reliable wifi signal to stream media (currently over Sky Q to a sky mini box although I eventually want to setup a media server of some sort).

I have a TP-Link WR1043ND lying around, however the HG633 doesn't support modem only mode and I cant seem to get them to perform reliably together. I understand this router is old, however I don't know how well it performs as its never really been used, perhaps a VDSL modem in combination with this would be a cheap option? Perhaps a new modem/router setup would be better?

Eventually I want to run Ethernet ports to my main pc, steamlink and perhaps an upstairs tv or console for media steaming.

I should mention its a fibre connection via VDSL so this is essential. My budget is about £80, but if something really stands out and will be futureproof for my needs I'm willing to spend double that. Wether its worth buying a new modem/router or just a modem in tandem with the TP-Link router I have I have no idea and am looking for advice or recommendations.

Many thanks

Soldato
I'm in the same place. Having issues with two computers on the network losing connection to the net via ethernet and then not being able to communicate with other networked machines as as result.

Anyone have any suggestions?

What did you end up getting @shmokey?

Associate
I too am with talktalk and less than impressed with the hg633. I've been meaning to post a thread for a few days now and just came on to do it when I noticed op. Subbed to thread in eager anticipation of suggestions!

Associate
For me, I still used the HG633 as the modem and router but for the wireless network I used a wireless access point, an Unifi AC lite. I have been using this config for almost a year now and it's been pretty stable. The Unifi AC lite has never gone down unless it was firmware updates or making changes to the configuration and the HG 633 hasn't rebooted expect for any maintenance needed. I also have all wired devices connected to a gigabit switch including the Unifi AC Lite and a single ethernet cable from the switch to the HG633. This still allowed me to have gigabit local transfer to devices connected to the switch. It also work fine for game streaming. I used Nvidia Gamestream + Moonlight app and it worked pretty well for both wired and wireless (used 5ghz band). Don't have a Steam link to try Steam's streaming.
You could use another old/new router but I don't think you can turn off the router side on the HG 633.

Associate
I'm getting an issue where I cannot access the HG633's interface via 192.168.1.1 unless I reboot the router. Talktalk support are pretty useless, they just tell me to turn it off and back on and because I can again connect they feel it is fixed. A few hours later I won't be able to access it again.

I have looked at the unifi AC lites, and whilst they are appealing from the wifi point of view, I'd also like a router I can utilise QoS and install a VPN on.

Associate
I'm getting an issue where I cannot access the HG633's interface via 192.168.1.1 unless I reboot the router. Talktalk support are pretty useless, they just tell me to turn it off and back on and because I can again connect they feel it is fixed. A few hours later I won't be able to access it again.

I have looked at the unifi AC lites, and whilst they are appealing from the wifi point of view, I'd also like a router I can utilise QoS and install a VPN on.
I remember seeing an answer from their community forums that the v1.22t firmware is bugged. It stops you accessing the interface after a some time from a reboot. It's a known issue.

Associate
Yea I've seen that. Unfortunately when it happens it also stops issuing IP addresses to some devices until the router is rebooted. Talktalk support are their useful selves.... this coupled with poor wifi is why I want to get shot of the hg633!

Associate
Just a quick update. After grumbling on the talktalk community forums they sent me out a replacement router free of charge (D-Link 3782).

Associate
I replaced talk talk router with net gear orbi system in conjunction using an old open reach modem. The difference is night and day now.

Tempted to replace the open reach modem in the future with a Drayteck Vigor 130 modem. Has anybody done this, if so could you please offer an insight.

Associate
Hi, I'm trying to do exactly the same thing. I managed to get the orbi system running connected to the Talk talk router, but I can't get it to work when connecting it via the old open reach modem. Some basic steps would be much appreciated...

Soldato
Tempted to replace the open reach modem in the future with a Drayteck Vigor 130 modem. Has anybody done this, if so could you please offer an insight.

They’re both simple modems. Unless the modem you are using is giving you problems, I wouldn’t spend any more money. You won’t see any performance benefit of that’s what you’re after.

Back
Top Bottom