Tax question

Soldato
So, my tax was up yesterday and I've only just noticed. My dad told me that I have 13 days to renew it at the Post Office and I was wondering if anyone knew if this was correct? Sounds strange to me lol.

Soldato
As above, it's not correct - either go to the post office to renew it or if this is not possible order online (and risk being done for not displaying )

Soldato
No, you won't get done for having no tax but will be fined for not displaying - you only have a grace period if you order online before the original expires

Soldato
Taken from one of the police forces websites (Tayside) but this is National afaik. Important bit highlighted in bold.

Have I got 14 days grace to get my new tax disc when it runs out?
No, there is no period of grace for road tax. If your car is on a public road without a valid tax disc you commit an offence and you could be fined.

However when you apply for a tax disc online or by using the DVLA phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

You have advance warning when the tax is due to expire, either six months or twelve months. You should make arrangements to re-tax your car within plenty of time of the expiration date of your current tax disc. You can tax your vehicle on line, see website in related information for more details.

Irrespective of whether a car is used on a road the DVLA send out automatic penalty notices to anyone who has not renewed their tax disc (unless they have completed a Statutory Off Road Notice). However, the DVLA delay sending out such notices until 14 days after the licence is expired, which is where the myth that there is 14 days grace probably began.

Soldato
Irrespective of whether a car is used on a road the DVLA send out automatic penalty notices to anyone who has not renewed their tax disc (unless they have completed a Statutory Off Road Notice). However, the DVLA delay sending out such notices until 14 days after the licence is expired, which is where the myth that there is 14 days grace probably began.
I think I received a letter from the DVLA about no tax (I forgot), and it wasn't a fine. They seemed to be pretty slow off the mark.

Associate
This very thread reminded me I need to tax my car!!! Yesterday! bottoms..

luckily I have been riding the bike,

tax ordered today online, and will ride the bike to work.. cant do me for not displaying then lol

Man of Honour
This very thread reminded me I need to tax my car!!! Yesterday! bottoms..

luckily I have been riding the bike,

tax ordered today online, and will ride the bike to work.. cant do me for not displaying then lol

No, they can do you under the even more retarded rules about having a vehicle not declared SORN :(

Caporegime
Luckily its on the lane, which is private.

Unless you've made a SORN you can still receive a penalty.

If you have not made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) and your vehicle is not taxed, an automatic penalty of £80 will apply.

Your vehicle doesn’t need to be seen on the road for an offence to have been committed. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) carries out a check of its records each month to identify untaxed vehicles. DVLA has the authority to carry out enforcement action against you using the information held on its records.

Back
Top Bottom