Taxing new car (currently SORN)

Associate
I'm a bit confused about what exactly I should do in order to tax a car that I have just bought, which is currently SORN. Hopefully someone can help me out!

The car is at the old owners house, with the SORN and MOT documentation, though I have the MOT and V5 document reference numbers. In order to pick it up and drive it back home, I have to have valid insurance and tax. Insurance will be straightforward to transfer I think, but I'm not sure about tax. I can't seem to go through the online process, so I guess I will need to go to a post office. Will I need to show the MOT and insurance certificates (neither of which I have)? Is there any flexibility? Will I be able to drive the car home untaxed?

Also, my current car will need to be scrapped. Does the car need to be insured for the journey to the local scrap centre? Do I declare the car SORN and ask for a refund on the current tax disc? Or is there a separate scrapping process?

Thanks for any help!

Maz

Maz

Soldato
Your current car will need to be taxed and insured if you are driving it to the scrap yard, or just ask them to collect it!

You will have to go to the post office with V5, MOT and Insurance to tax your new car,.

Associate
the online process of taxing the car will not woek unless the car you are trying to tax shows up on the datbase as having a valid mot and insurance document. If you transfer your insurance you should be able to tax it.

Associate
OP
OK, thanks for the advice chaps.

What about get rid of the old car? Do I need to inform the DVLA? Or declare the vehicle SORN? Or do the scrap centre take care of this?

Soldato
OK, thanks for the advice chaps.

What about get rid of the old car? Do I need to inform the DVLA? Or declare the vehicle SORN? Or do the scrap centre take care of this?

Theres a section on the V5 which you fill out when scrapping a car which you send off to the DVLA.

Associate
OP
Theres a section on the V5 which you fill out when scrapping a car which you send off to the DVLA.

Ah OK thanks!

The car I'll be getting rid of is a Renault 5 Campus. Am I likely to get money for the scrap metal value of the car? Or will I have to pay the scrap yard to dispose of it properly?

Soldato
Ah OK thanks!

The car I'll be getting rid of is a Renault 5 Campus. Am I likely to get money for the scrap metal value of the car? Or will I have to pay the scrap yard to dispose of it properly?

If it's still working why not flog it on eBay? Might get more than what a scrapper will give you. There is always a market for old cars like this to be used as a restoration project.

Associate
OP
If it's still working why not flog it on eBay? Might get more than what a scrapper will give you. There is always a market for old cars like this to be used as a restoration project.

Well I phoned all the local scrap yards and the best quote I got was £60. Thing is I'm not sure I'll get much more on eBay... the MOT is up at the end of the month and it failed the retest. Hmmm!

Associate
OP
It's a 1995 Renault 5 Campus Prima, and it's in a pretty poor condition, hence the plan to scrap it.

£200+ to get it through the MOT... so I'm getting a £500 Clio instead!

Rusty windscreen seal area, front wings, wheel arches (one hole needs welding)
Track rod end ball joint needs replacing
Catalyst needs replacing
Front suspension coil needs replacing

Engine is fine as far as I know. I'm still going to be using it for work until Friday when I pick up the new car!

Back
Top Bottom