• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

TDP question XTX cards

Associate
Hey all,

So I'm still weighing up which XTX card to get and have another question in relation to TDP / power draw. I'm looking at the AS Rock Phantom and GB Aorus 7900 xtx on overclockers.

I've not used AMD before can I do either of the following to keep the TDP below 320/350?

1) Set a TDP limit - I realise this will 'gate' performance for me
2) Undervolt and/or LOWER clock speeds?

The reason being is there may be a game I want to enjoy maxed up and pay more electricity for but others I'd be happy to pay less electricity and possibly play less than optimally.

Thanks again

Man of Honour
You can do both, though I think you set the power limit as a %, not as a literal number: "320".

This is about the driver options:

This just talks you through it:

Setting a frame cap basically does the same thing and is usually quicker/simpler.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can undervolt/reduce clocks/reduce the power slider/set FPS limits in Adrenaline globally or on a per game profile.

Saving settings on a per game profile is best as they will keep set and won't reset on reboot as Adrenaline tends to reset to default on reboot.

You can also simply press the Eco button in Adrenaline to drop the clocks/reduced power and as above set it on a per game basis via each games profile

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

Will make a decision this week. I may just bite the bullet get an aorus and mess around with the settings on a per game profile basis. ...surely the resell value will be better long term with a card like this.

Man of Honour
The GB Aorus 7900 xtx, does near 4 t flops more than the stock.
It depends how long you keep it and if it has a chance of being something that collectors are interested in, but generally speaking: the performance gap of premium cards only diminishes over time (or rather, the meaning/relevance of the gap).

Since, newer cards will be faster for cheaper and more desirable in terms of their features and energy efficiency and whatever premium you pay when you buy it, is hardly ever recovered when you sell it, because the depreciation of the card is far greater than any additional value it manages to retain against the cheaper competing cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
I may just bite the bullet get an aorus and mess around with the settings on a per game profile basis. ...surely the resell value will be better long term with a card like this.
I've got a Pulse 79XTX and it's a solid built no frills(rgb) gpu and it's a bit quieter under load than my 3080 which wasn't obtrusive by any means either-it was quiet too.

For resale value, the Pulse costs the same as the Aorus, but Sapphire imo is the Evga of AMD therefore the best built, Pulse is also shorter in length, width and height so fits more cases than the Aorus so it's easier to sell.

If bought here, 3yr rma is dealt with OcUK.

Be careful if you purchase Sapphire elsewhere as Sapphire do not accept rma's- the onus is on the etailer check/get confirmation before you purchase!

Chances are, you won't get any more for the Aorus/Pulse than the hellhound anyway.

The only 79XTXs that might command (still not much)more in the long run would be the Nitro, Devils or Tuf's.

Back
Top Bottom