TeamGroup 8pack 4000 kits : Gigabyte Z370 F8 bios Breaks Them

Soldato
z390 boards are in general a lot better - or you hope so - were penned just as z370 was released and pretty much just z270 boards .
Not sure is next apex will allow 4 sticks- wouldn't think so as defeats the point of the board - hero would be the likely candidate.
tried running kit at CL10 - think its been working out 4100hz + is were speed finally overtakes CL10 3200hz - takes a bit of time tuning
but as mentioned, Two sticks should be working from the Get Go . Think i've started to enter in ram timings manually for asus and aorus boards, slower but you know it works

have you actually tagged rep in here (couldn't see it above) ? @GIGA-Man .
if you want an asus rep, you'll have to use their main forum which is the only downside as no UK/EU support directly.

Worth trying CL10 and see how you get on with benchmarks, even if you swap the board, my prefer C10 3200hz over cl18 4000hz

Soldato
OP
z390 boards are in general a lot better - or you hope so - were penned just as z370 was released and pretty much just z270 boards .
Not sure is next apex will allow 4 sticks- wouldn't think so as defeats the point of the board - hero would be the likely candidate.
tried running kit at CL10 - think its been working out 4100hz + is were speed finally overtakes CL10 3200hz - takes a bit of time tuning
but as mentioned, Two sticks should be working from the Get Go . Think i've started to enter in ram timings manually for asus and aorus boards, slower but you know it works

have you actually tagged rep in here (couldn't see it above) ? @GIGA-Man .
if you want an asus rep, you'll have to use their main forum which is the only downside as no UK/EU support directly.

Worth trying CL10 and see how you get on with benchmarks, even if you swap the board, my prefer C10 3200hz over cl18 4000hz

Hi there, im already running CL17.16.16.38 @4000
but for some reason the performance is just not there. i should be getting better scores and lower latency comparing my settings to other peoples settings with 4 sticks, there getting much better performance with 4 sticks at cl16 4000 i should be getting 60k+ read and write and lower latency than 50ns. (they where all on APEX boards though) but using the same cpu and same 4x sticks.

by all means look at this image :

2ibyrn9.jpg

do you see anything thats to tight or to loose thats causing the performance issues.

Soldato
Getting to the point and very blunt i see,
Well you would think they would be quicker eh.
I guess us customers to GIGABYTE mean very little to them.. even though we buy there hardware, and i would have thought being you that you would have got a even quicker response being that its your sponsored memory kits that are on there QVL list of approved memory on the board gigabyte gaming 7 that are XMP Approved that are in question..
But anyway, i will try to figure something to fix this issue probably change boards to Asus Apex or change ram to something different... that has Samsung B - Die

To be fair there's no magic bullet answer for each individual case as the issue is likely very CPU dependent, so I'm not sure what you're asking him for.

Soldato
OP
I have given up trying to get help with tweaking this set or even getting gigabyte to fix xmp they clearly dont have the time... i know one things for sure, gigabyte is not the next boards i plan to purchase... there memory support/oc support sucks and there customer support is none existent.

Associate
you could start with changing the memory to 1T, lowering tRFC to <320, and tighten the 2nd timing one by one. Since you are running 4 sticks, things are more difficult.

Soldato
Hi there, im already running CL17.16.16.38 @4000
but for some reason the performance is just not there. i should be getting better scores and lower latency comparing my settings to other peoples settings with 4 sticks, there getting much better performance with 4 sticks at cl16 4000 i should be getting 60k+ read and write and lower latency than 50ns. (they where all on APEX boards though) but using the same cpu and same 4x sticks.

by all means look at this image :

2ibyrn9.jpg

do you see anything thats to tight or to loose thats causing the performance issues.

Change write latency to 12, all of your terts could do with some work, too

Soldato
OP
you could start with changing the memory to 1T, lowering tRFC to <320, and tighten the 2nd timing one by one. Since you are running 4 sticks, things are more difficult.

Cant get T1 at 4000 no matter what setting i tweak. @4000 though i think this is a z370/4 dim limitation at the rated speed the dims are programmed at.. i will try the 2nd timings and report back with results if sucsessfull. i really wanted @8pack to tweak these up but he is to busy

my problem is really not with the memory or 8pack though its gigabyte for fudging up the complete set on the gaming 7 motherboards. xmp enabled and the memory auto trains at 3600mhz instead of 4000 like its ment to do hence why im tuning them now as xmp is borked.

Soldato
OP
Change write latency to 12, all of your terts could do with some work, too

I will try cas write latency at 12 and report back...
14 is the lowest i can get on cas write latency otherwise it boots up @4000 but seriously crippled speeds lol
and yeah i need to work on terts also... would have been a lot easier from someone that knows what there doing with tweaking AKA 8pack but he is AWOL lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
after running ryzen boards, getting the above working on intel with 4 sticks and 4000hz CL17 is damn good!

you running heavy data workloads ?

yeah i know its ok but i have seen this set with a APEX board getting really better scores with the same above settings, its like the bandwith is lower on gigabyte boards at the same settings you would use on a apex for some reason. hence why these gigabyte gaming 7 board is crap for memory OCing/tweaking.
i dont do heavy workloads just the normal stuff you would do with your computer, video encoding/gaming/music/browsing/movies. ect ect.

Soldato
I will try cas write latency at 12 and report back...
14 is the lowest i can get on cas write latency otherwise it boots up @4000 but seriously crippled speeds lol
and yeah i need to work on terts also... would have been a lot easier from someone that knows what there doing with tweaking AKA 8pack but he is AWOL lol

Just lower them methodically and make sure to test for instability. These things take time.

This is with 4 DIMMs at 4000MHz on X299. Remember the Apex is a 2 DIMM board, so the two aren't directly comparable. Latency is going to be better on the Apex, and you'll likely be able to tighten down more on it, too.

8PfL7TS.png

OcUK Staff
OK guys those running 4000mhz 8Pack dimms and Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z370 I have managed to assist them in fixing the Bios so XMP is running correctly at 4000mhz C19 yes instead of c18 but running tight cas seems very difficult on gigabyte. See screen shot for testing.

Sadly you cant push passed 4000mhz with this Bios as a bug downclocks the divider to 3733mhz if you select 4133mhz. This is something I am working on now. But atleats with this one clocking to 4000mhz is no issue with XMP just enabled working perfectly.

Here is the link to download this Beta Bios I used / helped develop:
https://goo.gl/RSFz5N

It has been said on here not to buy 8Pack memory because of problems like this which are nothing at all to do with the memory just the MB vendor. I ask which other company is helping its customers in this way??? You can buy 8Pack memory in confidence I will help and follow up issues but it does take time to test all this stuff..... 3500+ Kits sold now and climbing!!!

Associate
I will also do my best to support 8pack and you all and get BIOS for the memory where I can too, there is going to be further BIOS for this memory range to ensure the best support possible. We at GIGABYTE will always try and fix any issue you find and report.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I will also do my best to support 8pack and you all and get BIOS for the memory where I can too, there is going to be further BIOS for this memory range to ensure the best support possible. We at GIGABYTE will always try and fix any issue you find and report.

It'd be good if Gigabyte could fix the F10 Bios on the X399 Gaming 7. A rep really should be having a read through http://forum.gigabyte.us/board/39/x399

Soldato
OP
OK guys those running 4000mhz 8Pack dimms and Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z370 I have managed to assist them in fixing the Bios so XMP is running correctly at 4000mhz C19 yes instead of c18 but running tight cas seems very difficult on gigabyte. See screen shot for testing.

Sadly you cant push passed 4000mhz with this Bios as a bug downclocks the divider to 3733mhz if you select 4133mhz. This is something I am working on now. But atleats with this one clocking to 4000mhz is no issue with XMP just enabled working perfectly.

Here is the link to download this Beta Bios I used / helped develop:
https://goo.gl/RSFz5N

It has been said on here not to buy 8Pack memory because of problems like this which are nothing at all to do with the memory just the MB vendor. I ask which other company is helping its customers in this way??? You can buy 8Pack memory in confidence I will help and follow up issues but it does take time to test all this stuff..... 3500+ Kits sold now and climbing!!!

From your picture your running F6 bios i had no problem running XMP with 4 sticks @XMP and working correctly but at 19.18.18.38 this was even before i made this post.
the problem was when updating to F7 they fixed the memory timings but when run under XMP it would boot the memory @3600mhz @ 18.18.18.38 and would also display half the bandwith when tested like they where running crippled.....
and running F7 bios it works correctly @4000mhz with 19.18.18.38 timings when manually set with the primerys only but XMP is a no go.

So anyway and as for you GIGAMAN welcome to the party as far as support goes its slow/ to none existent thats all i will say. even 8pack himself said you guys are slow or take very long time to reply to his emails, hopefully by the time there is a fix i will be on a different motherboard and be done with gigabyte all together ASUS APEX FTW..

Soldato
From your picture your running F6 bios i had no problem running XMP with 4 sticks @XMP and working correctly but at 19.18.18.38 this was even before i made this post.
the problem was when updating to F7 they fixed the memory timings but when run under XMP it would boot the memory @3600mhz @ 18.18.18.38 and would also display half the bandwith when tested like they where running crippled.....
and running F7 bios it works correctly @4000mhz with 19.18.18.38 timings when manually set with the primerys only but XMP is a no go.

So anyway and as for you GIGAMAN welcome to the party as far as support goes its slow/ to none existent thats all i will say. even 8pack himself said you guys are slow or take very long time to reply to his emails, hopefully by the time there is a fix i will be on a different motherboard and be done with gigabyte all together ASUS APEX FTW..

You need to stop comparing the Apex, it has 2 less DIMM slots. So how are you even making that comparison when talking about a 4 DIMM kit. The slot layout on the Apex alone makes it far better for memory overclocking.

Soldato
OP
You need to stop comparing the Apex, it has 2 less DIMM slots. So how are you even making that comparison when talking about a 4 DIMM kit. The slot layout on the Apex alone makes it far better for memory overclocking.

Irrelivent wouldn't matter if it was 2 slot or 4 slot, this gigabyte board behaves the same way as i have tried 2 sticks only vs 4 sticks. the board is just a complete mess when it comes to running xmp or dialling in Manuel settings compared to lots of shots and reviews about the apex and its clocking potential with memory and its overall optimization when it comes to memory. This kit just works a lot better on the apex for some reason..

OcUK Staff
Seriously you cant compare a T Topology board to a daisy chain for memory OC or a four dimm to a two dimm. Its all completely relevant, Silent is absolutely correct. I probably tried 50 different 8th gen CPU on different boards and some no matter what are not stable above 3733mhz. Rare but some. Some can only do 4k in two dimm boards. Some can don 4133mhz on 4 dimm board with all populated. Just like its a silicon lottery on how far you can push the core on a CPU its exactly the same for its ability to clock memory.

I am currently qualifying 5000mhz 8Pack sticks on APEX X299 and Z370 and X299 OC formula. For this you have to select a one in 10 IMC and use a 2 Dimm board. no matter what settings you use on the mems. With the correct IMC HCI stable without issue.

Gigabyte currently do have a bios problem with high mem speed kits. We are trying to help them fix it but its not a simple fix and takes time and testing. I reported all what your saying already to them and suggested more fixes each time they revise. I dont have time to do anymore with my current workload and can only test what is put infront of me after suggested fixes...

If mems are important to you buy a two dimm board and bin IMC.

Back
Top Bottom