• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Tearing with Eyefinity...

Associate
Hi all,

Recently I got an Eyefinity set up, using 3x Iilyama 2473HDS screens and a Sapphire 7970 to power it. I connected it up using everything that came supplied with the graphics card:

1 DVI to DVI connection
1 HDMI to DVI adaptor
1 mini DP to DVI adaptor

This seemed to be working great at first, but since I've noticed that on my third screen (right hand side) I get horizontal tearing about 2-3 inches up the screen, running all the way along it whilst playing games. This only happens when V Sync is enabled, but with V Sync off things don't look at all as smooth IMO.

The weird thing is I am 100% sure that it wasn't there to start with...also, since I've noticed it and did some tinkering, I was able to stop it for a short while but then it reverted back.

I've updated to the new 12.2 drivers, which also didn't solve the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've read lots of topics on the subject, so it seems to be a known issue, but some of the facts seem strange, such as its just something that happens with eyefinity when you use different types of inputs. some people seem to blame the adaptor that comes supplied with Sapphire cards.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

Associate
I've always read its because of the different inputs being used. I looked into this myself not to long ago and that seemed to be the explanation as the 6990's running 4 display port conections don't get the tearing.

I run on a 6970 and have two dvi port and one mini display port to dvi connection and the display port connection will always tear as I have my center monitor running straight dvi set to primary. If i set the display port monitor to primary then the two dvi connected monitors tear. So that supports the theory but I don't know if the 7000 series cards work the same.

Associate
OP
I think you're absolutely right from what I've found so far. The only really confusing thing is that I am 100% sure it didn't tear at the start, also once I was aware of the problem, I did some testing and managed to make it stop for a very short time by unplugging the adaptor then plugging it in again. This solved it until the next time I ran a game - but I've been unable to replicate this fix again.

Some people seem to believe that buying a different display port adaptor might help, as opposed to using the one supplied with the graphics card, but I really don't know.

Its a really annoying problem as the tearing is quite noticeable, even though it's on one of the side screens. :(

Soldato
Cant say ive noticed any tearing myself, ive used a 6970 and now a7970, i use displayport adaptor to dvi, dvi and hdmi, didnt get a displayport adaptor with my xfx 7970 so still useing the his one i bought from ocuk

Associate
OP
That's interesting, I'm wondering if another adaptor would fix it. I've noticed its not all games that tear though - SWTOR doesn't tear with VSync enabled and disabled, currently its happening in DIRT 3 if I turn on Vsync however.

Have you ever tried it with the adaptor that came with your XFX card?

Associate
OP
@ Andy - Yeah, I have, but I've also tested with the overclock turned off, which didn't seem to make any difference.

@ oldgamer Ah I see :)

Associate
Try disabling AMD overdrive then do the whole set-up eyefinity group again.

I have the same monitors myself and dont get this problem. But im using a 5850.

Back
Top Bottom