Technical CV writing

Man of Honour
One thing I have always struggled with is CV writing. I used Purple CV about 5 years ago but I haven't had to update my CV since then (yes I know it should always be up to date!).

The Purple CV output was okay, but I don't think I'd pay for it again. There are now a myriad of CV writing services, and AI services. Some free, some paid, but to me they cater for non-technical roles and they are are clearly for the American market. They also appear to be the new mattress market, with fake reviews and snake oil marketing.

I'm curious if anyone has used any UK based services and can offer an unbiased review.

Man of Honour
There's someone on this subforum that offers CV writing services, EvilRob perhaps but I may have that wrong.

I'm always in two minds about this, on the one hand I consider myself smart enough to make an OK CV, and nobody knows more about me than I do. I've also taken the view historically that a good candidate with an "OK" CV is better placed than a mediocore candidate with a really well presented CV - so it being more a minimum threshold where you're fine so long as it isn't a complete car crash CV with spelling mistakes, bad formatting and inconsistent/confusing layout. On the other hand, I'm not a professional in that space nor particularly good with aesthetics design, so if someone else could optimise my CV and make it more impactful, that might be money well spent. Maybe being a good candidate with a great CV would make the difference over simply being a good candidate with an OK CV.

Last edited:
Associate
There's someone on this subforum that offers CV writing services, EvilRob perhaps but I may have that wrong.

I'm always in two minds about this, on the one hand I consider myself smart enough to make an OK CV, and nobody knows more about me than I do. I've also taken the view historically that a good candidate with an "OK" CV is better placed than a mediocore candidate with a really well presented CV - so it being more a minimum threshold where you're fine so long as it isn't a complete car crash CV with spelling mistakes, bad formatting and inconsistent/confusing layout. On the other hand, I'm not a professional in that space nor particularly good with aesthetics design, so if someone else could optimise my CV and make it more impactful, that might be money well spent. Maybe being a good candidate with a great CV would make the difference over simply being a good candidate with an OK CV.

For me I think it's quite important as it's (fairly or not) opinion forming on the applicant. Does it look professional, does it look clean tidy and precise? Is the content concise and relevant, is it drawing out the experience that the candidate has and that you are looking for? Does the interests/skills section have something you can relate to?

And also a big consideration now is that lots of firms employ a AI/ machine learning application that will screen your CV. Very easy to even get through this stage if not formatted right, correct words etc.

Not sure if it's worth paying a professional but certainly is if you're not confident it's hitting right spots or you're getting constant rejections etc.

Man of Honour
For sure, I mean it's almost certainly the only output of any kind you've seen from that person at the point you first read the CV, so it's all you have to judge them on. But I guess from my point of view it's more that they might put me off with some big faux pas (errors, lack of attention to detail) rather than wowing me with an awesome CV. Things like it being a really long rambly CV I can kind of live with, so long as they are ticking the boxes.

Associate
For sure, I mean it's almost certainly the only output of any kind you've seen from that person at the point you first read the CV, so it's all you have to judge them on. But I guess from my point of view it's more that they might put me off with some big faux pas (errors, lack of attention to detail) rather than wowing me with an awesome CV. Things like it being a really long rambly CV I can kind of live with, so long as they are ticking the boxes.

But if you know you're in a stack of CVs and you really want the role, or if you're applying for stretch roles that you need luck or someone to have a vision of you doing I'd say its really important. Also let's be honest as hiring managers we are not always going to be in the mood/have time to pick out the jewels in the rambly stuff.

Eg a basic error I see is people listing their education first when they're applying for an experienced role. I assume you have a masters&undergrad so why tell me immediately? I don't give a **** that you were a student captain 10 years ago! I want to immediately wow me with something actually interesting! Small formatting like that doesn't exactly endear you to a hiring manager.

Soldato
Never used a service.

Used to have a long CV but after I went IT contracting I shortened it down to the bare minimum mostly only putting anything that's happened in the last 2-5yrs, and only if it's related to the role/contract I was applying for. It starts with what I've done last and oldest stuff is at the end.

Permanent a long time now and they don't use CVs they use massive internal forms. Utter nonsense.

But I'm applying externally and had much better success with a very short minimalist CV.

Back
Top Bottom