technical hurdle cleared in fusion research

Soldato
Wow, it looks impressive, that Core looks like something out of Star Trek. Im sure fusion will solve our energy problems. :)

Permabanned
Isotope said:
Wow, it looks impressive, that Core looks like something out of Star Trek. Im sure fusion will solve our energy problems. :)

Not at all. Unlimited cheap energy will cause as many problems as it solves....

Soldato
Jono said:
What's that hot?

They kickstart the reaction with a huge laser AFAIK. I have been following the development of the new French TOKAMAK reactor quite closely, and this is good news. If we do get nuclear fusion plants to work it will mean loads of cheap energy, with very little environmental impact. Can't say the oil companies will be very happy though.

Soldato
Remember that heat is simply energy...

All you need to do is transfer a WHOLE lot of energy to the atoms to heat them to those insane temperatures... not quite like heating stuff in a furnace, etc.... simple energy transfer :)

Associate
Amp34 said:
....Wont they be using a lot of energy extracting the hydrogen from water though?

Isn't Deuterium also known as Heavy Water? something like 10% heavier than normal water? can't it be distilled or even seperated with a centrafuge? (spelling?). IIRC it makes up about 0.01% of water in the sea.

I'm sure someone will google it soon enough, but are we not sending this through our Sargate already? I'm sure Sam and Daniel arranged some sort of deal in the second or thrid series.

Soldato
Hmmmm....

picture1.jpg

Soldato
The torus is essentially a one turn secondary coil of a giant transformer. A current on the order of around a million ampere passes through the plasma, providing most of the heating. It's then irridated with radio waves, providing it with more energy.

Soldato
callmeBadger said:
Isn't Deuterium also known as Heavy Water? something like 10% heavier than normal water? can't it be distilled or even seperated with a centrafuge? (spelling?). IIRC it makes up about 0.01% of water in the sea.

I'm sure someone will google it soon enough, but are we not sending this through our Sargate already? I'm sure Sam and Daniel arranged some sort of deal in the second or thrid series.

Deuterium (Deuterium Oxide) is indeed knonw as Heavy Water because it is water... 2H2O or D2O.

The difference is the the Hydrogens which are a heavier isotope than in regular water (the Deuterium Hydrogen Isotope). Instead of only having a proton (and no neutrons), the Deuterium nucleus has 1 proton AND 1 neutron which alters it's properties - one of them being the Heavy water is around 10% more dense than normal water

Soldato
whenever I think about fusion reactions I can't help, but think that before a decent solution is invented the oil giants will stomp all over it - they have trillions to lose.

fini

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
fini said:
whenever I think about fusion reactions I can't help, but think that before a decent solution is invented the oil giants will stomp all over it - they have trillions to lose.

fini

The oil wont be there forever though, will it? I think they just might be taking the fact that without expansion into 'future-proof' energy they are all going to die off.

They arent stamping on wind / solar power etc now, its just simply not good enough to replace fossil fuels!

Back
Top Bottom