Technician Software ?

Associate
Hello, I am starting my own business as a PC technician? Can people please give me their thoughts & opinions on tools and software needed?

So far I have;

Tools:
Memory Stick
Blank CD's
screw driver & bits (all possible types needed)
head torch
pliers
tweezers
wire cutters
Earthing strap
PSU Tester
Diagnostic card
Adapters, cables, connectors & spares

Software
Memtest
PC Mark
3D Mark
NEED A GOOD BOOTDISK (FOR ALL WINDOWS VERSIONS) ?
NEED A GOOD DATA RECOVERY SOFTWARE

Any other thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, Info.

Permabanned
Hello, I am starting my own business as a PC technician?

Why are you asking a question here? If your telling us your starting your own business no need to put a ?

Anyway, if your starting your own business you should already have the answer to the question your asking.

PS Your going to be in for a shock. Have you done this before? Make sure you have a mobile you can turn off. ;)

Soldato
Hirens, a big ext3 :)p) usb hard drive, a linux live cd/usb and oem copies of windows will see you through pretty much any software problems and will diagnose some hardware faults.

Are you sure you want to start up a business in this? A remarkable number of computer faults are hardware related, and they're not fun to repair without a good list of component suppliers and an electronics engineer.

Associate
You say PC Technician,
Whats your length of experience in this game?
What target market? home consumer, small business, corp?
Think of liability Insurance, Insurance if you remove the pc's from site, vehicle insurance for customers property.
The best tool you can have is competance in your field, positive vibes to every customer for that repeat business, never start a job if you think you cant handle it...

Some tools for the list, a laptop, laptop charger for car, a usb to 2.5/sata/pata/.... cables and supply, when that laptop/desktop is screwed and they want there data....

God theres so much that goes into it, if your in that game deep already then generally you would know whats needed and prob already have it as you've come across many problems before. Taking a pc apart is simple, putting it together is simple, installing a OS is generally straight forward... but its the all inbetween thats the pain. I was looking at a website the otherday which was for people and small business to advertise personal IT solutions, and shows reviews about their service after..... Some of the people on their looked like wanna be techs who own a pc and thought how hard is it to navigate round windows and put a graphics card in, and their reviews were bad, where the techs got to a point where they didnt know what they were doing and they were blagging the customer and just wanting to leave the customers site.... and in turn would prob neva get business again..
Remember sometimes the best jobs are the ones you dont do, and 1 good job would be heard by 1 person, 1 bad job would be heard by 10 people, so i guess my words are good luck, and too be honest in this climate with jobs, if you could find a IT job which gives you a free vehicle, salary, tools, training if needed, fuel etc, then thats the best job you could have...

So the best tool is confidence and knowledge.

Soldato
Set of windows disks (this is legal as long as you use the product key attached to the PC). Just bare in mind with XP you can't use a retail disk with an OEM licence (I'm not sure about Vista or 7).

Liability insurance.

Bare in mind most of the stuff you're doing will be software, PCs are surprisingly reliable. That and when told it's broken and will cost more then £50 to fix a lot of people will just go and buy another PC.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The most valuable PC of equipment I found was a Sharkoon SATA/PATA 3.5"/2.5" to USB adaptor. Since most people will be coming to you with dead or infected PCs.. you will need to rescue peoples data since most casual users no nothing about backups. The best thing about this devise is that you could plug it into a drive without removing it from a bay.. Simply attach it to a laptop .. switch on.. copy.. and you'll be their hero forever... then ask them how they feel about loosing their valuable pictures.. :)

Software wise, keep a copy of BARTPE plus a copy of the disk diagnostic software from each major disk manufacturer like Samsung WD etc etc.. .. or UBCD.

oh and a multimeter :)

oh and a good work surface ... I found kitchen table height is good..

Spare monitor, hard drives, video cards .. PSU (as must).. etc etc.. collect everything you can. Throw nothing out.. You'll be surprised. when you can reuse them.

Network tester.. spare network adaptors and NICs... Filters..!!

Soft paint brushes.. A good set of lungs when you open peoples PCs.. Yewww.. A good vacuum haha

Piece of advise.. avoid offering builds ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Soon get sick of constant calls once people have your number then they expect 24/7 helpdesk aswell as instant answers.

True. But plumbers/electricians are no different. My advice would be to have a landline number which you give out - out of hours, put an answerphone on there detailing your out of hours callout fees and ask them to either phone a mobile number for immediate assistance or callback during working hours.

There is very good money in support - particularly if you can get a few people working for you and you start supporting SME's on yearly contracts.

Permabanned
True. But plumbers/electricians are no different. My advice would be to have a landline number which you give out - out of hours, put an answerphone on there detailing your out of hours callout fees and ask them to either phone a mobile number for immediate assistance or callback during working hours.

There is very good money in support - particularly if you can get a few people working for you and you start supporting SME's on yearly contracts.

This is very true too, or a mobile with voicemail. Make sure you remember this as it's important otherwise your life will be over.

Associate
OP
OK so, big reply! =) thanks guys.

I have good experience in this field, but lack experience with some things like data recovery. I used to be an I.T tutor and have worked on PC's and their surroundings for years now being an 'all job I.T guy', but have never done it alone. I do have a laptop, mobile phone separate for business, I am confident that I have all the particle stuff I need... apart from software, which was my main reason for posting. But I wanted peoples thoughts and opinions so that I can reassure myself I have everything I need. Which never hurts.

I don't have liability insurance setup yet, but its underway. I have not started trading yet, I am absorbing information and making final preparations. Thanks for the advice, I have gained a few things already from this post. I have a couple of large comprehensive suppliers ready to go, as for engineers/technicians.. I also have knowledgeable people I can contact for help, or queries.

More work than I can handle, is better than not enough work. If it turns out to be an overflow then I will back off my advertising and focus on my customer base, also consider taking on other technicians. As asked, I will not attempt something that I cannot handle or deal with at the time or by myself. I will go away improve on my knowledge of that area and then maybe re-offer the service.

Thanks for the suggestions, help & advice guys. It's much appreciated.
Any thoughts on good virus removal software? :)

Permabanned
Where are you based? Virus removal software, to be fair the people who get these I gaurentee now that you will be revisiting these people. I suggest depends on the type a rollback of the system can sometimes repair this. However, you will still need a box of tricks and sometimes viruses/spyware/adaware scanners don't help. A format is sometimes needed in this scenario.

Associate
OP
"Where are you based? Virus removal software, to be fair the people who get these I gaurentee now that you will be revisiting these people. I suggest depends on the type a rollback of the system can sometimes repair this. However, you will still need a box of tricks and sometimes viruses/spyware/adaware scanners don't help. A format is sometimes needed in this scenario."

I am sorry but I dont wish to disclose my location or business name... im sure you understand. Ok thanks for advice.

"Get yourself a couple of rescue CD's. Most vendors will have their own version. Here'sthe Kaspersky one for example."

Brilliant il check some others out, hadnt thought of this.

Back
Top Bottom