Technician Software ?

Man of Honour
More work than I can handle, is better than not enough work. If it turns out to be an overflow then I will back off my advertising and focus on my customer base, also consider taking on other technicians. As asked, I will not attempt something that I cannot handle or deal with at the time or by myself. I will go away improve on my knowledge of that area and then maybe re-offer the service.

Too much work can result in a poor service which is deterimental to your buniness So get to know your local competitors. Build up a trust with one you so that you can pass on work to each other.. They'll be times when you need advice and support and it works both ways.

Oh and Ccleaner portable... Have this on your USB stick. Imagine that P3 450MHz machine which has never never had a cleanup! :p

Associate
OP
Too much work can result in a poor service which is deterimental to your buniness So get to know your local competitors. Build up a trust with one you so that you can pass on work to each other.. They'll be times when you need advice and support and it works both ways.

Oh and Ccleaner portable... Have this on your USB stick. Imagine that P3 450MHz machine which has never never had a cleanup!

I learnt, thanks =)

Yes I completely appreciate what you are saying, I strive for perfection and will always deliver a reliable & efficient service as possible, I love to finish a job and have a great sense of satisfaction from doing it properly, and not blagging it. I have checked out my competition, but have not allianced with any of them, though I do consider this to be a wise move for the reason you mentioned. Thanks again for your comments. :)

Associate
After 5 years of trading with my own ICT support business I have quite a few tools most of which have been listed here already. But for software I tend to have Microsoft Security Essentials on my memory stick, Malwarebytes anti malware, CCleaner is always useful. Could also pay to have backups of internet browsers ie8, 9, Firefox, Chrome ect. Best to have a few Oem OS Cd's Dvd's lying about. There is no law about downloading them as long as you use legit serial keys that will be attached to the customers tower.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks, certainly worth considering. Il add them to my list. Not sure if any of the above deal with data recovery off of a drive or memory stick/card, but could anyone suggest one?

Soldato
http://portableapps.com - stuff from there
Malwarebytes
Super antispyware (portable)
CCleaner (portable)
Hard drive desktop dock - SATA and IDE
Pen drives
Large external hard drive
Laptop
UBCD or Hirens or similar
Test station (mouse, keyboard, monitor, internet) - for updates/builds/diagnosing
Service packs (XP SP3, Windows 7 SP1, Vista SP2, Office 2003 SP3, Office 2007 SP2, etc.)
WSUS Offline: http://www.wsusoffline.net/

Get hold of the Office 2007 and 2010 installers (primarily 2010) as when providing OEM copies you will only receive a key card. You will need to obtain this from Microsoft, you just need to fill out some details about your company etc. and they will provide an Office 2010 download which includes all editions and will install according to your product key.

Spare parts - graphic cards (AGP, PCI-E, PCI etc.), sound cards, network cards, CD/DVD drives, IDE cables, SATA cables, PSUs, RAM (you will gain a collection of RAM after doing some upgrades for people and taking from old/broken computers). If a customer has a broken PC and replaces it, don't dump it, have somewhere to store it.

That's just a few of them. Once you get going you'll find you need to perform a particular task that requires something. It's difficult to just list them all.

Imagine that P3 450MHz machine which has never never had a cleanup! :p

...4 hours later. :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Get hold of the Office 2007 and 2010 installers (primarily 2010) as when providing OEM copies you will only receive a key card. You will need to obtain this from Microsoft, you just need to fill out some details about your company etc. and they will provide an Office 2010 download which includes all editions and will install according to your product key.
Might you have a linky for this? I hate microsoft websites. lol. Or is it only obtainable when you have the key ready & purchased ?

Soldato
This is very true too, or a mobile with voicemail. Make sure you remember this as it's important otherwise your life will be over.

why would you turn your phone off repeat after me..

"im not sure I will have to come and take a look, that will be £50 please"

Soldato
Might you have a linky for this? I hate microsoft websites. lol. Or is it only obtainable when you have the key ready & purchased ?

Nope, you have to register yourself with Microsoft and they will provide you with an installer, when you put a key into the installer it will install whatever OEM version the customer bought.

I don't have a link, sorry.

You will need this if you're going to provide OEM Office 2010.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/downloads/pages/office_2010_opk.aspx

You may even need to be a MS partner to get this, can't remember.

Associate
OP
why would you turn your phone off repeat after me..

"im not sure I will have to come and take a look, that will be £50 please"

Lol my thoughts exactly, but I guess there are times when you just want peace & quiet.

Nope, you have to register yourself with Microsoft and they will provide you with an installer, when you put a key into the installer it will install whatever OEM version the customer bought.

I don't have a link, sorry.

You will need this if you're going to provide OEM Office 2010.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/down..._2010_opk.aspx

You may even need to be a MS partner to get this, can't remember.

Ok thanks, Il check it out. I do hope I dont have to be a partner.... :/

Associate
OP
Ye this all seems to be all windows 7 & 2010 office installers. Thats ok though, it all helps. Thanks =) Not sure about the partner thing yet..

Edit:

It looks as though you have to be a partner, thanks though.

Soldato
Being a partner is definitely worth it. It's not expensive and means you get all the Windows software you need (depending on the partner pack you select)

Associate
Just another thought - not all customers will have a readily available internet connection - sometimes it could be handy to have a USB Internet dongle at the ready - in case you need to reference some sort of knowledgebase - hey - you can never know everything.

Soldato
Just another thought - not all customers will have a readily available internet connection - sometimes it could be handy to have a USB Internet dongle at the ready - in case you need to reference some sort of knowledgebase - hey - you can never know everything.

This. Either a phone you can tether with (iPhone, something with Android, etc.) or something like a MiFi.

I've actually never come across a case where I've needed to do this, but then we only really deal with businesses. If you're dealing with home users then I can see this coming in handy.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Being a partner is definitely worth it. It's not expensive and means you get all the Windows software you need (depending on the partner pack you select)

Any idea what price range is from-to? I have no idea about being a partner, and do i require anything else other than a payment, like proof of turn over for example?

Ye i agree, have thought of this but would rather not have the monthly expense for now, if things are going well and work begins to roll in regularly then I will do so. Nice thinking though. =)

Associate
OP
This. Either a phone you can tether with (iPhone, something with Android, etc.) or something like a MiFi.

Funnily enough when i was weighing up the dongle option against other variables. I decided to go with Iphone 4, so am currently waiting on one of those =) I know it doesnt DL software etc that I may need, but it will be my information bible!

Associate
Funnily enough when i was weighing up the dongle option against other variables. I decided to go with Iphone 4, so am currently waiting on one of those =) I know it doesnt DL software etc that I may need, but it will be my information bible!

You could go iphone or do what i did, buy a 3 sim and vodafone sim off ebay, not the 30 day non rolling sims, but the top up and last untill you've run out data sims and a mifi unlocked box, then you could use the wifi connection or cable with diff sims/profiles depending of your signal...
Its always handy for your drivers download or forum checking, or even a little research in ya car on ya laptop when a customer phones up....
For the sake or a £15 top up on a sim, how can you loose?

Associate
OP
You could go iphone or do what i did, buy a 3 sim and vodafone sim off ebay, not the 30 day non rolling sims, but the top up and last untill you've run out data sims and a mifi unlocked box, then you could use the wifi connection or cable with diff sims/profiles depending of your signal...
Its always handy for your drivers download or forum checking, or even a little research in ya car on ya laptop when a customer phones up....
For the sake or a £15 top up on a sim, how can you loose?

Hmm interesting, I have already signed up to the Iphone deal which I can cancel but not inclined to for other reasons, atm I have a £25pm phone contract so it will be £10 extra a month for phone plus the extras. I wonder, could I use the wifi from my Iphone to connect to the internet through my laptop? Any ideas?

Associate
OP
It appears I can, but will require jailbreaking it which im not too inclined to do either lol =) I'll consider that option though. I have done a similar thing, I have a phone with a pay as you go SIM, for receiving my work related calls. So I have these already, is it just a case of getting one of those mifi boxs ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom