Technician Software ?

Associate
You could use the phone, by all means get the iphone, wicked phones, and loads you can do with em....
Im just saying for backup/extra, as the credit doesnt run out with the right sim, its a perfect handbag device that is really usefull on the move...

Associate
OP
You could use the phone, by all means get the iphone, wicked phones, and loads you can do with em....
Im just saying for backup/extra, as the credit doesnt run out with the right sim, its a perfect handbag device that is really usefull on the move...
Ok brilliant thanks for advice, so im a little confused, could i not do it with my pay as you go sims? Why does it depend on the SIM? Is it not just how much money you put on there?? Do you mean the internet tarrifs with the relevant network, can be better ?

Combofix, it's the fix all utility

http://www.combofix.org/

Fixes 99% of Windows software issues

Thanks, cant help but wonder if this site is a little sketchy though...?

Edit: Have read some reviews and it looks pretty good, thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Most of the PAYG networks now make you top-up around £10-15 per month, either a direct debit type or just walk into a shop and pay it, but the credit of data only lasts a month and doesnt roll over to the next month, so say you buy 10gb's worth of data then you have 30 days to use it then its gone... back in the day(normally a wednesday) they didnt do this, it was buy and use till it runs out... then they thought hang on we arnt generating a steam of income here, so they made it 30days, thats why most of the companys payg dongles you still have to sign up for a direct debit, but can cancel anytime...
And the different networks just because some data networks have better coverage than others, three have the best data network with good speeds, but they are the newest, others offer better reception, really depends on your areas, but with the mifi boxes you have different profiles you select depending what sim you have... its kinda failsafe....
ebay 'data sim no expiry'

And as far as the iphone, get one, or andriod phones, the more you know about the phones the better, always a good conversation subject whilst sitting in a customers house waiting for things to download, also increases time there and makes you money...

You could start drinking tea or coffee with no milk so it takes longer to cool down, and if they ask do you want food always say yes, saves buying on the way home... then you've made your money back on the sims....

Associate
You should only use combofix if you don't have an antivirus solution installed, As most antivirus's detect it as a virus and it can play havoc with your registry if they conflict. Saying that though it is quite a useful tool!

Soldato
You should only use combofix if you don't have an antivirus solution installed, As most antivirus's detect it as a virus and it can play havoc with your registry if they conflict. Saying that though it is quite a useful tool!

Yes, it's like washing your pants in acid. If all else fails, Combofix :D

Soldato

That isn't the real site

Get combofix from here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

1.JPG

Last edited:
Soldato
Any idea what price range is from-to? I have no idea about being a partner, and do i require anything else other than a payment, like proof of turn over for example?

Ye i agree, have thought of this but would rather not have the monthly expense for now, if things are going well and work begins to roll in regularly then I will do so. Nice thinking though. =)

No, have a look around on the MS site. I think any business can be a partner quite easily. Failing that go for a MSDN/Technet subscription, a few hundred a year and you get pretty much everything you need - even home users can get this.

This! Forgot to mention that one above :)

That isn't the real site

It's not, but it links back to bleepingcomputer

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yep I have a separate land-line and mobile.. Those that do good business with me, I might give them my personal mobile.. but only on trust..

Same here, got land line that redirects to my mobile if not answered. I can then turn on my land line answer machine if needed at weekends. Only given out mobile to the businesses as a second contact number and to those I know who won't phone out of hours.

Soldato
It looks as though you have to be a partner, thanks though.

You only have to be a registered partner to get access to the oem system builder website so pretty much any tom dick or harry can get the downloads without having to pay anything. You may wish to pay for a MAPS subscription though which gives you various internal use software for something like £270 a year.

Associate
OP
Most of the PAYG networks now make you top-up around £10-15 per month, either a direct debit type or just walk into a shop and pay it, but the credit of data only lasts a month and doesnt roll over to the next month, so say you buy 10gb's worth of data then you have 30 days to use it then its gone... back in the day(normally a wednesday) they didnt do this, it was buy and use till it runs out... then they thought hang on we arnt generating a steam of income here, so they made it 30days, thats why most of the companys payg dongles you still have to sign up for a direct debit, but can cancel anytime...
And the different networks just because some data networks have better coverage than others, three have the best data network with good speeds, but they are the newest, others offer better reception, really depends on your areas, but with the mifi boxes you have different profiles you select depending what sim you have... its kinda failsafe....
ebay 'data sim no expiry'

Thanks for all the info, il check it out. Im still a little confused by the type of SIM you mean though, could you send me a link to one, or on ebay?

Yes, it's like washing your pants in acid. If all else fails, Combofix

Gotcha! :D

No, have a look around on the MS site. I think any business can be a partner quite easily. Failing that go for a MSDN/Technet subscription, a few hundred a year and you get pretty much everything you need - even home users can get this.

You only have to be a registered partner to get access to the oem system builder website so pretty much any tom dick or harry can get the downloads without having to pay anything. You may wish to pay for a MAPS subscription though which gives you various internal use software for something like £270 a year.

Ye brilliant, so will this give me access to all the windows versions, office packages & service packs etc? Then you just purchase a key for required software (customer) from microsoft? Is it cheaper due to less packaging etc, in other words do you get a better profit margin?

Same here, got land line that redirects to my mobile if not answered. I can then turn on my land line answer machine if needed at weekends. Only given out mobile to the businesses as a second contact number and to those I know who won't phone out of hours.

May well look into doing this, if my credit will be running out at the end of the month of the new Pay as you go, then it will be cheaper having a landline all together (for everyone). I'll have to check out if it does or not first though, otherwise I'll just keep with the seperate mobile.

Soldato
I have a free YAC number (Your Always Connected)

1st it tries my landline, then after a pre determined amount my mobile, before finally voicemail direct to my email. The parameters can also be set via a login page

You can also fax to my numer and it'll be sent as an email attachment to me!

http://www.yac.com/ext/personalnumber.jsp

(Ignore the security cert thing, been with them 10 years)

181742_10150107282596494_659761493_6600194_3147959_n.jpg

Associate
OP
I have a free YAC number (Your Always Connected)

1st it tries my landline, then after a pre determined amount my mobile, before finally voicemail direct to my email. The parameters can also be set via a login page

You can also fax to my numer and it'll be sent as an email attachment to me!

http://www.yac.com/ext/personalnumber.jsp

(Ignore the security cert thing, been with them 10 years)

Brilliant, this looks well handy! It says about free phone number...? Whats that all about, all phone numbers are free, but you have to pay a line rental for the number to be active.

Also, what are the best websites for I.T advice and information?..... other than this one obviously. Just wanted a couple of opinions, dont need to know why this one or that is better (preventing flame) ;)

Permabanned
Brilliant, this looks well handy! It says about free phone number...? Whats that all about, all phone numbers are free, but you have to pay a line rental for the number to be active.

Also, what are the best websites for I.T advice and information?..... other than this one obviously. Just wanted a couple of opinions, dont need to know why this one or that is better (preventing flame) ;)

This isn't school work is it? ;)

Soldato
When I was a technician I carried this lot with me in the car:

Hiren boot disc
Multi-boot windows DVD/CD
Usb stick with common HP/Dell drivers
A paperclip
Spare PSU
Spare Fans
Spare router
Spare switch
Network cables
Power cables
Mouse, keyboard
Tool kit (screwdrivers, pliers, crimper)
Small torch
usb > serial adapter for rs232 communications
HDD Caddy for both sata and IDE
Laptop

Disable AV first, as per instructions.

Soldato
Brilliant, this looks well handy! It says about free phone number...?

You get a free number that is free, then you hand that out to everyone, who call it and it diverts the call instantly to numbers of your choice. So, ultimately it doesn't matter if you change your mobile or landline phone number as the free YAC number stays the same.

Soldato
You get a free number that is free, then you hand that out to everyone, who call it and it diverts the call instantly to numbers of your choice. So, ultimately it doesn't matter if you change your mobile or landline phone number as the free YAC number stays the same.

Is it free? ;)

Back
Top Bottom