technicolor tg589vac owners thread

Associate
Based on a number of articles I've seen I think that the firmware for this device is managed by your provider. If you got one of these units from your ISP then contact them. I believe that the rationale for this approach is to enable providers to customise the operational parameters of the device to suit their specific needs.

Associate
SSE use Daisy Communications I had the previous router and they would not upgrade firmware for the reason explained above, the routers are configured specifically for SSE and another poster was right SSE try their best but usually can't solve issues. If you get a decent CS they will refer it onto Daisy. They are reluctant to call Openreach because a call out will cost them if it is internal equipment fault

Associate
Hi
I have had this router for years now originally supplied to me by Utility Warehouse, I have also been a Sky customer for 2 years as well and I have been using this same router with Sky for those 2 years.
I think this router is better than Sky's which is why I want to use it but as of today I am facing issues..

I had to use Wireshark to obtain my sky username and password, it works and always has with this router but today the router keeps losing the sky usernamd and password in PPP settings and reverts back to the utility warehouse user/pass.

I have changed it back to Sky's a dozen times now, even factory reset it and reconfigured the router from scratch adding sky's info but it keeps reverting back and making me lose connection.

Do you know how I could fix this?
Thanks
Lee

Associate
Have you tried your Sky router to see if that works with your login details. It could be Sky have done something to stop you using the different router. BT will not allow their routers to be used on third party broadband even though you can change login details. It then simply rejects them. Perhaps Sky have changed their firmware. No expert just suggestions.

Associate
Yes I have used the sky router and connects successfully, it is that which I needed to use in order to extract the sky user/pass using wireshark, which I then input into the router settings of the tg589vac, which initially works and connects me, I am using it right now and have been doing so for many years now, until today for some reason the tg589vac continuously removes the sky user/pass and restores back to the user/pass of the previous ISP that supplied me with the 589.

It wont be nothing to do with sky im confident, if anything, the 589 has updated its firmware and is enforcing the supplied ISP's user/pass maybe, albeit initially allowing me to use third party ISP connection though but within the hour restores back... its weird, surely if it wasnt going to work it wouldnt work, not allow me to work for a short time :/
Already made a new thread, asking for recommendations on a new router

Associate
Hi all,

The firmware is managed and provided by the supplier which is why it's so difficult to find it online. Technicolor themselves do not provide a factory default firmware unfortunately.

There isn't a huge amount of difference between 15.4 and 16.2 and even 16.3. The latter versions are mainly bug fixes and speed optimizations. For the TG589vac (v1) I actually think 15.4 is the best firmware out there. It does have a few limiations (e.g. forwarding port ranges is not available in the web interface), however, UCI System is unlocked. This isn't the case on any of the other firmware versions I've had access to. Having access to UCI System is like having access to Telnet on the previous generations of Technicolor router (e.g. TG582n). This means you can overcome restrictions in the web interface (e.g. port range forwarding). Apparently you can also use this method to make routers work with ISPs such as SKY who have specific configuration requirements.

I'm not expert in using this but after having a play I created a few articles which may be useful for the curious:

http://nickdj.co.uk/internet-routers/router-guides/technicolor/hidden-features-uci-system.html

Regrettably, under instruction of my supplier, I am not able to make newer firmware available publically. For those who dabble in the UCI System you'll notice the name of the firmware supplier is hidden within the routers default configuration which makes it difficult for me distribute it without being caught.

I hope the website helps. Any suggestions are always welcome.

NickDJ

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, came across this post whilst trying to fix an issue that has appeared since what I believe to of been caused by a firmware upgrade. I was previously on Lime and noticed when logging in I am now on firmware Jade. I cannot now seem to get to the time of day restriction settings. Everything seems to be stuck as the old settings with no clear way to disable. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Associate
Hi, came across this post whilst trying to fix an issue that has appeared since what I believe to of been caused by a firmware upgrade. I was previously on Lime and noticed when logging in I am now on firmware Jade. I cannot now seem to get to the time of day restriction settings. Everything seems to be stuck as the old settings with no clear way to disable. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

I also have this problem with my kids devices now permanently restricted by the time of day settings. Has anyone found a solution? Can NickDj's 15.4 firmware be safely installed over 16.2? If I did this would the router just upgrade itself again?

Associate
Hi
Anyone know how to stop the assistance button from resetting back to disabled. Would be really useful as I can then access settings via my mobile phone.
I did set it up a couple of times but it resets and the https address (port number?) and password change.
My router details below, and thanks in advance.

Product Vendor -Technicolor
Product Name -MediaAccess TG589vac v2
Software Version -16.1
Firmware Version -16.1.6735-1941004-20160623170717
Bootloader Version -2.0.85
Hardware Version -VANT-8

Associate
Hi,

(response to multiple questions)

The Remote Assistance feature disables after about 20 or 30 minutes and unfortunately I don't know of a way to prevent this. It may be possible when using a Firmware version which allows full access to UCI System. You can then export the configuration in plain text, see if you can find where in the settings the timeout is set, and then import the configuration again. To date, I've only managed to get the TG589vac (v1) with Firmware 15.4 to allow this. If you need to access a router remotely one option is to use Teamviewer and remote into a computer connected to the router.

I recommend against downgrading firmware as it can cause issues but other than this it should be fine. I can confirm that I have downgraded a TG589vac (v1) from 16.2 to to 15.4 successfully. Following flashing the firmware the router appeared to keep crashing with an orange power light. I then performed a 30-30-30 hard reset and the router sprang back into life with the older firmware.

I get a lot of emails about the Time Of Day functionality. On earlier firmware versions you can set this per connected device, however, later revisions removed this feature. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a development build of 17.2 (TG588v v2) and saw that a Time of Day feature was added again, however, it wasn't device specific but just disabled access in general at set times.

I hope this information helps.

Kindest regards,

Nick

Last edited:
Associate
Hi NickDJ,
Thank you for your detailed help. Don't fancy downgrading firmware for such a minor issue but I will email my ISP provider and suggest they look into it, could be easier for them.
Cheers

Associate
Just found this reply in my inbox from my query to my ISP

"The port number and password always change anytime the assistance protocol is switched off and on again. This is a security measure to prevent unauthorised access. Additionally each time the router is rebooted the assistance will revert back to disabled, again for your security.

Ideally this feature should only be used for remote troubleshooting and be turned off again immediatly afterwards. As such there is no way to prevent it from being disabled automatically I'm afraid.
Kind Regards,
Tristan
Sure Customer Support Team
For 24/7 help and support visit www.sure.com

Associate
I can confirm this answer is accurate. The assistance automatically switches off about every 20 minutes.

I must admit I haven't tried creating a port map to see if it works: e.g.

Source IP: (your WAN IP) Port: (12345 - Pick a non-default port) Destination: 192.168.1.1 Port: 80

I don't have access to a router currently to test this.

Nick

Associate
Just recieved my SSE router new version of firmware 17.2...
Product Vendor
Technicolor
Product Name
MediaAccess TG589vac v2
Software Version
Firmware Version
17.2.0278-0901009-20180108115410
Firmware OID
5a534dd270358846eed8c14c
Bootloader Version
Hardware Version
VANT-8

Associate
Anyone had success logging in via SSH? My box clearly has an ssh server running, but isn't happy with any credentials I offer it, including those for the web interface. Wondering if it is configured to only provide SSH access to a specific hard coded user. I've tried 'administrator' and 'engineer' using the access key as printed on the box itself, both to no avail. Trying to get IPv6 working...

Back
Top Bottom