Teggy DC5 hunting

Associate
Morning all,

One of my good mates is after a Teggy DC5 & i'm wondering what sort of things we should be keeping an eye out for when viewing, such as common faults & recall issues that should be resolved etc.

What about the difference between DC5's, I know of the C-pack, anything else?
We're looking more towards pre-UK-owned cars, so any recomendations towards owners club sites are also very wellcome!

Muchos thanks for any help Amigo's!
And Merlin if you've spotted this thread, you deserved a break from work this morning! ;)

Soldato
www.itr-dc5.co.uk

Register and ask away - very nice bunch of mature and educated guys (and girls).

There's only one problem - which affects 01 and maybe early 02 cars - bolts holding the steering rack in place incorrectly torqued. There's not been one single DC5 in the UK though that has had the problem. It affected around 200 cars - all of which appear to have been located and rectified.
There's a sticky in dc5.co.uk about it.

Things to look for: -

All the usual like accident damage, panels line up etc etc

Plus:-

1) Laquer blistered on Brembo's - heat related - probably seen some hard track day action - avoid. Check meat on discs - they're very pricey, pads are cheap though

2) Gearbox - make sure it goes through the box nicely - should feel very postive, may "catch" slightly into 2nd which is ok. May whine (especially in reverse) which is also ok

3) Check LSD engages (should torque steer immediately)

4) If you see a CEL at any point whilst driving - walk away, low oil lights up the CEL - very bad news. If the car is on the standard ECU and vtec doesn't engage at 6k - walk away.

5) Under even gentle acceleration car may pull to one side or another - this is normal - it's the LSD

6) Rattles - heatshield rattles common - easy fix

7) Drivers seat wear - always an issue - blue seats are a problem - you can't get the material - red or black is fine - you can buy it cheap & fix up for peanuts.

8) Service history - absolutely vital - interval between 10k and 12k, not a problem if not done by Honda so long as it was done by someone familiar with Honda's. Bonus if owner has done interim oil changes.

9) Steering may feel very heavy. This is normal - hydraulic steering.

10) Suspension knocking - normal, a feature of the OE springs - they touch each other because the wind on them is tight.

11) Car snakes under braking - normal - feature again of the OE springs

As for the C-Pack - mine doesn't have it but it's: -

Privacy glass (mine has this as a single option)
Parcel Shelf
Electric folding mirrors
Climate control on top of the aircon

Last thing - I'm sure everyone knows the score with them but dont under any circumstances buy a DC5 from Keighley Trade Centre.

Associate
OP
Many thanks for the time spent on that Merlin, absolutely spot on for what we're after.
Fingers crossed we shall be viewing one this weekend, I'll let you know the outcome. Might even squeeze in a back-to-back report against the Cup! :cool:

Keighley Trade Centre - noted.

How's yours running? Have you got a timeline for the next stage of mods & also any ideas on your next track date? It would be quite rude if I didn't attend! ;)

Soldato
Coco said:
How's yours running? Have you got a timeline for the next stage of mods & also any ideas on your next track date? It would be quite rude if I didn't attend! ;)

It's been a gem. Only had two problems - firstly, the bulb blew in the interior light which cost me £2.90 and secondly - I had a slight lumpy spot at around 2700rpm due to not having the valve clearances done.

It's finished for this year at least, everything is done. Suspension, geo, shaved some weight off here and there, new wheels, power and driveability mods done too & I think i've got it down to 98db noise. Will hit track again in August maybe.

Vs the Cup - similar up to 75mph then Integra will pull away.

Wish him the best of luck. If he's registered yet tell me his user name.

Associate
OP
Username = GeG

I was telling him about your flat-spot & how it also effects Eid's TypeR.
I'm glad yours was sorted, last I read Eid still suffers :( Any change?

As for the Cup difference, *pah* that's straight line stuff, the bendy bits where it's at! :)
I'll happily sneak to 60mph ahead of my mate's TypeR & tied by 100mph, so I can totally see the extra 20bhp the Teggy has pushing that bit extra at speed. Right, time to lose the rear-seats! ;)

Soldato
There's one just gone on ebay for a cheap price, situated in Bradford.

I repeat - BRADFORD. Need I say more?

If you're mate just won that auction - be carefull. Could be a bargain, could be hiding something :)

Soldato
Keighley aint that bad if you treat it like a private sale.

They sell cars cheap, but cheap for a reason.

Cars bought from auction, planted on the forecourt/warehouse.

Sale or no sale.

Associate
OP
merlin said:
There's one just gone on ebay for a cheap price, situated in Bradford.

I repeat - BRADFORD. Need I say more?

If you're mate just won that auction - be carefull. Could be a bargain, could be hiding something :)
I ruddy hope he hasn't!

There's something totally not kosher about buying a car on ebay to me. I'm sure there's plenty of genuine car auctions on the site, but for enthusiast cars, i'd rather stick to AutoT, PistonHeads, owners clubs etc...

Also, i'm quite suprised about the number of fairly heavily modded DC5's about. For such a rare car in the UK, any mod's made by personal taste surely push future owners away?

Last edited:
Soldato
Good man, Ebay scares me too. :(

Most owners strip the car back to standard before selling. You can get 65 - 75% of your money back on the bits plus people generally like to modify the car themselves.

Only modification frowned upon really is a short ram induction - AEM do one and it's totally crap, unless you like sucking in hot air off the gearbox.

Even if you pick up a standard one - there's a good chance it's had the bits on and they've been stripped. You'll never tell. No biggy really though - the engine is bullet proof.

mattpc - Agreed, if something looks to good to be true it normally is.

Axe - I know for a fact Keighley have sold some very dodgy ****. Not just Integras but all sorts of stuff. Over in Japan their representative makes a point of picking up the auction cars that the other UK dealers don't want. They bring them back and attempt to tidy them up, heard stories about no auction sheet (no surprise), and mileage not seeming right with interior wear etc. Just a rumour but some of their cars may come from Singapore rather than Japan. Guys in Singapore are not famed for looking after their cars too well.

Bear in mind you can't HPI an Import - you don't know if three months earlier in Japan it was 1 foot shorter or had a lowered roof.

Back
Top Bottom