Tell me about new driveways...

Sgarrista
Commissario
What sort of costs does an "average" driveway cost to have re done nowdays?

Is resin bound worth it over Tarmac/Bitmac?

Any recommendations of reliable companies in the West Midlands?

Went for a walk today to view some local driveways.

Saw some creteprint and, meh doesnt do it for me and also the ongoing costs. Also block drives, new ones looks great, old ones look tatty.

Will be going for a resin bound brick edged driveway similar to this:

Starlight-1100x619.jpg

The price including groundworks was very middle of the road, but this company has a great reputation locally so it will do!

Im paying around £80 sq meter including materials and groundworks including disposal, Had one quote at 100sqm and another which tried to chop in under at 70sqm but looking at that companies pictures on social media it seems they dont take the extra care to tidy up the job and spoke to a previous customer of the guy im using and he gave a glowing recommendation.

As a follow up to this, about 6 weeks ago I noticed parts of the driveway were starting to dip.

Then an edge started to lift and a crack appears to be forming down the middle of it.

After trying to get in touch with the original contractor who said hed come take a look and fix it if needed, hes spent 6 weeks avoiding me.

I contacted 2 other companies and on turning up they both said the exact same thing, due to the curvature on the drive they should have laid porous concrete to support the resin and foundations. This wasnt done, and essentially what is happening is the hardcore is being pushed out to the edges.

Unfortunately this means that I have had to send a final letter before action, and looks like I'll be getting another new drive :D

Cheating out on the drive this is what it gets you.

It was hardly cheap first time around.

The company will just fold and start up in a new name so good luck with that.

I paid the guys personal account as he was "trading as". He is personally liable for it, and I have already tracked down various assets he owns. He will be coughing up one way or another.

I take it that runs a lot more than the previous driveway cost too

Overall the costs are comparable, its just theres a chunk more for the ripping and disposing of the old foundations that the previous contractor said was strong and firm enough to work with.

Its been 11 weeks since I rang up and informed the original contractor of the issues. He hasnt replied to a text, email, whatapp, picked up the phone or responded to the final notice before action letter sent 2 weeks ago.

The paperwork with the court was issued this afternoon, and I have instructed oltco to re-do my drive.

Here is the quote they sent over for those interested.

2022-11-22 18_19_27-Quote QU-0375 from JX3 Group Ltd for Jonathan Coleman - jon@kindai.co.uk -...png

Shock horror, after receiving the court paperwork he now wants to talk about fixing it.

Too little too late for him, I gave him 11 weeks to talk to me including 2 being a final letter before action.

Back
Top Bottom