~$ temp files

Soldato
Hi all,

I understand the basic function of the ~$ file that is created while a document is open in office. Say you open My Document.doc, another (hidden) file will appear called ~$ Document.doc, which will delete one the original file is no longer in use.

Does anyone know the technicality behind it or have a link to an article to explain it in depth?

I have an awkward customer who thinks it's a problem with our PCs, despite us telling him it's perfectly normal for it to appear.

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Pretty much what I thought thanks. Must have been using the wrong phrases but after 30 mins of searching I couldn't find and documentation on it myself.

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Can't you just set the hidden files to be hidden from view, tell him you've fixed the malware and charge him £100 for the removal :p

That's what I was thinking but unfortunately it is not me who manages the GP from AD. I have emailed the team that do and basically told them to get it sorted. On my own PC I would happily go into the folder options and do it, but I aint going round and doing it to every single PC in the council.

Go back to PC World...:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thought we weren't allowed to mention the purple shirts by name. Isn't 'hidden' the default behavior anyway?

not sure, but I don't have access to AD to snoop about and check the GP settings.

regarding the purple shirts, it wasn't a comment to purposely name a competitor, it was in reference to his comment about ripping off a customer instead of being honest, which is exactly what Purple Chirts World do.

Back
Top Bottom