~$ temp files

Soldato
Hi all,

I understand the basic function of the ~$ file that is created while a document is open in office. Say you open My Document.doc, another (hidden) file will appear called ~$ Document.doc, which will delete one the original file is no longer in use.

Does anyone know the technicality behind it or have a link to an article to explain it in depth?

I have an awkward customer who thinks it's a problem with our PCs, despite us telling him it's perfectly normal for it to appear.

Thanks!

Associate
Used for recovery purposes, mainly, in case Word crashes in the middle of saving the document, instead of losing everything and being left with a file with 0 bytes in it, when you open Word up next time it realises the file is ****** and will look for the recovery one to fix the problem by reinstating it, so you should at worst have only lost the most recent edits.

Soldato
OP
Pretty much what I thought thanks. Must have been using the wrong phrases but after 30 mins of searching I couldn't find and documentation on it myself.

Thanks!

Soldato
OP
Can't you just set the hidden files to be hidden from view, tell him you've fixed the malware and charge him £100 for the removal :p

That's what I was thinking but unfortunately it is not me who manages the GP from AD. I have emailed the team that do and basically told them to get it sorted. On my own PC I would happily go into the folder options and do it, but I aint going round and doing it to every single PC in the council.

Go back to PC World...:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thought we weren't allowed to mention the purple shirts by name. Isn't 'hidden' the default behavior anyway?

not sure, but I don't have access to AD to snoop about and check the GP settings.

regarding the purple shirts, it wasn't a comment to purposely name a competitor, it was in reference to his comment about ripping off a customer instead of being honest, which is exactly what Purple Chirts World do.

Back
Top Bottom