temperature help needed

Associate
hi all my system is runnig too hot at stock speeds so any suggestions would come in handy my system is as follows
gigabyte 965p ds3
intel q6600 cpu
3 gb geil pc6400 ddr 2
650 watt modular psu
geforce 8800 gts 640 mb
maxtor 200 gig hd
samsung 400 gig hd
pioneer 112 dvdr
thermaltake xaser 3 tower with 7 fans ( oldest part of the pc )

my cpu tems accordidng to tat under load get upwards of 75c temp according to speed fan they are around 10c less idle or under load
ive been told by my m8 who builds pcs for a liveing says temps shouldnt get that high even with stock parts and he thinks a better cpu fan wouldnt sort the problem out now ive tried to get a graphics card temp reading tat dosent give me one speedfan has 2 temps which im not sure what they are says temp 1 50c whilst idling temp 2 34c whilst idling

one thing i remember b4 upgrading from my last pc was that i had a temperature problem then with a 2.8 ghz p4 with upgraded fan and the only thing i have left from that pc is the tower so could it be the tower somehow any help would be very much appreciated as i am getting red lines on my monitor when under load so somethings gonna give quite quickly if i dont get it sorted cheers

lol. Nice rig but you scrimped on the case! Quad cores do get quite hot, I would have thought a 3rd party cooler would deffinatly help your temps.

You said Speedfan detects two temps, 50c and 34c - I would have thought these were CPU and motherboard temp (northbridge probably), so it would appear your case isn't overly warm inside (mine is 31c idle with 2 120mm fans blowing in the front, and I dont have a very warm 8 series card in there).

What directions are your case fans blowing in? How many intakes and how many exausts? 2 intake at front, 2 exaust at back, 1 intake over graphics card? (am I wrong?). What about the others?

Post pics of the inside of your case & i will advice.
basically though you need to suck in air through the front have it directed over relevant components & exhaust it out the back. Any wires, cables IDE's in the way will effect airflow.

right i have tried a dual core e6300 in the temps have lowered but the graphics are still displaying red lines accross me screen so it must be the graphics the monitor or the bios forgot to mention i recently upgraded to the f12 bios about the same time i had problems

hmm tried the different cpu with a desktop fan blowing in the case which did lower system temerature but im still having display problems but it dosent do it at low res like 1280/1024 or lower it happens only when im in high res above 1280/1024 all the way up to 2560/1600 gonna try me g/card in a different pc now im at a loss if that dosent prove anything

There's not really any reason to think that the CPU would be causing the display problems - either the graphics card is dying or not getting enough power.
Those CPU temperatures, at least the higher ones you mentioned, might cause the PC to run slowly or to crash, but that doesn't sound like your problem. In any case even at 75 degrees I wouldn't really expect any problems - my parents' Shuttle has been running without any thermal paste between CPU and HSF (sister's admirable first attempt at a build), giving temps of about 85 degrees under load for the last 3 or 4 months without any major issues ...

yeah im coming to the conclusion its the g/card the only problem i have is its only 5 months old but i dont have the receipt anymore which is a bit of a bummer and the thought of coughing up another shed load of cash is a pain in the butt

why would you not keep the receipts? thats just stupid tbh. And you havn't achualy answered many of the questions the people at the start were asking you by trying to help you. You just went off on your own tangent and ignored them.

well the only real question i was asked is to post pics of the inside which i am currently unable to do and about fan configuration but as other people have said that 75 shouldnt be too big a problem i thought id better look down other roads
i do appreciate the comments of the users on this forum and take them into account but whilst waiting for people to make comments but might not be online for sometime it makes sense to try other avenues as im sure most people would do as opposed to solely relying on peoples comments to get them through so im sorry if i offended anyone by not replying to individial comments as other people had already ruled my initial thoughts out

why would you not keep the receipts? thats just stupid tbh. And you havn't achualy answered many of the questions the people at the start were asking you by trying to help you. You just went off on your own tangent and ignored them.
A tad harsh - this is one of the less moany threads in this place recently :D
yeah im coming to the conclusion its the g/card the only problem i have is its only 5 months old but i dont have the receipt anymore which is a bit of a bummer and the thought of coughing up another shed load of cash is a pain in the butt
I'd sell it on the auction site if I were you - most people run their monitors at 1280x1024 or lower, so if you label it as working at those resolutions (only if it honestly does run fine at those) then I'm sure you'll get something back.

well cheers for the replies but i now think its the motherboard as it will no longer see either of my hd drives or either of my dvdrom/writer drives so i think im safe to say its yet another ds3 for the bin well hope im safe anyways the pc will boot to dos but wont see any ide/sata drives whatsoever but will go into bios it seems a safe bet to say that 2 dvd drives and 2 hd drive wont fail at the same time even for my luck of late cheers for the help

Hang on a minute, do you need a receipt these days to send a GFX card back? If you check the website you bought it from and login to "your account" they probably have an online invoice of it - or did you buy it from a shop rather than a online store?

Also you said you was going to try the graphics card in another PC - have you done this yet?

well i bought it from overclockers in the shop cash they may be able to track down the invoice from the barcode on the box

i did try it in my spare pc but the psu is only 425w and wouldnt boot with an 8800 in i do have a spare 525w psu i will put that in later tonight and try again

sorry growlingfish missed your post er well i now have all the drives working again i swopped some of the power cables around and they now work weird how they worked b4 then suddenly stopped as for the power supply hmm well it seems to work cant say for sure if it or isnt im gonna try my g/card in the spare pc later to rule that out or hopefull a m8 can borrow me a g/card for and hour to test that way hopefully

nalla said:
sorry growlingfish missed your post er well i now have all the drives working again i swopped some of the power cables around and they now work weird how they worked b4 then suddenly stopped
Well it looks like you are having some issues with the PSU then. Even if it was able to power the whole PC at some point it doesn't mean that it'll be able to forever, especially if it isn't a good quality one. It may be that its efficiency is finally falling so that it can no longer power the PC properly, hence the problems with the gfx and the drives.

Back
Top Bottom