Tempest GP27U - 27" 4k 160hz MiniLED HDR1000 (576 local dimming zones) - £800~

Soldato
Just had a look in the monitor box and found this

YLRpnhH.jpeg

:D

Last edited:
Associate
It looks like you only get 160Hz with compression in displayport mode. I just checked mine and I can't get it to go over 144Hz on HDMI even if I drop down to 8-bit colour, so maybe it's a port limitation? Might just be my old eyes, but I don't really notice much difference between 144Hz and 160Hz (not nearly as big a jump from 120Hz).

Associate
Received mine from OC on Sunday. Very impressed, although there are definite bugs with the KVM switching but I can deal with those.

When using for office use, web browsing etc (local dimming off) I do notice some 'yellowing' on the right side of a white webpages. 'Grey uniformity' is the technical term.

Anybody elses doing this? It does bug me but I wonder if they're all slightly out. It's not noticeable in game.

gp27u-grey-uniformity-v0-ff7ks7mcj9tc1.webp

* Edit *

Some other complaints on this issue from the internet:

"When my unit displays White in the full-screen mode, I notice that the left half of my unit shows abnormally yellow while the right half is normally white."

"... suffers from uneven white-point distribution over its screen area. It’s more greenish to the left and more purplish to the right. It’s subtle, but especially unpleasant (and noticeable) with brighter backgrounds (like white websites)."

Last edited:
Associate
Received mine from OC on Sunday. Very impressed, although there are definite bugs with the KVM switching but I can deal with those.

When using for office use, web browsing etc (local dimming off) I do notice some 'yellowing' on the right side of a white webpages. 'Grey uniformity' is the technical term.

Anybody elses doing this? It does bug me but I wonder if they're all slightly out. It's not noticeable in game.

gp27u-grey-uniformity-v0-ff7ks7mcj9tc1.webp

* Edit *

Some other complaints on this issue from the internet:

"When my unit displays White in the full-screen mode, I notice that the left half of my unit shows abnormally yellow while the right half is normally white."

"... suffers from uneven white-point distribution over its screen area. It’s more greenish to the left and more purplish to the right. It’s subtle, but especially unpleasant (and noticeable) with brighter backgrounds (like white websites)."

I'd start by resetting the monitor and setting it up in user colour mode with with argb colour on and local dimming off. In Windows, enable 10-bit colour and turn HDR off. Try HDMI 2.1 rather than DP to eliminate compression.

Uniformity is good on mine, so you might want to see if you can exchange it if you're still noticing the issues. I'm only seeing the usual IPS issues with mine.

Soldato
I'd agree with everything above. Mine (to my eyes) has near prefect unformity, much better than any previous screens, be it dark or white backgrounds. If mine was showing that sort of yellowing it would have gone straight back to the retailer.

After connecting up the hdmi cable last night, and ditching the DP connection, I turned on 10 bit colour, and everything just jumps out at me :D
HDR in windows still looks a mess, so that will be used on a game by game basis.

I've also been playing with the new Nvidia Control panel, with it's AI HDR.... I really like how you can tune the visuals and override the games settings, especially if they're not too your liking.. Some games can look too washy or muddy at stock, so it's nice to have another option.

Associate
Thanks, I'll play around with the settings tonight @adrichardson81.

@FlyingFish That's promising to hear not all units suffer from this! There's a lot of negativity about this monitor on Reddit etc but the feature set is incredible. Interesting about AI HDR, although I found when I turned on HDR on Windows, everything immediately looked washed out, I haven't had the time yet to figure out why.

Soldato
Thanks, I'll play around with the settings tonight @adrichardson81.

@FlyingFish That's promising to hear not all units suffer from this! There's a lot of negativity about this monitor on Reddit etc but the feature set is incredible. Interesting about AI HDR, although I found when I turned on HDR on Windows, everything immediately looked washed out, I haven't had the time yet to figure out why.

I've just taken a couple of pictures of my GP27U, its not something I've tested properly before, but these two shots are one of a white background in a well lit room and then a dark background with the room light turned down low.

I did adjust the mobile phones exposure to try and match what it looks like in real life by the naked eye. Not perfect, but gives you the idea.

waQUkvs.jpeg

sd7bPO7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom