• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Temporary 1440p GPU

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm speccing a new build and a bit stumped with what to do for the GPU

It's a 1440P AMD build and I don't really want to buy Vega 56 when Navi isn't too far off

My question is if an RX 590 will be ok for 1440p to tide me over until something is released to replace Vega 56? Anyone have any hands on experience?

I used to have a Fury Nitro but so I will be constantly comparing the experience to that and don't really want it to much worse although I appreciate it probably won't be any better and will probably be a bit worse in terms of FPS?

Thanks

Soldato
The 590 would handle 1440p no problem, but obviously it wouldn't be with all the bells and whistles.

Rather than 60fps at Ultra settings in games at 1440p with cards like Vega56/64, you must have the realistic expectation of 45-60fps at high or mid-high graphic settings with the 590 at 1440p.

I have used 290x (a slower card than 590 by quite a bit) at 3440x1440 res in the pass, and it managed 45-60fps at medium settings. Having a Freesync monitor also helped.

Soldato
OP
The 590 would handle 1440p no problem, but obviously it wouldn't be with all the bells and whistles.

Rather than 60fps at Ultra settings in games at 1440p with cards like Vega56/64, you must have the realistic expectation of 45-60fps at high or mid-high graphic settings with the 590 at 1440p.

I have used 290x (a slower card than 590 by quite a bit) at 3440x1440 res in the pass, and it managed 45-60fps at medium settings. Having a Freesync monitor also helped.

Ok great thanks, I'll double check the price of the vega 56 when I buy just to make sure they haven't dropped closer to £300 if not I'll just go for the 590 and sell the free games then see what Navi brings. I can deal with around 50 foster if it's temporary

Caporegime
580/590 or even a 570 with a few more settings turned down. It's only a temporary measure after all. That's probably what I'd do anyway.

Soldato
OP

Can't buy yet, waiting for carpet to be fitted as soon as it's done I'll start buying if I bought now I have now way of testing it

580/590 or even a 570 with a few more settings turned down. It's only a temporary measure after all. That's probably what I'd do anyway.

580 could be tempting due to the price at the moment

Maybe a used 980ti or a fury ?

Don't want a Nvidia card and I used to have a Fury, they are too big for the build I'm planning

Soldato
OP
Why not Nvidia ? If the power/price is right there's no reason not to?

Much prefer AMD, I prefer AMD drivers and freesync is much cheaper in terms of budget for the monitor

I know Nvidia have finally decided to to support freesync with some monitors but in all honesty I don't like Nvidia as a company and don't want to buy from them

Soldato
If you're looking for something temporary until Navi is released, then why not settle for 1080p? An RX 580 would be ideal. I must be missing something because I've got no desire to go higher than 1080p myself for at least another 5 years. I dont get the attraction with ultra high res

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you're looking for something temporary until Navi is released, then why not settle for 1080p? An RX 580 would be ideal. I must be missing something because I've got no desire to go higher than 1080p myself for at least another 5 years. I dont get the attraction with ultra high res

You see now I wish you hadnt posted this because I have been going round and around speccing and respeccing the PC for 1080P and 1440P over and over again and I'm really wondering i I need to bother with 1440P, its more expensive in terms of the GPU, Monitor, PSU and I'll need a larger case to put it in

1080P is cheaper, higher frame rates, can use a smaller case and I've been diagnosed with a disease in my right eye which affects my vision a bit so it might not even be worth going any higher than 1080P

I think the main reasons I keep going round in circles is because my last build was 1440P and I might miss it although I wont get as much time on the next build and I havent had a gaming PC for coming up to a year and the thought of the yet to be released consoles performing much better than a PC that I've spent over a grand on kind of irritates me

I'm still on the fence with it at the moment

Caporegime
Personally, I'd rather have a higher resolution with a few settings lowered, if necessary. Go with what is the most important feature to you.

Back
Top Bottom