Temporary bare dirt covering?

Associate
I've got some areas that are a mix of grass, wild grass and various weeds and plants that i would like to use at some point, but dislike the upkeep on them. I'd like to use my garden time to make progress rather than keep spending time on upkeep in areas that i'm not using but may use at some point.

The areas are in different areas and approx sizes:
4x3m
5x2m
5x4m

Grassing them isn't a solution i feel as it's just more upkeep, bindweed, moss, etc. I have succeeded in getting most of the brambles and bindweed under control, except in mentioned areas. For reference it's excouncil style garden.

Is decent weed matting with bark on top the best route? Appearance isn't really an issue.

Ground control (not weed control, thats pathetic) although the terms are semi used interchageably
It needs to look like this :

Cover it all over and overlap the joins.
You can cover in bark chippings if you want something a little more attractive

Edit, just a note on bindweed. It takes years to kill fully and it will travel under this fabric.
It will come up around the edges where you can kill it with strong glycophosphate.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Alternatively old carpet will do and a lot cheaper

Nice idea, i had hoped there was probably something cheap or free that would suit short term that i hadn't thought of.

Edit, just a note on bindweed. It takes years to kill fully and it will travel under this fabric.
It will come up around the edges where you can kill it with strong glycophosphate.

I've grown some bits up a stake previously, then nuked them into the abyss with it :D
At some point i'm going to lure the neighbours lot onto my side more, then more concentrated nuking will occur.

Nice idea, i had hoped there was probably something cheap or free that would suit short term that i hadn't thought of.

I've grown some bits up a stake previously, then nuked them into the abyss with it :D
At some point i'm going to lure the neighbours lot onto my side more, then more concentrated nuking will occur.

Just a warning about old carpet, many allotments ban it as it seems a great idea, but it can make a hell of a mess as it starts to break down.

Back
Top Bottom