Tempted To Get A Synology

Associate
Morning y'all,

Not sure if this is the right forum area but anyway here is my situation.

I am tempted to buy a synology after my old laptop which was a download server died on me last week. I was just wondering if anyone has one here.

I'm mainly interested in the backup functionality (both to an external drive and on-board one), compression and how easy it is to add new hard drives and not have to restart. Lastly can I isntall Chrome or a decent browser to use for HTTP downloads?

Thanks for your help guys!

Soldato
I doubt that you'll be able to install Chrome or anything like it, the point of devices like the Synology NASes are that they are server devices not general purpose systems. They have a Download manager tool which allows for downloading of tasks via bittorrent or HTTP (etc) in a batch mode, i.e. set it going and forget about it. There is information on this on their website.

Personally I'm using QNAP devices over Synology ones ... just because that's what I've ended up with rather than due to having any issue with the Synology devices (they're both the same sort of thing).

If you want a more general purpose system which you can customise more then go for something like the Microserver that is talked about in the thread linked earlier.

Associate
OP
One of the selling points to me is the ability to add more storage and have it rebuild the RAID without having to reformat. At least a colleague of mine says it can do that. I'm not update to date on these things.

I'm not a fan of torrents at all, I know NewsGroups work on it but I'd have thought a simple no frills browser would be available. Mainly for file sharing sites if needed.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, as always more information is appreciated.

My colleague is going to attempt to download via a free file sharing site but doesn't think it will be possible given that you generally have a timer and capta etc.

I guess this will be what inspires me to go forward and use newgroups again.

Associate
sabnzbd with sickbeard and couchpotato works very well with synology. look them up if you dont know them.

I did upgrade to a faster processor though handle it all with the other stuff I use it for.

Back
Top Bottom