Terminal server licensing questions

Soldato
Hi there,

I totally overlooked this sub-forum and posted in networks instead.

I wonder if anyone can help with my issue here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21596466&posted=1#post21596466

my OP as quoted:

----

Let me preface this by saying i know nothing about how ts licensing works.

I'm being asked to install a new Dell SBS 2008 server as a TS server.

Currently the company is using 2003 server as their TS server

The owner has been told by Dell that he does not need to buy new 2008 TS licenses because the ones on the 2003 server can be used.

I know that you can point the new server to a license server - i have been told by Dell that in order for the sbs 2008 server to register and validate the old 2003 licenses the old server must be demoted to secondary domain controller and added to the sbs 2008 domain.

Q1. because there are ony 10 users I'd like to create new users and security groups on the new sbs 2008 server, move over the old data and get the users switching over to the new server during the 120 day ts grace period - then, whilst everyone is carrying on as normal, demote the old 2003 server and have it join the domain THEN have sbs 2008 use the 2003 server as license server. to me this seems the smoothest option

Is this possible or will i have a licensing problem because i have not used the old user accounts data from the 2003 server since it will still be a secondary domain controller.

Q2. any general logic issues with the above - i have not done this before and need a hand really

-----

Would really appreciat some advice here :)

Associate
2003 TS cals cannot be used on 2008 Terminal servers. You don't need a dedicated licensing server, you can just activate the licenses in terminal services management.
Dell are talking to you out of a south facing orifice.

Terminal server licensing works in two ways. Per User or per Machine. In per user mode, you need one CAL for every User that will access the Terminal Server. In per machine mode the license is tied to the PC they use not the user account. Which you use depends on the way your users access Terminal Services, the licenses are the same you'll be asked to select which licensing method you wish to use when you activate the license key.

Not to say license servers shouldn't be used, but they arn't necessary, and for such a small setup probably more hassle than it's worth.

The general implementation plan sounds fine though. Set it all up under the 120 day trial. Get it working, then check your license usage before buying them so you are sure to get enough and choose the right method.

Soldato
OP
2003 TS cals cannot be used on 2008 Terminal servers. You don't need a dedicated licensing server, you can just activate the licenses in terminal services management.
Dell are talking to you out of a south facing orifice.

Terminal server licensing works in two ways. Per User or per Machine. In per user mode, you need one CAL for every User that will access the Terminal Server. In per machine mode the license is tied to the PC they use not the user account. Which you use depends on the way your users access Terminal Services, the licenses are the same you'll be asked to select which licensing method you wish to use when you activate the license key.

Not to say license servers shouldn't be used, but they arn't necessary, and for such a small setup probably more hassle than it's worth.

The general implementation plan sounds fine though. Set it all up under the 120 day trial. Get it working, then check your license usage before buying them so you are sure to get enough and choose the right method.

Ok - well that's that then.

fwiw this very point lead to many arguments about what could and couldn't be done without the client buying new ts licenses for sbs 2008.

He will not buy new ts licenses that's for sure so all he's going to get is continued use of the current 2003 machine for ts server and i will move over his data and setup exchange on the sbs 2008 server.

thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Associate
Ok - well that's that then.

fwiw this very point lead to many arguments about what could and couldn't be done without the client buying new ts licenses for sbs 2008.

He will not buy new ts licenses that's for sure so all he's going to get is continued use of the current 2003 machine for ts server and i will move over his data and setup exchange on the sbs 2008 server.

thanks for your help - much appreciated.

You can't use SBS 2008 as a terminal server anyway, has to be on a separate server.

Soldato
OP
You can't use SBS 2008 as a terminal server anyway, has to be on a separate server.

well im no expert on ts but it's currently setup with the ts role installed.I have created multiple users and they can log in. as said in my other thread you need to allow standard users to use it and it's not necessarily advisable but it seems you can do it.

Soldato
OP
Installing the Terminal Server service on SBS 2008 Standard or Server #1 in SBS 2008 Premium is not supported and will not work, even though it appears to install it is not designed to work on the SBS 2008 standard server (or Server #1 in SBS 2008 Premium). This server will only allow 2 administrative connections using remote desktop for administration, no matter how the Terminal Server service or RDP listener are configured.

have highlighted the pertinent info on that page to show why i was confused. I can't be bothered to check this out any further as it's obviously not going to happen anyway

thanks

Back
Top Bottom