• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Terrible image on TV

Soldato
whatever. I'm not about to aruge with you over the merits of running 1024x768 on a crt. I know what looks the best, and that's why i run it.

Now tell me im wrong. No sorry, PROVE that im wrong. prove that 1024x768 looks worse than 640x480. If you cant do that, you'd better zip it;)

Permabanned
Your display is not capable of 1024 x 768. So it has to scale down.
Try and read text at 1024 x 768- it's too blurry, wheras it is readable at 640x480, and it's clear. Therefore the lower rez has more detail. Some laptops lock the maximum resolution on the S-Video port, so any higher is just software scaling.

Go to avforums and be set straight.

Soldato
yes thanks im a member there. i know very well thank you. like i said before, show me some proof, or zip it.

and before you go off on another rant, remember i'm talking dvd's and gaming here, not a desktop where NOTHING is suitable on a crt.

Permabanned
I use my eyes, and not just the pseudo high resolution and therefore it must be "better" If you truly believe your laptop is sending 1024 x 768 at the S-video ports I'll just leave you be.

Associate
You two are making me and a mate laugh :D
What bothers me is that because of the newr drivers I'm using with my X1800XL I can't get as good a picture as I did with my old 9600pro :( Just can't seem to tweak it as well as the old card.
James can you tell me a little about the software you are using?

I know my games look better at 1024x768 over lower settings and my eyes are not deceiving me.

Soldato
lol:) sure. MPC is media player classic. its a fantastic piece of software that can play damn near everything including real and quicktime, nd with the ffswhow codec it does everything else as well.

Ffdshow handles divx/xvid, avi, mpeg, dvd's ect. It can also scale video (very useful for any display your using) as well as apply various different fliters such as advanced noise reduction, deinterlacing, sharpen ect.

ffdshow is the daddy of codecs. It's not easy to setup, but the worth it. The worst thing about my crt (which isnt brilliant either) is how bad it makes my 19" tft look when watching dvd's. the crt totally outclasses it with black levels.

Soldato
1024x768 may well look better but that's down to how the particular graphics-card/driver scales 1024x768 to what ever low resolution format the TV is running at. The TV is not "running" 1024x768 since it's impossible to feed that resolution over composite or s-video. So..? Yeah.

Soldato
james.miller said:
PAL has a maximum display of 720x576, whatever input you are using. That's not the argument here. Feeding a crt with a 1024c768 signal is fine, beucase wether the tv itself is stuck at a res (which is not 800x600 or 640x480 btw) or not, the image produced is far better.

one thing i'm not sure on is wether tv set's actually stick to pal or if they are actually capable of a higher vertical res. i *think* they are capable. I'm trying to dig that up now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I read that the first time, thanks. Just pointing out that you're not feeding the CRT 1024x768 because the downsampling is done automatically by the computer before anything goes down the svhs/composite cable.

Permabanned
wush said:
1024x768 may well look better but that's down to how the particular graphics-card/driver scales 1024x768 to what ever low resolution format the TV is running at. The TV is not "running" 1024x768 since it's impossible to feed that resolution over composite or s-video. So..? Yeah.

bang on...James can't understand that.

Soldato
are you even reading my posts? are are you selectively ignoring them?:rolleyes: here it is...once more, with bold this time:

Feeding a crt with a 1024c768 signal is fine, because wether the tv itself is stuck at a res (which is not 800x600 or 640x480 btw) or not, the image produced is far better.

wush said:
I read that the first time, thanks. Just pointing out that you're not feeding the CRT 1024x768 because the downsampling is done automatically by the computer before anything goes down the svhs/composite cable.

yes and that post tells you i already know that :confused: sod what happens inbetween, its the end result that matters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom