Tesco Mobile Repairs

Associate
More to get this off my chest and see if anybody else has had this issue before.

A few months ago my Xperia Z5 developed a fault where the WiFi was constantly dropping out, this would happen anywhere that didn't have 5 GHz WiFi. Contact Tesco Mobile who eventually got a prepaid jiffy bag sent to me for me to send it to repair shop. This was after countless phone calls chasing them for it as they only had my street on my address but no door number. Phone got repair and sent back. When I checked phone over everything was working as it should and problem was fixed. Only niggle was that when the reassemble the phone after repair the power button was a little loose, not too much of a problem as only aesthetic and phone worked.

Follow up to a few of weeks ago and problem seemed to start again though not as bad as first time, but second problem had started in that I could be in centre of Cardiff where I work and have no mobile signal at all even though colleagues that were on Tesco/O2 had full 4G signal, this also start happening at home even though my wife would have full 4G signal. Contacted Tesco again who confirmed still well within warranty and sent another jiffy bag to send it to repair shop. Sent the phone via the prepaid jiffy bag on 9th June. They then call me on 20th June (Didn't mind how long it took to contact me as I was on holiday anyway) to tell me that I would need to pay in the region of £45 to have the phone repaired as the engineers had found that the back of the casing was cracked. Told them that there was no damage to the phone when I sent it back apart from the issues which I had reported to them. They kept insisting that I HAD to pay this as they didn't know if the cracked case was causing the issue. Told them bluntly that I wasn't paying a penny for the repair as phone was in good condition when I sent it meaning that it was either damaged in transit or in their workshop. Person I was speaking to eventually offered to refund me 1 months line rental (£11.50) bringing down repair cost to around £33. Told that this wasn't good enough as I was not paying for a repair that should be covered under warranty and that there was no damage when I sent phone. Agent then raised this to "concerns" team and arranged for the "concerns" team to contact me today between 9 and 12 as this would be the only day I would be able to take any calls due to work.

Team contacted me on Monday at 12.01pm and left a voicemail asking me to call them back, they then called again yesterday at 8:55am again asking me to call them. Was able to call them yesterday lunchtime as I needed to leave work early to pick son up from nursery as he had been taken ill. Was told by agent I spoke to that repair would be done free of charge (Hallelujah!) and repair would take around 24 hours and would get phone back in 3-5 working days.

Get another call today to inform me that they have had to order a part in which could take around 5 working days to arrive, but they have also confirmed that looking at the crack it is a very fresh crack as there is no dirt in it whatsoever so they can see that it has likely happened in transit.

Now if this part has only just been ordered today I am potentially looking at another 2 weeks without the phone and when I asked if the case would be repaired as well they informed that no it wouldn't as it isn't on the job sheet! So basically either them or Royal Mail have damaged my phone I will have been without the phone for potentially around a month and on top of that phone won't be getting sent back in the same condition it was sent to them in.

Asked if they could just do an exchange which they declined as the issue is repairable. Also asked about any goodwill gestures for the inconvenience and lack of being able to use my phone due to not have a spare that I can use. Again they refused as I had already previously declined the refund of 1 months line rental.

Obviously will be looking at escalating this further with them but has anyone else had similar problems with Tesco Mobile?

Soldato
How did you send the phone? how much bubblewrap? Did you take pictures before you sent it? I doubt escalation will go anywhere without some photos or something tbh, it's a he-said-she-said affair unfortunately :(

Soldato
How did you send the phone? how much bubblewrap? Did you take pictures before you sent it? I doubt escalation will go anywhere without some photos or something tbh, it's a he-said-she-said affair unfortunately :(

I take it you didn't read the OP?

I would keep pestering them, even ask to speak to a manager. That's pretty poor service if you ask me.

Associate
OP

Sent it in the packaging they gave me for it. They have already accepted that the phone wasn't damaged when i sent therefore I feel that they should also be reapiring that damage as well which they were refusing to do. Have spoken to them again and they have now accepted that it is not acceptable to send me a phone that has damage to casing when I sent an undamaged phone and will be sending a replacement if they are not able to replace the back of the casing.

Back
Top Bottom