Tescos and sainsburys pay at pump preauthorisation change

Soldato
Further, and a lot more harsh is that if you are running that close to the bread line constantly, do you have any business running a vehicle?

You're right, that is harsh.

If people need to get to a job during times when public transport is not running or, if using public transport works out more expensive than running a car, what's your suggestion?

Soldato
Surely this breaks some sort of data protection?, What makes it okay for fuel/supermarkets to know how much you personally have in your bank?

How do you figure the supermarket knows how much you have in your bank from this pay at pump change. Your bank either authorises up to £100 or it authorises whatever you have below £100 or it says no.

Soldato
Just something else they have to over complicate in the UK,I don't drive but if i did id be avoiding using those who have this system in place.

Lol what sensitive data is being breached? The banks automated system telling an automated machine that they they're good to bill upto £100.

This isn't anything new, they've been pre-authing £1 on cards for absolutely donkey years.

How do you think people purchased things on planes with their cards?

Surely this breaks some sort of data protection?, What makes it okay for fuel/supermarkets to know how much you personally have in your bank?

Soldato
You're right, that is harsh.

If people need to get to a job during times when public transport is not running or, if using public transport works out more expensive than running a car, what's your suggestion?

Im not sure I have a suggestion, it was more just me thinking out loud. I’m fortunate enough to not be in this position and hope I never will be, I just struggle with the concept that x person can run a car but not afford to run a car, if you see what I mean?

Soldato
Further, and a lot more harsh is that if you are running that close to the bread line constantly, do you have any business running a vehicle?

Agreed, all those courier drivers using their own vehicles get paid a fortune, how could they ever struggle for money.

Back when I was a field technician (many years ago!!) I wasn't on a massive wage and this would have potentially caused me some issues while waiting for fuel expenses to be paid. I guess your suggestion would have been to get rid of the car and walk the sometimes 3-400 mile round trip to a job with 50kg of printer & computer parts in a backpack? :rolleyes:

Soldato
I noticed that Costco ringfenced £99 when I decided to swing by to fill up and take advantage of their low price on premium fuel, seeing as I never buy anything in the actual store. £10 in I noticed their premium fuel is 97RON, only 2RONS better than standard 95RON! Looks like that membership was a waste of money.

Associate
About 10 years ago I used to work for Barclays in their fraud investigations department.

Back then gangs would use the £1 auth limit to steal fuel and con kids. They'd offer young teenagers a small amount of cash to get "£1" of fuel, potentially doing this at several garages in quick succession.

The kids would think they'd made £30 and a bit of respect from a gang/older kid, only to be hundreds of pounds overdrawn on an account with no organised overdraft a few days later.

We also had issues with lower income people not checking their available balance and assuming they must have had the cash for the fuel because the payment was accepted. Same deal, unauthorised overdraft and ridiculous bank charges a few days later.

I appreciate that this is old info, but it highlights that the situation may not be as clear cut as: £100 pre auth = definitely bad for low income people.

Soldato
Agreed, all those courier drivers using their own vehicles get paid a fortune, how could they ever struggle for money.

Back when I was a field technician (many years ago!!) I wasn't on a massive wage and this would have potentially caused me some issues while waiting for fuel expenses to be paid. I guess your suggestion would have been to get rid of the car and walk the sometimes 3-400 mile round trip to a job with 50kg of printer & computer parts in a backpack? :rolleyes:

Do you understand the term “devils advocate” ?

Go look it up and stop getting your knickers in a twist.

Soldato
If the pre auth was released instantly after finishing fuelling then this would be an non issue.
However experience says otherwise and it can often take the better part of a week for pay at pump stuff to properly show up in my account.

Being £99 down for a few days after only actually buying £20 of fuel can easily be problematic for people.

Man of Honour
I filled up at Costco yesterday it pre authed £99 I filled up with £45 it updated instantly with monzo. It's not an issue especially if it's smart enough to pre auth up to what's available.

Soldato
Complete non issue for credit card users but it is just something for debit card users to keep in mind and pay at kiosk if they think it will be an issue.

I've been paying a £99 pre-authorisation for ages but I think that may just have been an AMEX thing.

Soldato
I think it was fine as is and this will just end up annoying people, particularly the young and poorer people or students and the likes. Or really anyone that just so happens to be having a low balance at the time. There are absolutely loads of people that live pay cheque to pay cheque and their balance goes down to £0 or into overdraft each month just before they get paid. This will inconvenience motor cyclists in particular as pay at pump is much easier than going in with all your gear on and often being asked to remove your helmet etc.

The issue really is, if you have £60 in your account and want to put in £20 (which is maxing out the tank on some bikes) or even £50 in some small cars say, then now people are going to have to go inside to pay. It's annoying for them and they are basically being treated differently due to the amount of money they have at the time. I think it's wrong.

Soldato
Obviously this is true from a consumer perspective but as this isn't the reason for the change I don't see how it's particularly relevant.

Fair. But the actual reasons have been given as "due to new rules set out by Visa and Mastercard". So perhaps the question should be why were these rules changed? I've not seen a link to why this was done yet, maybe I missed it.

Soldato
I think there's an obvious payment guarantee reason to change the pre-authorisation from £1 to £100 but maybe there's something else.

Back
Top Bottom