Tesla model Y - Just unveiled to the world

Soldato
[
Maybe a mustache:
I had expected to see a picture of the reputedly moustache derived bmw grille
]

there must be some aerodynamic advantages from the vortex's created off of the apparent concave cavity, need an aerodynamics expert

[
I wouldn't want to get hit by my gt86 crumple zones or not.
does this satisfy latest standards ... could they design it now
]

Soldato
Anything thinking it will be sub £40k :D

Feel free to look at current Tesla pricing in the UK vs. US. If you multiply the US price by 0.9 and switch the $ to £ - that's a good estimation for the final UK price (includes VAT, duties, PICG discount etc.) So it stands to reason that a $39,000 Tesla will cost less than £40,000. Some good price comparisons in the UK vs. US here and some discussions around that.

There's no reason to think such a conversion factor wouldn't apply to the Model Y. There would need to be a significant relative change in Tesla's pricing strategy for a $39,000 Tesla to cost more than that in GBP (£39,000). But as I said, depends on the PICG and exchange rates.

Last edited:
Soldato
EVs are pretty much useless when a.) you live in a terraced house and b.) there are no charge points nearby. So no, I won't be making the switch from petrol anytime soon - if ever.

Soldato
And if you do live in a terrace house without a driveway. The health and safety police will come and tell you that your not allowed to trail a cable across the pavement to the car.

As most houses in the UK DON'T have a driveway, it's never going to work unless councils are going to install points along every single street. At least one for every house.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anything thinking it will be sub £40k :D

Those prices don’t seem unreasonable considering they include the £3500 incentive. Convert them to euros and they’re not far of the German price for example. The difference could be down to the difference in exchange rate when the S was last modified in price.

The more I look at the design the more it’s growing on me. Ignore the marketing of it as an “SUV” and consider it as a fastback/hatch and it makes more sense. As others have said, what the Model 3 should have been, not competition to EV crossovers.

Soldato
As most houses in the UK DON'T have a driveway.

Odd. A recent PWC survey (link) came to the opposite conclusion; that the majority (72%) of UK households have off-street parking. This also lines up with figures from the English Housing Survey 2010 (link).

Still, 7 million households without off-street parking is quite significant. Fortunately, from a technical standpoint, it's not exactly a difficult problem to solve. The electricity is there already. All that is needed is a cost-effective and safe means of access, and an accurate way to bill customers. There's no shortage of candidates being trialed in the UK and abroad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why do Tesla designs looks like a Vauxhall from the 90s?

I can't explain it but to me they have the same design language as a Vectra and would be part of the larger family of the same era.

Soldato
Odd. A recent PWC survey (link) came to the opposite conclusion; that the majority (72%) of UK households have off-street parking. This also lines up with figures from the English Housing Survey 2010 (link).

Still, 7 million households without off-street parking is quite significant. Fortunately, from a technical standpoint, it's not exactly a difficult problem to solve. The electricity is there already. All that is needed is a cost-effective and safe means of access, and an accurate way to bill customers. There's no shortage of candidates being trialed in the UK and abroad.

Makes sense, the survey points out they targeted vehicle owners not the general population. So there will be more ‘homes’ without off street parking but it’s likely most of those will be in the middle of big cities like London and don’t actually have on street parking either. Thus no car ownership.

Let’s not forget that you will not need a charge post for very car/house because not every house will have a car and not every car owner will need to charge every day. Also a charge post can easily do 2 cars when placed between 2 spaces.

The biggest problem I think will actually be vandalism and poor etiquette from the people using them.

Back
Top Bottom