Tesla Model Y

Associate
Just thought I’d open a new thread given the Model Y has now been released over here in the UK with the first deliveries due early 2022.

Anyone placed an order?

Associate
OP
Rented a Model Y this year as a test drive, thought it was very competent but prices have come up quite a bit in the past year (with the rest of the car industry). Easily got 300 miles into a full charge which was good for us as we often do ~200 mile round trips and plenty of storage. It feels a lot bigger than expected as there is room everywhere to store things, plenty of leg room in the back too. We're looking to get one but prices and inventory are bad at the moment, I think ordering here in California gives delivery time around June next year at the moment!

There’s a huge factory opening soon in Germany so that should improve on the lead times for most of Europe.

Looking forward to seeing them on the roads in the UK.

Associate
OP
I’ve ordered a white with standard spec. I do like the black 20”s but the reports of then harsh ride are off putting so stayed with the standard 19”s.

Associate
OP
Some very nice improvements have been discovered in the MYP for the Chinese market:
  1. AMD graphics SoC card replacing Intel Atom for infotainment

2. 16V lithium-ion auxiliary battery replaces 12V lead acid battery

3. Double laminated glass on the rear windows as well as the front windows
https://insideevs.com/news/550716/china-tesla-modely-performance-tech/

Welcomed changes, the UI responsiveness use AMD looks very impressive. Let’s hope these updates trickle down to the Mosel Y being shipped to the UK early next year.

Associate
OP
"No one is going to be worse off"

"it screwed me"

:p

I can see upsides to it but I don't think the 'legacy' behaviour of defining things more rigidly is without merit - you know when updates are coming, you can understand your risks around MY changes and when to anticipate change that may impact your spec or value.

In the case of the post above, I don't know how comfortable i'd be in the situation of not knowing which battery i'll be getting and whether I might end up with the 'inferior' spec that's subsequently worth less when it's superseded within a couple of months. Admittedly not so much a worry for lease/PCPers etc. You also don't get the flexibility at purchase to negotiate with a dealer to get a better deal on a lower grade outgoing spec, so no opportunity to work it to your advantage as with a legacy manufacturer, making it somewhat less of an issue.

What sort of differences are we taking about in terms of the 4000 series batteries vis today?

A lot of Model 3 owners have taken advantage of the high re-sale values, sold their current models and purchased inventory stock and even made a few £ in some instances. Potentially, we could do the same with the Model Y depending on the type of purchase contract (Lease/PCP).

Associate
OP
Just received the following text:

Tesla Update: Next steps for your Model Y order. Customers can now sign in to Tesla Account and complete pre-delivery tasks. First Model Y deliveries begin in February 2022.

Back
Top Bottom