Test ride tomorrow

Associate
Getting a bit long in the tooth for sportsbikes now so going to have a bash on one of these tomorrow. Yep its a marmite look but I like it and its better in the flesh, been getting some excellent reviews in the press. Could be my next bike :D Basically its a slightly detuned 1198.

2010ducatimultistrada12.jpg

2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Engine type: 1198 V2
Power: 150.00 BHP
Clutch: Wet, multiplate slipper clutch
Brakes; Brembo ABS front and rear
Suspension; Ohlins Electronically adjustable with 4 settings
Ducati adjustable traction control

Associate
OP
Old enough to know that sportsbikes make me ache after a long blast ;)

A mate of mine has one of these and he loves it .

No chicken strips on his tyres and has already touched his boots and the side stand down. He's off to Italy on it in a couple of weeks with the matching rear luggage and panniers attached.

Sounds like the best of both worlds, but we shall see ;):D

Report to follow.

Associate
Have yet to see one in the flesh, but the reviews make it sound awesome, and endless fun messing with the different modes, setups etc. Hella expensive though!

Associate
OP
Base model £10,995 , Sport Model £14,250

Surely you didn't think they would be cheap :D:D

I'll see what its like and agreed I can chop in my 999R as a straight swop which still leaves me with the 1098S as a track bike.

Just have to see if its as good as they say it is now ;)

spp

spp

Associate
My father has just bought one of these, I think he gets it in July. I'm really looking forward to taking it out for a spin myself :D. Everything I've read about it has been positive so far.

Associate
OP
As promised my mini review of the Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Well firstly the looks are growing on me very fast , its just looks different enough to be special. Available in Black , White or Red I think the black looks best as the lines flow better with the carbon fibre. The 20 litre fuel tank gives it a good range too.

Having a look around the bike its large and very well built with lashings of carbon fibre everywhere , nose piece , side inserts , front mudguard , rear hugger , air tubes , engine protection and a few other bits I can't remember. That alone is not like Ducati who always have offered their own make CF at very high prices ! The front screen is adjustable for rake and height.

This is very high bike ! I have a 31" inside leg and can't put my feet flat on the ground, (more of that later) there is a lower seat available for no extra cost should you wish to have it.

Lots of lockable cubby holes for drinks , change etc was a good point. The key is electronic and the bike is armed with the key and then a press button start.

This is a quiet bike , mainly engine noise and little exhaust noise , there is a 2 into 1 termignoni end can available for that extra noise should you want it. It having a wet clutch helps with the noise of course.

Instruments are LCD well lit and very comprehensive with the usual settings for lap timers and stopwatches etc. From the handlebar toggle switches you can change almost everything !

I had a quick play with the Ohlins electronic suspension settings. There are 4 main settings Sport, Enduro, Touring and Urban. For each of these settings is a submenu with 4 additional settings for each mode. Single , Pillion , Loaded , & Loaded and Pillion

Now how weird it was to feel the bike moving under me while I played with these settings , softening off for urban and the seat height lowering (now I could put my feet flat on the ground) to sport mode and the suspension firming up and ride height increasing. Never had that before LOL Just to say for each of these modes there are 3 different engine maps dry, wet, & sport that either increase or decrease engine power as they are selected.

I don't think I would ever use the Enduro setting but this can customised to a setting all of your own like 'Hyper Sport' , hell yes :D
Traction control (DTC) has eight settings from 1 nearly off to 8 which will help with cornering in difficult conditions. You get the DTC to bang and you are doing something very silly ! It can of course be turned off altogether. As can the heated grips which got nice and toasty pretty quickly

Lets get this thing out on the road ! Riding position is upright and very comfortable, mirrors are excellent and the view over other traffic is very good due its high ground clearance.

Set on urban single rider with DTC on 2 its very docile and easy to handle around town and filtering in traffic.

But you don't want to know that , out in the country now :D Switched to Sport and gave it a handful , good god ! The torque nearly tears my arms off as I'm used to riding sports bikes in the fetal position with my weight forward, it takes off like a scalded rat and just keeps pulling ! Everything feels stable and connected under me. 100mph is reached stupidly quickly and very easily in second. I hit the brakes hard, and the Brembo ABS lets me know its working and stops me very very quickly and in a straight line ! ABS is independant front and rear not a linked system like the Honda has. The gearshift is a delight especially on down changes due to the slipper clutch. I have one on my sports bike so was used to it already.

I set off again and pull a wheelie which the traction control objects to due the different wheel speeds drops the power to the rear and lowers the front end in a controlled manner. Didn't turn it off altogether as I was told not to ;)

This thing is very very quick and feels as powerful as my 1098 with tons of grunt. Tyres were Pirelli Scorpions which did a great job getting warm with lots of feel. Flying into a series of bends I chucked it about and it felt so planted as would be expected from Ducati I even had my bum half off the seat racing stylie til I felt my slider touchdown ! I was so shocked I had to do it again to make sure it really happened ! This thing really does handle !

It will scare more than a few sports bikes out there as it has been around Mugello just 1.5 seconds slower than a 1198 superbike riden by Ducati's test rider.

The panniers are a good size and easily clipped on and off. This is quality italian designed kit as is the top box.

I'm not convinced about the weather protection , the screen does its job just fine directing airflow over my head but you are still pretty open to the elements. Then again its a bike after all ;)

To sum up , I've ridden bikes for quite a few years now , well over 30 years actually , and this thing is very very good. As good as a BMW GS ? Easily better and by a long long way! I really didn't want to take it back but pulled up grinning. Yep its a very very impressive machine. A bike for all seasons ? Maybe.

I loved it , book price on the 1200S is £14,250 and don't expect discounts !

Now wheres that stealer, lets talk. :D:D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
oooops should have been 20 litres :D

Like I said its a marmite look but you certainly know what it is ;)

I love the beak , and its all in carbon fibre :cool:

Back
Top Bottom