test server setup

Associate
Hi

I have got my hands on a HP ML370 G4 server, and want to use it to start to learn more about the server side of things.

Would it be best to set it up as a 2003 server and connect up to a switch and add a client into the equation, basically I want to get to grips with setting up a network albeit on a very small scale, dhcp, dns, ad, maybe ris/wds in future.

Or would it be best to put vmware server on it and do it all virtually?

Cheers

Man of Honour
To learn much of meaning you'll need two servers I'd say, so stick vmware on there...

One server means you can do DHCP, DNS, AD etc for a single client but that's quick stuff. With a second server you can start understanding AD a bit better and doing more complex stuff...

Associate
OP
cool is it just standard vmware server to use? Is it replication over 2 DC's your talking about or setting up separate sites with multiple domains that i'll be able to do with 2 servers?

Man of Honour
cool is it just standard vmware server to use? Is it replication over 2 DC's your talking about or setting up separate sites with multiple domains that i'll be able to do with 2 servers?

Whatever it'll take really, I'd install ESXi if it'll run but I don't know on a G4 class server. Seperate sites is a possiblity, sub domains, inter domain trusts and the like are all good stuff to know about...loads you can do with multiple servers...

Back
Top Bottom