Testing a New PC Build

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm a way off completing my build while I wait for component availability, so I thought to look into initial setup and tests to run when the build is complete. My config is along the lines of:

Case: Fractal Meshify C
Mobo: MSI X570 Tomahawk WiFi
CPU: Ryzen 3600xt (upgrade to 5600x later)
GPU: Radeon RX 5700 XT (Upgrade to 3070 later)
RAM: Crucial Ballistic 32gb 3600MHz

Running Windows 10

I want to run any relevant/recommended performance tests to make sure all components are doing what they should and can be called on to ramp up the performance when necessary. I also want to make sure the noise levels don't go beyond their spec (as in, they're not faulty) when they have to work harder.

I have only ever built my home server and I've forgotten everything I did with that. I don't know how to update motherboard bios. I have never ran performance tests and of course I am currently unaware of other aspects of initial setup that would nicely round off my build and make it perform like it should.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
OP
I've been doing a little digging and one YouTube video suggests installing these free programs:

TechPowerUp GPU-Z
CPUID HWMonitor
Unigine Heaven Benchmark
MSI Afterburner
OBS

I note of course that they're not really tests aside from Heaven.
Are there preferred free programs that test and/or monitor all the other components?
Really I just want to make sure my entire PC is healthy and all the parts are working as they should.
Unless advised otherwise, I intend on leaving things stock, or only slightly tweaking if necessary. This will be a work PC so I don't want to run risks.

Soldato
Heaven and OCCT if you really feel the need, i think most issues will self-evidently present themselves most of the time otherwise under normal/regular use.

Associate
If the system is all stock with no overclock then there's little point imo tbh.

You could run something like rog real bench, pcmark etc for a full system shakedown for peace of mind.

The only temp you'll want to keep an eye on is cpu core temp to make sure your cpu cooler is seated correctly. Core temp app will do this for you. Just run it whilst real bench etc is running.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the comments. I won't be seriously overclocking but if there's good reason to make minor tweaks to ensure the PC purrs along nicely then I'll do it.

My reason for this thread is to know which programs will tell me all my components are working as they should be, no faults detected and they're playing nice with each other.

I didn't want to just put everything together, turn it on and stick Windows on it, assuming everything is OK.

Back
Top Bottom