Testing new WP theme on live site?

Soldato
Im going to install a new WP theme but it needs a few adjustements and tweaks to it before rolling it out to the public. Is there a way that I can work on it on my website but keep the actual site live on the old theme for visitors? Or what are the alternatives if thats not possible?

Thanks.

Soldato
Not really. You can use the "live preview" option and change the built-in customisation options without actually applying the theme to your live site but you can't do anything where you add custom code and things like that.

It would be easiest to set up a test site and work on that then copy that onto the live site when you're ready.

Caporegime
Is it on a Linux server at the minute?

if it is I would get a copy of it along with the database and create a local copy (running XAMPP if you’re on Windows) that you can apply the new theme to and then when you’re happy with it push it to the live site, obviously this will require some configuration and changes to get working but would be the best way forward IMHO.

Failing that create a staging.yourdomain.co.uk sub domain and get a copy of the site up and running there to do your changes on.

just make sure to make a note of the files you edit (maybe use a child theme) so you don’t do a theme update and overwrite your changes and then have to go back and try to remember what you updated.

:D

Back
Top Bottom